NHTSA — Air Bags Problems

2003 Acura MDX (Page 1 of 2)

2003 Acura MDX seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Acura MDX:

2003 Acura MDX Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 122016

MDX

Takata recall there are four recalls on my car and the nearest Acura dealership is 200 miles away. There is a local Honda dealership that could do the airbag recall, but Acura claims that since there are several recalls that it needs to be done at the Acura dealership. I don't have the time to take an entire day to get this fixed. Acura keeps referring me back to the dealership and the dealership keeps referring me back to Acura.

- Idaho Falls, ID, USA

Aug 072016

MDX

The contact owns a 2003 Acura MDX. While driving 70 mph, a metal piece of a street sign that was lying on the ground struck the contact's vehicle. The metal bar split the control arm in two. The air bags did not deploy. The contact was not injured and a police report was not filed. The vehicle was towed to a tow lot. The vehicle was repaired. In addition, the air bag warning indicator remained illuminated. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 114,000.

- Chambersburg, PA, USA

Feb 132016

MDX

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2003 Acura MDX. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 15V045000 (air bags), 15V320000 (air bags), and 16V344000 (air bags); however, the parts to do the repairs were unavailable. The manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repairs. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Jamaica, VT, USA

Jul 012016

MDX

The SRS (air bag) may fail to deploy in an accident if the driver's seat belt is unbuckled at any point during the drive, even if it is subsequently buckled prior to and during the accident. With the engine running, if I unbuckle the seat belt, the seat belt warning light does not illuminate, however, the SRS (air bag) warning light does illuminate. When I start the vehicle the SRS and seat belt light are usually both illuminated for the ignition test period of 3-5 seconds. If I don¿T buckle the seat belt, the seat belt warning light will remain illuminated and the SRS light will go out after the 3-5 second test period after the ignition is turned on. Once I buckle the seat belt, the seat belt warning light goes out. If I then unbuckle the seat belt while the engine is running (ignition remains on) the seat belt warning light does not come on, but the SRS warning light does come on. If I then buckle the seat belt again, the SRS warning light stays on until I turn off the ignition. Once I restart the engine and buckle the seat belt, the SRS warning light will go out. In addition, I have witnessed numerous occasions when the SRS warning light illuminated without any action towards the seat belt buckle. This leads me to believe that there are cases where the switch fails even when the seat belt remains buckled. It is my understanding, that while the SRS warning light is illuminated, the SRS (air bag) will not deploy during an accident. If this were to happen, even though the seat belt is buckled, the SRS would fail to deploy. My research indicates that a failure of the switch in the driver's seat belt buckle causes this condition and that replacement of the seat belt buckle assembly is required to remedy this.

- Boxborough, MA, USA

Jul 072016

MDX

It is my understanding that the replacement airbags in my vehicle contain ammonium nitrate that is unstable and could lead to death and /or injury to the driver and passengers. I would like to get replacement airbags that do not use ammonium nitrate or other known unstable chemicals that cause explosions that leads to death and /or injury when used as intended.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Jul 072016

- Irvine, CA, USA

Apr 152016

MDX

I had all recalls repaired a lou sobh Honda in cumming ga. Acura was clear that some of the recalls I had done would have to be paid by me but would be promptly refunded. I supplied all receipts and now (over 10 weeks later) have still never been reimbursed. Pathetic customer service.

- Buford, GA, USA

Jun 192015

MDX

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2003 Acura MDX. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V370000 (air bags); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. The VIN was not available.

- Sunnyvale, CA, USA

Jan 202016

MDX

I took my MDX in for recall 15-011 recall SRS unit malfunction on 1/20/2016. The vehicle was in perfect working condition when I dropped it off. When I picked the unit up 3 lights are on in the dash SRS, airbag off, airbag warning light. I ask the service writer what this is they said the new recall parts are not compatible with my system if I want it repaired it needs a new control unit $1400

- Pine, CO, USA

Dec 162015

MDX

The contact owns a 2003 Acura MDX. While depressing the brake pedal to come to a complete stop, the air bags inadvertently deployed without warning. As a result of the air bag deployment, the contacts view of the road was obstructed, causing the contact to rear end another vehicle. A police report was filed. The contact sustained minor injuries that required medical attention. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was awaiting inspection. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Santa Rosa Beach, FL, USA

Jul 312015

MDX

The contact owns a 2003 Acura MDX. The contact received a notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V045000 (air bags); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Westhepstep, NY, USA

Mar 022015

MDX

The contact owns a 2003 Acura MDX. The contact received a notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V045000 (air bags) however, the recall part was not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer had exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Boynton Beach, FL, USA

Sep 172015

MDX

I received a recall notice and made an appointment to have my vehicle repaired. Upon taking it to the dealership and them fixing it I drove home my car immediately began running hot. I called the dealership back and he told me to bring it back in. I was issued a loaner vehicle. I received a call stating that my radiator had somehow come loose and that my engine was blown. I was so upset so I called back and told him my mechanic was coming with me now all of a sudden the engine is not blown but instead warped and can be machined. I feel they damaged my vehicle by doing the recall and they don't want to take accountability for it. Please help me.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Dec 302014

MDX

The contact owns a 2003 Acura MDX. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 15V045000 (air bags); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jan 282015

MDX

The contact owns a 2003 Acura MDX. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V045000: (air bags); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The VIN was invalid. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Jacksville, FL, USA

Mar 092015

MDX

The contact owns a 2003 Acura MDX. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 15V320000 (air bags) and 15V045000 (air bags) and stated that the part was not available for several months. The dealer stated that the vehicle was unsafe to drive and needed to remain at the dealer until the part arrives in August. The manufacturer was notified. The contact was not able to drive the vehicle for months until the part became available. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Elmwood Park , IL, USA

Oct 102014

MDX

In October of 2014 SRS light came on in my 2003 Acura md. Acura reported faulty SRS unit and replaced unit at owners expense. At same service appointment, Acura replaced air bag inflator under recall (sb 14-029) under warranty. Subsequently, another airbag recall (sb-14-023) was completed 12/9/14. SRS unit now placed on recall list by NHTSA. Owner applied to american Honda for reimbursement of costs to replace defective SRS unit (10/14) but was denied because "there was no deployment of air bag prior to the replacement" (10/14). I'm confused. This particular year/model SRS unit is being recalled/replaced due to the potential for life threatening deployment problems. In addition there were several other recalls associated with this model's airbag system clearly indicating that there were/are problems with the 2003 Acura MDX. Fortunately, my SRS unit in question was replaced (for noted defects) prior to a disastrous deployment. As such, why am I not being reimbursed for the prior replacement of my unit that has now been placed on the recall list?

- Valley, AZ, USA

May 042015

MDX

The contact owns a 2003 Acura MDX. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V351000 (air bags) and 15V045000 (air bags); however, the parts needed to repair the vehicle were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Elmwood Park , IL, USA

Jun 202014

MDX

The contact owns a 2003 Acura MDX. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V351000 (air bags) and 14V700000 (air bags); however, the part needed to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced the failure.

- Georgetown , TX, USA

Mar 192015

MDX

The contact owns a 2003 Acura MDX. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V351000 (air bags); however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Idaho Falls, ID, USA