High Pitch Whine Under Load

1. replace differential in transmission (1 reports)
2004 Acura MDX drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Acura MDX:

2004 Acura MDX Owner Comments

Aug 012013

MDX Touring 3.5L V6

I reported this noise to the dealer and they told me it was the wind going over the shift cable, what a load of poo. I had told them I could hear it when I was on the gas pedal, when I let off the pedal, noise went away. How that translates to the shift cable, I'm not sure what they were thinking. I looked on line and most people with similar sound stated it was the transmission (not sure if this part is part of the transmission). anyway, I have been putting it off due to unemployment, and it's getting louder. My dealer (2 visits later) said the whole part (differential) needs replacing, $1200 and another $750 for labor. I blew my stack because I had the dreaded torque converter issue at 90K and Acura would not help me on that one. I will NOT have the dealer fix it. I will have an outside shop do the work as I have gotten a quote of under 1K. This SUV is a great vehicle if I don't look at the mountain of repair slips I have piled up in 8 years of ownership. Only a few repairs I could say were justifiable for the mileage (like the alternator at 230K).

- , Tewksbury, MA, USA