2006 Acura MDX drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Acura MDX:

2006 Acura MDX Owner Comments

Oct 122015

MDX

Vehicle transmission can not shift while driving on the road.no reverse and forward.the vehicle have 76000 miles on it.

- States Island, NY, USA

Apr 212010

MDX

When cruising 20-30 miles, the transmission would shutter or make loud grinding noises and vehicle would shake. Dealer couldn't duplicate noise and nothing was done until 2014. Transmission oil was changed and if problems comes back, they would change it. Problem came back and now makes trembling noise and feel it when reaching speed of 49 exactly and 1500rpm, during shifting gears and could get stuck. Dealer stated is normal sound. Now I have check engine light with code P0706, which is open in transmission range switch circuit probable cause. Searched and it seems that this year model, Acura MDX 2006, has had problems with transmissions and no recalls. Car makes noise while this is happening while on the highway. Sometimes the truck gets stuck doing this until I accelerate or bring down the speed on the highway. There are many complains with this issue, an Acura has not acknowledge the problem. I am afraid to have an accident on the highway or the vehicle gets stuck trying to change gears.

- Yonkers, NY, USA

Jun 152014

MDX 6-cyl

Like others with the 06 MDX I had to have the motor mounts replaced. It is very possible the "judder" as Honda calls them from the torque converter caused this even though I had the computer software fix. This became an issue as the vibrations from the bad motor mounts damaged the front right half shaft/axial and I was told I was very lucky it did not break while I was driving on the highway.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Jul 102014

MDX

Transmission has problem shifting and down shifts without notice even when applying pressure on gas - causing car to slow. Dangerous for cars following behind - almost rear ended.

- Mountlake Terrace, WA, USA

Jan 142014

MDX

On January 14, 2014 my daughter took our 2006 MDX to the dealer for mechanical evaluation. The car has been hesitating while driving, trying to stop the car while driving. The diagnose came back with the following: Transmission needs to be replaced and engine mounts have to be replaced as well for the total of around $7,200. In October 2008 (mileage 55K) the original transmission has been replaced with a re-manufactured part. December 2009 original symptoms (whining noise, shutter at 40-50 mph) have recurred and have been reported to dealer's mechanics. They could not see any problems. December 2010 whining noise started coming back again. Dealer's mechanics could not find anything wrong. Now we are faced with a transmission that is malfunctioning plus engine mounts have to be replaced. In speaking with Acura's customer care I was informed that the transmission replaced in 2008 was not an authentic Acura part. I kept insisting on more in depth explanation but did not receive any. It is my understanding that improperly working transmission causes damage to engine mounts. It seems Acura dealer's mechanics have somewhathow missed it. Acura is not willing to take responsibility for any of their omissions. Now the car is no longer under warranty. All of described instances are a huge safety hazard. Putting in non-authentic parts under the label of warranty is a fraudulent step. All services have been performed at jerry damson Honda dealership in huntsville, Alabama. I would like a formal investigation. In addition I feel that dealership's mechanics should go through additional training to avoid future misdiagnoses and a reduce danger to consumers.

- Huntsville, AL, USA

Feb 032014

MDX 6-cyl

Two separate related incidents to transmission listed from most recent: 1) 3feb2014- total transmission failure on highway (approx. 65mph) at 116,804mi. Dealership service noted that the transmission fluid was overfilled and the failure is internal. They recommended transmission replacement 2) 4apr2013- noted that vehicle did not engage in park after shifted to "P". after placing it in park, it rolled back down the driveway. This fault is intermittent and occasionally will exhibit a ratchet like sound. The fault is ongoing. Dealership cannot recreate failure.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Aug 032013

MDX 6-cyl

I had the recall for the interlock defect done on my Acura 2006 MDX on March 15, 2015. Parked in my garage, I got out of the car taking the keys out of the ignition not realizing it was in neutral. I walked briefly into the house and back out only to find my car was starting to roll out of my garage. I ran to jump in and try to stop the car, only to have the open door catch my other vehicle in the drive and damage it along with the Acura. Neighbors came to my rescue after hearing me call out for help. One man pushed the door further forward as it was in a forward, hyper-extension position wedged against the other car. The other man maneuvered my other car away from the Acura. A third neighbor went into my house for the keys to the Acura so I could get it into park. I feel this should be an Acura problem since I did the recall and suggested and there is still a problem resulting in an accident. Acura's customer relations will not help me on the damage to both cars and will only address the recall once again. I feel lucky that I only had some bruises and strained muscles. I fear others may have had the recall done and have the failure as I did and not be so lucky. I would appreciate help in pursuing an action against Acura to get them to fix both my cars and get to the bottom of why this replacement part didn't work. Was the part actually replaced as said, was it done wrong, or was the part replaced not the answer to the problem. I have filed with usaa for help, but still feel Acura is responsible for the damages to both vehicles. A friend of mine was able to duplicate this problem the next day by starting the car, putting the car in neutral, and then shutting off the car and pulling the key out while still in neutral. Obviously, the new lever kit did not correct the problem. Any suggestions on what I can do now?

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Sep 212010

MDX 6-cyl

Second complaint-I own a 2006 Acura MDX I am the first owner bought SUV new-on November 2010 I receive a recall notice from american Honda motor co., Inc. To bring SUV in to Acura dealer for technician to update software for transmission. The update will help transmission operate properly, assure longer life-before taking SUV in I had no complaint SUV was operating great. After recall fix I started to hear and feel shuddering, judder, vibration at 20-45 mph-my mileage then was 45,610- I immediately took SUV back to dealer and after diagnostic they confirm noise, replaced torque converter-the noise returned after 2 months between 20-45 mph-mileage then was 56,300- I returned to dealer for a second time-I informed dealer it was the same problem from the previous issue they repaired-they disagreed, told me it was the driveshaft and replaced it-the noise returned, same day I called service manager and made complaint, he said I should drive SUV until noise become louder so technician will hear the noise clearly- by 62,536 mileage noise became louder, I brought the SUV in a 3rd time, same problem-they kept SUV 2 days ran test and confirmed everything I said-the transmission was bad and they replaced it and also replaced the torque converter a second time-SUV performed great until 120,000 miles which is only 57,464 miles for the new transmission when the same noises and vibrations returned, however my warranty was up-there is clearly something wrong with transmission-I take great care of my SUV-its paid off in full and currently I cant afford a car payment-I hoped this car took me over 200,000 miles like MY1991 Honda I previously owned-I buy Acura because of quality- the name Honda use to stand for-I contacted the dealer again and was told bring SUV in, they will pay half the cost to fix it-time is hard they need to cover total bill or trade me up to a newer SUV.

- Sunrise, FL, USA

Apr 292010

MDX 6-cyl

When driving between 20 and 45 mph transmission judder and loses power. The judder noise cause damage to the transmission gear and torque converter.

- Sunrise, FL, USA

Jul 092013

MDX 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Acura MDX. The contact stated the transmission of the vehicle shuttered while driving 40 mph. The contact stated the shuttered stopped when he removed his foot off of the accelerator pedal, but it started to shutter again when the pedal was engaged. The vehicle shuttered between third and forth gear. The failure was not diagnosed by the dealer. The failure and current mileage was 66,000.

- Muskegon, MI, USA

Oct 102011

MDX 6-cyl

The car had begun shuddering at between 30-40 miles an hour and then at a very low RPM in 1st gear, the car started jerking heavily. The dealership first said they would charge me 125$ to diagnose the problem, unless it was the torque converter as I had mentioned. Now they want 2800$ to fix the problem. - at what point in time - as I've now seen this as a recurring problem with MDX's do they give a recall? this is a young car.

- Wayen, NJ, USA

Nov 152010

MDX 6-cyl

Vehicle shudders and vibrates between 35-40 mph. Will be taking to a dealer on Friday 18feb2011 for inspection. This has happened before also but I was not sure what it was. This normally occurs when accelerating at speeds between 30 and 45 mph. Also received a letter regarding software updates for the transmission in December 2010. It said that this update has been issued in September 2009, but I was never informed of this update earlier. Acura myacura.com website also does not have any information on this.

- Monmouth Junction, NJ, USA

Jan 172011

MDX

Recently purchased 06 MDX. Didn't notice the transmission issue right away. About month after purchase, I noticed shutter/grinding/judder/whistling coming from the transmission. Took it into Acura dealer. Acura replaced torque converter and updated PCM software under warranty. About week later, started noticing the same shuttering noise coming from transmission again but its not as noticeable but definitely noticeable and the problem is still there. Acura did not "fix" the problem. It seems Acura had fixed the "severity" of it to the point where you can only slightly hear it. After being thoroughly frustrated with this issue, I started researching the internet and found out there are many many many many others with this same problem. It seems that there is no permanent fix. Numerous owners have same repeat problems even after replacing the entire transmission. The problem seems to be that of a "design" of transmission error by the Acura so essentially, only permanent fix would be to replace the transmission with the newly redesigned transmission. If you replace the same parts over and over, you will have same problems over and over. Acura fails to acknowledge this. If you take the car to any Acura dealer, they will vehemently deny there is transmission problems(I am sure they're trained by the corporate to deny, deny, deny). Unfair. Essentially, my car is a "lemon" albeit a used lemon....

- Rockford, IL, USA

Jan 172011

- Rockford, IL, USA

Nov 152009

MDX

Acura MDX transmission failure / catalytic converter.

- Upper Marlboro, MD, USA

Jul 172009

MDX

Acura MDX 2006 lost steering power while driving and had to emergent stop and the vehicle cannot be driven anymore. Tow truck driver found the crank pulley lying on the ground. Obviously it's separated from the vehicle.

- Carlsbad, CA, USA

Oct 082006

MDX 6-cyl

Yesterday afternoon when I took it out, the vsa and the vtm4-lock lights were on and wouldn't go off. And the drive extremely sluggish. No acceleration and it wouldn't go any higher that 25 mph. Even getting it to 25 mph took over 1-2 minutes, felt like eternity. Made it to pohanka finally. Couldn't accelerate to merge, couldn't go uphill on even slight inclines, this is a safety issue. What if this happens.

- Oak Hill, VA, USA