$1,400.00

2. skip the rebuilt transmissions - get an '06 odyssey tranny (1 reports)
2002 Acura CL transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Acura CL:

2002 Acura CL Owner Comments

Apr 232014

CL

i'm done with Acura and Honda, transmission slips and almost caused my brother to crash 5 times, it cost $1400 to replace the transmission . Honda really have slipped with their cars, never had issues with their 90's models , the newer models have a lot of problems with transmissions..

- , Richmond, VA, USA

Mar 012011

CL Type S 3.2L V6

2002 Acura CL-S is probably the worst car I have ever owned (so far) .

Back in its early years I have had chronic issues in suspension - Rocker arm craps out due to built quality. Well I am not going gripe about much of the suspension issue, the most problematic part of this car is the transmission. Back in 2003 (after almost 2 years of ownership of the car) I notice something different about this car. Transmission shifts is not as smooth as before - then several months later - I received a letter from Honda America that my 2002 CL was part of the transmission recall. I was like YEY! - Honda is take care of the issue. Later found out that Honda did a "band-aid" to the problem. They put an "oil jet" kit to the transmission - This oil jet kit - helps transmission lubricate the 2nd gear (Note : Transmission recall describes that 2nd gear does not have adequate lubrication and will break due to heat ). I was skeptical about the fix - I was expecting Honda was going to replace the transmission -so I joined the Acura Forums - Called Acurazine = to see how many Acura Owners affected about this issue - Surprisingly - its like 9 out 10 have same issues.

Someone told me if I change the transmission fluids before 15K - It should be fine - Yes it did help -- but at the time Acura hits 121K - Issue got worst - I have frequent slips and and downshifts with this car. I'm surprised that I was able to drive this car for 9 months --

I had a close call accident in the freeway. It was warm cozy weather afternoon on the freeway - cruising at 75mph -- then all of a sudden - the transmission downshifts itself and my speed goes from 75 to 40mph . Car behind me was lucky enough to move to different lane and the other car behind him was able to slowdown in time. I called Acura - and they didn't even budge - cost of the new transmission + labor is $5.5K -- Went back to the Honda fan boy site -Acurazine - someone posted there that Honda Odyssey 2006 will be the best replacement.- So that's what I did - works so far - no issues

- , Concord, CA, USA