Seat Belt Shorted Out

2003 Acura MDX seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Acura MDX:

2003 Acura MDX Owner Comments

Nov 252013

MDX Touring V6

click to see larger images

seat belt shorted out seat belt shorted out seat belt shorted out seat belt shorted out seat belt shorted out seat belt shorted out

I was driving on the carpool lane of 170N with my two kids (heading to 5N) when there was suddenly a dog, yellow Labrador crossing the freeway and getting right on my lane. I tried to slow down and break but it was too late,I hit the dog right on the front of my car. I felt my seat belt tighten uncomfortably thereafter and I released it so I can reset and put it again, but it won't pull to reach the port on my right side,it seemed stuck. It was right around that time we started smelling smoke, after we hit the dog. My kids and I were looking around where the smoke was coming until my daughter who was sitting right on my back (driver's) said "Mom there's smoke on the back"..(I was on the bottom of the 170N freeway joining 5N) so I was able to drive on the shoulder and pull over and told the kids to "Get out of the car, NOW!"

I didn't see where the smoke really was because my concern was to get ourselves out and to stop the car safely. We ran away from the car about 30-50 feet away. There was a gentleman who pulled on the shoulder and asked what's going on and lend me his phone (I left everything in the car). He checked on the car and thought "it was OK".. I told myself I can get my phone and purse still so I ran back and got it (there was some smoke inside I can't tell where it was from) . By the time I ran back to my kids and the gentleman it was already smelling smoke from where we are and in maybe a second there was some fire visible from the drivers side,on the door side inside..and then my daughter told me "mom the smoke was coming from the hole of the seat belt on the wall, it was going to me so I moved on the other side".

Seeing the fire I called 911 at 2:57pm to alarm and make them aware. I asked the gentleman to take us a safe place away from the car because I was afraid the car would consequently explode.

- , Granada Hills, CA, USA