NHTSA — Power Train Problems

2005 Acura MDX (Page 1 of 2)

2005 Acura MDX drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Acura MDX:

2005 Acura MDX Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 242016

Auto parked, foot on brake, moved gear shift to park, foot off brake, car lurched forward with great velocity, hit concrete wall, ricochede off wall, started running backward. Put foot on emer. Brake car stopped. Airbag deployed but improperly inflated. Cuts and abrasions and bruising on left hand and right.airbag did not deploy into chest or face. Called aaa to have towed/called 21st century ins. For name of collision yard they worked with. Tow truck arrived_too big to get into parking lot. Driver asked for my keys -told him the car with physically disabled after airbag deployment and could not be driven. He took my keys, started the car and drove off. Not supposed to happpen. Went to emergent care and my primary physician and had cat scans run. New driver seat airbags are defective.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Sep 012012

My car's transmission system was damaged. Seems like it is a common problem with Acura MDX. I wonder why there is no recall. The dealer covered the remanufactured part but I still had to pay for labor that ran to ~$3000.

- Douglassville, PA, USA

Jan 012016

This is the second transmission I put in my car, warranty expired and car is starting to jerk and make noise when accelerating. It cost way to much money to keep replacing a transmission if all the transmissions are having the same problem. Way to many people are having this issue. Why hasn't this been recalled yet?

- Somers Point, NJ, USA

Mar 042016

Transmission started acting up while driving. The transmission fluid cooler connection to radiator failed due to corrosion and galvanic action. Lost all transmission fluid, coolant and transmission fluid got mixed in radiator. This is a known issue in Acura / Honda vehicle but manufacturer is not taking any action.

- Clifton, NJ, USA

Sep 262014

Transmission start making noise, jerking and problem in shifting. Sometimes it shakes alot. Lot of people had the same problem in the past. I dont understand why there is no recall

- Brampton, NY, USA

Sep 172014

I pulled car out of driveway and as I reacher speed of 25 miles it started jerking badly. It stopped after speed increased. Did not happened again for few days and from that day it is getting worse day by day. Lot of noise sometimes when its shifting gear. Also when I get on highway I can smell some fluid burning. Sometimes it jerk very badly on curves.

- Brampton Canada L6x4x1, NY, USA

Mar 182015

MDX 6-cyl

The transmission cooler connection blew out of the radiator, unfortunately there is no oil pressure switch for transmissions so I had no idea that the trans fluid was pouring all over the road. Lucky for me I was just leaving the house and my friend saw it and stopped me. Upon looking at the part -it has only 3 threads and I have found out this is a common thing for MDX and Pilot SUV's. I could have been in an accident due to the transmission failure that has resulted from this failure by others as I have seen on your site example:. ( Pilot ex-L 244hp 3.5L SOHC 24-valve automatic transmission failure).

- Moore Havin, FL, USA

Nov 242014

Transmission issues.

- Canton, MA, USA

Dec 062014

MDX 6-cyl

Found a strawberry milkshake in the radiator overflow tank. Diagnosis: Failure of transmission cooler inside of radiator.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Aug 162014

MDX 6-cyl

Gear shift lever became harder and harder to shift over the time and then seized. Noticed heavily corroded shift lever linkage at the transmission end. The linkage design seems to be a poor. Exposure to elements makes it to corrode and seize. I had to apply WD40 to loosen the linkage and then coat it heavily with anti-seize compound.

- Clifton, NJ, USA

Jun 132014

MDX 6-cyl

I was driving down the road when my car jerked and then would not shift out of 1st gear. I had to have it towed in and was told that my transmission needed to be replaced.

- Cleveland, TN, USA

Sep 242013

MDX 6-cyl

Transmission has intermittent vibration between 30-40 mph. Lasts approximately 10 seconds. Acura is aware of the problem but will not fix the transmission.

- Olathe, KS, USA

Sep 292013

As driving to work the vehicle all of a sudden stop shifting gears in the middle of the highway I was lucky enough to be able to stop to the right shoulder lane without getting into an accident. Prior to the car not shifting gears I heard a grinding metal noise coming from the middle of the engine, a noise that I've been hearing for the past couple of weeks. Come to find out it was the torque converter apparently it's a known issue that has been forwarded to Acura but they have done nothing in reference to it.

- Collingswood , NJ, USA

Jun 122013

I brought my car in for recall for the shift interlock 7250A2. A repair or replacement was done by pohanka Acura service. After the recall fix, I could still pull the key from the ignition while the care is in drive. I called the dealership and they are trying to fix it again today. I am complaining that the initial fix performed by the dealership was insufficient. I can forward a youtube link of the video if needed.

- Dunn Loring, VA, USA

Jan 032011

MDX 6-cyl

There's a shutter when driving between 35-45mph. I have read a few forums on this issue and it seems there is an update from Acura but, I have not received anything on this matter. According to other owners this has not fixed the issue. Other owners have to replace torque converters and even transmissions due to a manufacture defect which is not fair at all to us the consumer. Please help us.

- Hazleton, PA, USA

May 062013

MDX 6-cyl

Well I drive around 35 mph I hear this rumbling noise which as I later found out that it's the torque converter. So Acura pushed out product update (others are calling it a recall) to stop this from happening because ultimately it could cause the torque converter to lock up and your car may not shift or have the ability to move because the total transmission will go. Unfortunately this product update did not resolve the problem and I'm concerned that this may cause my car to stop on the middle of the highway and I won't be able to maneuver correctly.

- Lackawanna, NY, USA

Dec 162009

After you stop the car and keep in drive gear and pull the key out of ignition, the car rolls away.

- North Port, FL, USA

Jan 092013

MDX 6-cyl

There is a grinding noise when traveling 35-45 mph. The dealership says the torque converter needs to be replaced.

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 012012

MDX 6-cyl

The Acura MDX that we (myself and my wife) own began to show pronounced transmission problems during October, 2012. We purchased the vehicle only one month prior. Initially, after inspection by the dealer, we were told that the issues we were having with acceleration and downshifting related to clogged fuel injectors, but the problem did not diminish once they were cleaned. The vehicle would "rev" at high RPM's during acceleration and would "bang" and jolt when the vehicle downshifted. We had a thorough transmission inspection and learned that the vehicle's transmission was failing. It had a limited warranty which allowed for a used replacement transmission, which was installed by aamco in warwick, ri. Our out of pocket cost was still approximately $600.

- Johnston, RI, USA

Oct 142012

When traveling between 30-45 mph car has vibration and grumbling sound as if difficulty in changing gears. Took car to Acura dealer and was told torque converter needs to be replaced. I had the transmission flushed and hoping to have the car recalled since this seems to be an issue with other MDX's. was quoted $3111 plus tax to replace torque converter and think this should fall under a recall due to faulty equipment. This is a one owner vehicle maintained by Acura service center and this seems unusual to have a torque converter fail at just over 100,000 miles.

- Lexington, SC, USA