9.1

$4,800.00

1. replacement (6 reports)
  2. rebuild transmission (1 reports)
2001 Acura MDX transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Acura MDX:

2001 Acura MDX Owner Comments

Feb 152010

MDX Touring 3.5L

Purchased this beast in 2004 with 56000 miles on the clock. The transmission went out a little over 100000 miles. Now I have 220000 on the clock and it's still ticking. All in all besides the tranny problems with Acura and Honda it hasn't been too bad. Still, 5 grand out of pocket sucks no matter how handsome I am.

- , Floyds Knobs, IN, USA

Jan 212014

MDX

UP TO MY FOURTH TRANSMISSION. 2001 ACURA MDX BOUGHT THE CAR WITH 30K MILES, FIRST TRANSMISSION FAILED AT 78K, THANK GOD FOR EXTENDED WWARRANTY. NEXT TRANSMISSION WENT AT 178K, DEALER TRIED TO GROSSLY OVERCHARGE ME (CLINTON NJ ACURA-BAD SERVICE). CALLED CORPORATE ACURA OFFICE AND THEY MET A COMPETITORS PRICE. WENT RIGHT BACK TO THE JERK SERVICE MGR. AND HE SAID"SURE, WE'LL DO IT FOR THAT PRICE!' WHAT A CROOK!.... NOW I AM UP TO MY FOURTH TRANSMISSION AT 308,000-SLIPPAGE AGAIN. DO THE MATH, UNDER MY OWNERSHIP, 278,000 MILES=3TRANSMISSIONS= 92,700 PER TRANSMISSION.....

LOVE MY CAR..TOTALLY MAINTAIN, CHANGE THE OIL AND TRANSMISSION FLUID .CAN'T WAIT TO GET THE PRICE FROM MY CURRENT MECHANIC!

- , Trenton, NJ, canada

Oct 012012

MDX Touring V6

This is my second acura. I first owned a 2000 Acura TL 3.2 and this should have been my first clue to problems as it needed a transmission at 30,000 miles (warranty) traded that on a 2001 Acura MDX. The first transmission was replaced at 70,000 miles (extended warranty) and now I need another transmission at 145,000 miles. I have made a decision to trade this back to Acura on a used Jeep on their lot. Now the dealer can have back the problem they sold to me. It started at 90,000 miles (before my extended warranty ran out) and when I took it to the dealer they were unable to verify the problems even left it there over night for the tech to drive my car home and locate the failure. When I hit 130,000 it got much worse and suddenly the found I needed a torque converter and replaced it. It gets better now 15,000 miles later the same noise is heard I take it back and NOW IT NEEDS A TRANSMISSION!!!! Can't wait to dump it and get in my Jeep.

- , St.Charles, MO, USA

Oct 232012

MDX 3.5L V6

Transmission started slipping, flaring and involuntarily downshifting. Dealer quoted $6k to fix it, Acura/Honda denied sharing any part of the expense. Had it rebuilt/repaired at a third party aftermarket transmission shop for $4k.

- , Minneapolis, MN, USA

Sep 012011

MDX

I cant believe how expensive the Acura Transmission is to fix, especially since it appears to be a very common issue. My Acura vibrates like you are driving over a rumble strip when it gets to about 60 miles an hour. it will lug at low speeds when the transmission is hot. this is very disappointing, i expected more from an acura.

- , Auburn, WA, USA

May 012008

MDX V6

I have performed all regular scheduled maintenance at the dealer and all of a sudden, the transmission started making "grunting noises" and sounding/feeling like I was driving over rumble strips at various speeds. I spoke with Acura and even though they have records that I have performed all maintenance with an Acura dealer and there was an initial recall with the transmission, they said they will not help to cover the cost of the transmission :(

- , Alexandria, VA, USA

Apr 012008

MDX Touring 3.5L V6

unbelievable for a good car...unacceptable..this problem is all over the internet and knows it and should do something to fix these totally lemon tranny probs their cost! Going to cost $5000.00

- , Saskatoon, Sask., Canada