NHTSA — Suspension Problems

2007 Acura MDX suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Acura MDX:

2007 Acura MDX Owner Comments

Feb 092015

The active damper system (ads) on my Acura MDX has been malfunctioning and has caused the struts to fail on both the front and rear. Requiring it to be replaced. There are a number of issues related to the ads system that have been identified in respective forums by customers. Acura Canada has extended the warranty till the end of the year (2016), however, Acura America is not willing to acknowledge the defect. I am from Canada, however, my vehicle is from the us and I have had to spend dollars to replace the struts while customers in Canada are getting theirs replaced or reimbursed when there is an issue with the structs owing to the extended warranty.

- Edmonton, WA, USA

Feb 162016

I purchased a 07 Acura MDX 1 month ago with 115,500 miles and got the extended power train warranty. Hall Nissan pulled the vehicle off hall Acura's lot. They printed out a receipt from all the work Acura did before I bought the car, and ensured me nothing was wrong with it that it went through a 150 point inspection. I took it to Acura 2.5 weeks after I bought it because the check engine light came on and a tranny code popped up. They diagnosed the car and found $7,000 worth of malfunctioning equipment. Transmission range sensor, both front struts, ac coil and magnetic clutch, front cv axle boot leaking, rear shocks, rear sway bar bushings, transmission cooler hose leaking. I have spoken with numerous managers about this, they wont replace the cv axel assembly (suggested fix), the transmission cooler line (suggested fix), or front struts or back shocks which failed upon inspection. They are telling my warranty wont cover it because I haven't owned the vehicle for 60 days. They need to fix this. They should not have sold me a car telling me everything is ok and when I take it back to the same Acura service shop that did the original inspection 2 weeks later there is now $7,000 worth of damage. There is a few things wrong with it that was said was fixed on the original work order that they never did. When I go over bumps the suspension makes a clunk from the front. After researching online many people have the same issue.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Dec 012015

Takata recall I have a complaint on Acura MDX 2007 sport entertainment on replacing struts. The value on replacing them is ridiculously expensive and I have read some many complaints about the same issue that they need to be replace every 50,000 miles could this be a recall because replacing them every 50,000 miles at a high value is to expensive.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jun 012014

My husband and I purchased a used 2007 MDX Acura 2 yrs ago and have experienced everything from bad tires to suspension to dvd to battery problems. We had our vehicle serviced at a Honda dealer and was given an estimate of what it would cost to have struts done and given a quote of approximately $1350. When I returned to have the service done, I was encouraged to have the timing belt done even though it was not as vital as getting the strut work done. So I had the timing belt done. Now our warranty has expired and we are still experiencing strut problems. No one should be experiencing these kinds of issues on a vehicle they have only had for 2 yrs. We bought the vehicle at about 68,000 mile. It now has roughly 110,000. On several occasions, the truck would not start and had to be boost. There was nothing going on that would have caused the battery to die, in fact the battery was checked at the Honda dealership and I was told the battery was good. We have put too much money already into this vehicle for repairs and it is simply not worth it. I would not recommend this vehicle to anyone. The dvd on occasions does not work and we get some type of read error. For the amount we spend every month on this car, this is utterly ridiculous.

- Arlington, TN, USA

May 012014

Car is equipped with sport suspension. Shock mount had been rattling for months, taken to dealer multiple times. After scouring internet for a cause, found many complaints in MDX forums about sport suspension shock mounts breaking. Took back to dealer, cause was confirmed. The concern is that these shocks cost $1000 each, they are a dealer only item, and just 10 minutes of research online will demonstrate that this is a known issue and most customers don't get any or much dealer participation in the repair. Before the repair, the car was most definitely unsafe, and it is frustrating that the dealer did not diagnose the issue, I did.

- Renton, WA, USA

Mar 012014

MDX 4WD 6-cyl

The electronic suspension on our 07 MDX is an extra paid option, we did not buy new but we still paid for that option as it increases value new or used... the rear dampers in ours are leaking and for a set to replace costs at least $1000 in parts and then you have to pay labor. This is a premium brand, but it is not an exotic... not sure why an Acura ads suspension part that probably costs them $50 to make, costs the consumer (aka the ppl who keep Acura in business) $500+ each. This is obviously a major and expensive flaw in Acura suspension and they should replace for free or at the least price the part so it's affordable. I have a 12 yr old Lexus that has the original suspension and is still working like it should...

- Jacksonville, FM, USA

Jun 022014

I am having issues with a leaking shock on the rear of my Acura MDX sport. The shock is leaking, after research online this is a common issue for this model and I feel is a design flaw.

- Huntingdon Valley, PA, USA

Feb 012012

MDX 6-cyl

Driver side strut broke, took to dealer multiple times to diagnose. Independent frame shop diagnosed within 10 minutes of being there. Come to find out from new service advisor that previous advisor did document issue I was complaining about in their system. Smells like a cover up to me. Been chasing this problem for the better part of 2 years now with the dealer. Many other documented situations similar to mine online as well. Please look into this issue. With the dealer's participation this fix will cost me $1500 to repair and my car is still under warranty. They are calling it wear and tear. For such a well cared for low mileage car, and so many other documented situations, I disagree.

- Renton, WA, USA

Dec 242012

MDX 6-cyl

There is a rattle from right under side of the vehicle and the local dealer diagnosed it as defective front strut (damper) and recommended replacement at a cost of $1300 per strut since the warranty expired. The defective strut should be repaired by Acura at no or minimal cost to the consumer before an incident occurs due to defective front struts.

- Mclean, VA, USA