1.6

2004 Acura MDX brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Acura MDX:

2004 Acura MDX Owner Comments

Jan 012015

MDX

The contact owns a 2004 Acura MDX. The contact stated that the brake system failed. The contact had to engage the brake pedal at a longer distance to be able to stop. In addition, the brake pedal would remain stuck to the floorboard when depressed and the brake warning light illuminated while the failure occur. The contact diagnosed that the stability assist module failed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 171,000.

- Debuque, IA, USA

Jan 222016

MDX

Was driving car an the brakes locked up lights came on, vsa ABS ect. Had to park car as if brakes were stuck. Did not want brakes heating up causing accident

- Dubuque, IA, USA

Nov 012014

MDX 6-cyl

While driving, my car's anti-lock brakes engage and my vsa idiot light goes on simutaneously without any warning. I am not trying to brake when this happens. It does it all by itself every time I drive the car now. Speed doesn't matter. I am worried I can not maintain control on icy roads.

- Herndon, VA, USA

Feb 012010

MDX

Since about February 2010 the vehicle stability assist system will randomly activate during periods of prolonged highway driving. This condition usually happens on dry pavement and without warning. It feels like only the drivers side front brake is applied and the vehicle swerves to the right uncontrollably. The condition has nearly caused me to crash multiple times and is very frightening. I have had the Acura dealer troubleshoot the problem many times with no results. The most recent time this happened was early December 2013. I immediately dropped the vehicle off at an Acura dealer and the vehicle was diagnosed with a faulty lateral acceleration sensor. Unfortunately this part is not available at this time and is on indefinite backorder. This is a serious safety issue that has nearly caused harm to myself and other vehicles due to my out of control vehicle. I am now without transportation until Acura is able to get the part back in stock. Acura of America has refused to even log and file my complaint let alone assist me with this safety issue and hardship.

- Encinitas, CA, USA

Apr 052011

MDX 6-cyl

My 2004 Acura MDX does not brake properly in a panic type stop from any speed. Applying the brake pedal with maximum force does not generate enough hydraulic pressure to "lock the wheels" and activate the ABS on dry pavement. The ABS works well under other low friction circumstances such as rain, snow, and ice. The ABS and braking system have been checked and found to be working properly. Panic braking distances are long with the brake pedal pushed to the floor, the car feels as if it is not stopping fast enough on dry pavement. Normal, non panic braking seems to be normal. I have had new brake pads and rotors installed. Brake fluid has been flushed twice and I installed stainless steel flexible brake lines all of which made no difference in full panic braking. Over a few years I have had 3 independent shops check the brakes and all said that the brakes were normal. In April 2013, I had the Acura dealer evaluate the braking system and was told "normal, this is just how they brake". to do a comparison, I test drove a used 05 MDX at the Honda dealer and it braked exactly the same as my 04: No ability to activate the ABS in a full panic stop from any speed on dry pavement. Recently, Honda recalled 250,000 vehicles for a defective brake booster and the 01-06 MDX is not included in that recall. This recall was based on Honda's audit of warranty claims. Cars like my MDX are well beyond the warranty period and would never be found based on any warranty claim history. It is my belief that my 04 MDX (and likely other MDX vehicles) has a defective brake booster resulting in poor braking performance and creates a serious safety hazard. In May 2013, I sold my 04 MDX to the same Acura dealer who did the evaluation of the brakes. In June 2013, I contacted Acura hq and advised them of the problem and they are going to monitor for similar complaints.

- Granville, OH, USA