1.3

2003 Acura MDX engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Acura MDX:

2003 Acura MDX Owner Comments

Jan 032014

MDX 6-cyl

I warmed vehicle up and when I went to drive out of the drive it wouldn't go forward or backwards, but slowly it kicked in. I started down the road and it would go away then just stop right where I was.I would shut it off, then restart and it would go then stop dead in the road. Then it wouldn't go at all.I was on a sharp curve on a small hill and was almost hit twice by an 18 wheeler.I had to back down this hill on this curve and almost went over the embankment.I called my mechanic who came, and he tried to drive it doing the same as it did to me.unfortunately he had to back, it down a bigger hill into someone's driveway, and then it had to be towed.prior to this I had not had one problem, but not a good day for this to happen it -9 degrees.I am trying to find out from Honda if others have had any problems like this.I was out in frigid temps for over 2 hours, and not only am I 65, but I am a severe diabetic.I live way out in the country and now have no transportation for emergencies, and I certainly can't have the car fixed, they are saying $3000-3500.can you please give me any info, this can't be a first.

- Locke,, NY, USA

Mar 202013

MDX 6-cyl

Went to dealer and they said vehicle has bad engine mounts, and need to be replaced. Note that we also have a 2004 Honda Pilot, and the dealer also told us that some engine mounts needs replacement. We checked some blogs for Acura MDX and Honda Pilot owners, and found a lot of owners with same issues. Some are being replaced every two years. We onwed a V6 Toyota for 15 years, never had this issue. We hope NHTSA will check this, because it is a known issue to owners and Acura/Honda will never admit. I'm sure if NHTSA will get repair records for this "engine mount" issues, it will be a lot. From what I read, this affects drive shafts due to excessive movement of the engine.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Feb 272013

MDX 6-cyl

Torque converter shudder or vibration between 35 and 40 mph. ****also transmission slipped while driving on the highway. The SUV acted as if it was in neutral and wouldn't move even though I was pushing the gas and the rpms went up. I was almost rear-ended by the driver behind me but he was able to quickly switch into another lane, then miraculously my SUV started to go again. It also happened again in the middle of an intersection while I was driving. Luckily the oncoming traffic was far enough away and the transmission picked back up in time and I was able to get out of the way. I had my children in the SUV, a 6 month old baby girl and a 6 yr old boy. Its a seven passenger vehicle so it should be expected that children may be in the SUV. I don't think Honda/Acura should wait until someone is killed or seriously injured to issue a recall. Its not even just about the cost of repairs, what about the value of people's lives" does it need to be on the news first for a change to occur" owners of the 2003 Acura MDX need to know that there is a potentially deadly safety defect with this vehicle and repairs need to be made asap!

- Laurel, MD, USA

Sep 182012

MDX

The contact owns a 2003 Acura MDX. While driving approximately 30 mph, the contact noticed fluid leaking continuously onto the road. Once the contact reached their destination, it was determined that a large quantity of transmission fluid had leaked from the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer who advised the contact that the failure was contributed to a faulty part within the radiator causing coolant to leak into the transmission. As a result, the transmission was damaged. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 163,000.

- Dewitt, MI, USA