NHTSA — Power Train Problems

2001 Acura MDX (Page 1 of 2)

2001 Acura MDX drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Acura MDX:

2001 Acura MDX Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Mar 102015

MDX

The contact owns a 2001 Acura MDX. While driving 45 to 50 mph, the front end of the vehicle jerked and the engine, maintenance required, vtm-4, and air bag indicators remained illuminated. The vehicle was pulled over to the side of the road, restarted, and driven to the contact's residence. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign number: 04V176000 (power train). The manufacturer was notified. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 201,000.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 082016

MDX

SRS light is on, engine light is transmission is miss firing, fuel tank has a link. Transmission been fix on a recall before

- Houston, TX, USA

May 012016

MDX 6-cyl

Takata recall I have a 2001 aura MDX and when I first got the vehicle w months ago like 2 weeks after I was on the freeway and the D 5 light started to flash the speedometer went all the way down and the RPM was high then the speedometer went back up it did it a couple of times but I was still going the same speed it jerked a little bit I pulled over tried to put in park but it was stuck so I pushed the shift unlock and I was able to put it in park then everything seemed fine but the check engine light stayed on now a month in a half later it would stall to go when I'm taking off the roads were blocked off so I attempted to do a U turn I pulled in someone's parking lot and tried to reverse out and couldn't it would just rev two guys helped me and pushed it out thank god I had my infant with me and older daughter I was able to go forward to make it back home but the whole way the car was revving loud and the RPM was high and when came to. A stop it would rev then jerk hard and go luckily I didn't crash into the car in front of me there should definitely be a recall on these considering seeing how many people have the same issue ita crazy and I had always thought Acura were very good running cars please fix this issue in overall I love the Acura MDX and would have hoped it lasted me longer I hope it is addressed thank you

- Newark, CA, USA

Feb 042016

MDX

The contact owns a 2001 Acura MDX. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vtm warning indicator illuminated. The contact also stated that the vehicle hesitated when shifting. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 249,000.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Nov 292015

MDX

Two issues with drive-train: First is a grind/rumble (like driving over a highway rumble strip) felt at low speeds (20-30 mph) with light acceleration. Shakes vehicle slightly. Can be reproduced. Vehicle can accelerate through the grinding/rumbling by further depressing accelerator and sometimes accelerates through the 20-30 mph range without noticeable grinding/rumbling. If, however, the vehicle is accelerating slowly and it does begin to grind/rumble, maintaining a consistent speed/RPM level (without drastic change in road surface or grade that would cause computer to change gear due to increased/decreased friction) the driver can create a continued duration of the grinding/rumbling until releasing of further depressing the accelerator to change out of that gear/RPM/speed/load combination which results in the grinding/rumbling described above. The second issue is a whirring/lugging during highway speed cruising on level surface with D5 automatic transmission gear engaged. Once the vehicle accelerates above around 45 mph, more consistently at speeds above 50 mph, on level terrain at consistent speed via accelerator or cruise-controlled, the vehicle will frequently increase by approximately 200-300 RPM and begin to make a whirring sound which lasts a few seconds then the RPM return to previous speed and the whirring subsides. A few seconds later the same thing occurs and this cycle continues throughout the duration of the maintained speed. The phenomenon is more noticeable with cruise-control as the speed and rpms likely have more computer regulation but it is also noticeable without cruise-control engaged. My concern is that in either situation the transmission internals could be worn in a manner not intended by manufacturer resulting in overheating or breaking of internal components that could cause a sudden and violent reaction of the speeding vehicle.

- Apex, NC, USA

Nov 172015

MDX

The contact owns a 2001 Acura MDX. While at a traffic light with the brake pedal depressed, the vehicle lunged forward. The contact also stated that the supplemental restraint system warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 161,218.

- Pacific, MO, USA

Nov 082012

MDX

The contact owns a 2001 Acura MDX. While attempting to accelerate from a traffic light, the check engine light illuminated and the vehicle failed to accelerate. The rpms rapidly increased. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the transmission was faulty and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The contact stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 04V176000 (power train). The approximate failure mileage was 129,000.

- Lincoln, NE, USA

Dec 012014

MDX

The contact owns a 2001 Acura MDX. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the transmission seized. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 164,000.

- Andover, MN, USA

Oct 032014

MDX 6-cyl

Transmission slipping, jerking forward and failing to shift gears.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Dec 052014

MDX 6-cyl

Vehicle/transmission constantly jerks after reading numerous forums of individuals that have spent thousands on replacements for recurring issue...this needs to be recalled and transmission needs to be replaced/repaired.

- Accokeek, MD, USA

Jul 102014

MDX

The contact owns a 2001 Acura MDX. The contact stated that the vehicle violently lunged forward intermittently. The dealer stated that the transmission needed to be replaced. The VIN was excluded from NHTSA campaign number: 04V176000 (power train). The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The VIN provided was invalid. The approximate failure mileage was 137,000.

- Hartsdale, NY, USA

Aug 012014

MDX 6-cyl

Car keeps slipping like it's trying shift gears. Jerk like when speeding up. Now check engine light is on and does not pick up speed. Driving on D5. Is this a known issue? this is dangerous and can cause accidents.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Jun 012010

MDX 6-cyl

Own a 2001 Acura MDX (since 105K miles) and I noticed on driving an intermittent - what almost sounded like gear grinding. Is that possibly shuttering. The sound comes and goes unpredictably but seems to occur most in the 42-50mph range - without any dramatic RPM changes. Normally during shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear, sometimes sound like loud drum brake vibration or shaking, scary and at 150,000 mile when I took it for tradein at buerkley Acura mpls mn they admitted it has faulty tc but before that last 6-7 years I took it to white bear Acura & so more dealers they completely denied it has any issue with tranny or tc, according to them the tech could not reproduce the noise/vibration, now they are saying just avoid driving in D4 to avoid the issue, im really felt like being cheated by fraud company with poor ethics!

- Saint Cloud, MN, USA

Mar 282013

Transmission failure.

- Gladstone, OR, USA

Mar 132013

MDX 4-cyl

2nd occurrence) during the month of October 2012, I was driving when the speedometer moved up and down really fast. The car felt like it was going to shut off. I had to put the car in park and press the gas pedal to keep in running. On my way to the mechanic the car accelerated really fast with a hard jerking motion. It cut off when I stopped at the street light. I turned the car back on and drove no more than fifteen feet when it started jerking again. The mechanic said I needed to replace the idle unit the valves. 3rd occurrence) during the month of March 2013, I was driving to vegas when the car started smoking I pulled over to let the car cool. I restarted the car and drove a few miles when it began to lose power and smoke and. I called aaa and got towed to a mechanic who told me I needed a new transmission. Which he quoted me $3,400 for a one year warranty.

Oct 252012

Jul 152010

MDX 6-cyl

1st occurrence) during the month of March 2011, the car started jerking while I was driving. It would speed up then lose power. It was very hard to stop the car. I took it to a mechanic who put it on a machine that showed I needed a new transmission. I paid $2,800 for a rebuilt 90 day warranty transmission. Something must be done to bring awareness to this issue along with reimbursing customers for having to spend their money repeatedly for issues that keep occurring. I need help in finding out how I can submit a claim for reimbursement to cover the cost of Honda's faulty manufacturer defect.

Aug 012006

MDX

My MDX shakes while driving not specific to acceleration, but periodically it will shake severely for a few seconds and stop with no intervention from me. I do not slow down or stop when this hard shaking occurs--course it's normal for me but my passengers are startled and concerned. This MDX has bee doing this for years. Dealer says I need a new transmission. Other repair facilities have investigated and tried repairs that did not resolve the problem. This MDX also "growls" there is a loud sound that is heard while driving that ends with the vehicle nearly stalling out but I continue to press on the accelerator and it has so far not stalled. I brought this to the attention of the dealer also during the inspection for severe shaking and I was told I needed a new transmission. This was 4 years ago and I am still driving the vehicle with these concerns. Since the original complaints of shaking and loud growling sounds I have had issues with the gear shifter. When I wanted to put the gear in drive it would not go. There was something preventing it from moving-locked maybe? I used the key release for the gear and put the car in neutral to start the engine and then into drive. This happens sporadically maybe a couple times a year so far. I have not had this issue investigated. I started to hear front end sounds almost immediately after the recall work was performed by the dealership. Since that dealership and I had a mutual disagreement that was distasteful enough to cause me not to return there I have tolerated the clunking sounds from my front end. Now that particular dealer is no longer in business (sold the franchise) I am bringing my vehicle back to the dealer for possible investigation of the front-end noise.

- South Euclid, OH, USA

Jul 132013

MDX

The contact owns a 2001 Acura MDX. The contact stated that after parking the vehicle, the vehicle independently shifted into drive and rolled down a residential driveway. The rear bumper of the vehicle crashed into a tree. There were no injuries. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis but they were unable to duplicate the problem. The VIN was not available. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 118,000.

- Marietta, OH, USA

Feb 172013

MDX

The contact owns a 2001 Acura MDX. The contact stated that while driving approximately 10 mph, the gears seized unexpectedly for a brief moment with a loud unusual noise. The failure occurred whenever accelerating from a complete stop. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnosis. The technician stated that the transmission would need to be replaced. In 2006, the vehicle had been repaired under NHTSA campaign id number 04V176000 (power train). The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Stockton, CA, USA