NHTSA — Power Train Problems

2009 Acura MDX drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Acura MDX:

2009 Acura MDX Owner Comments

Oct 292012

MDX 6-cyl

I took my 2009 MDX into Acura dealer for shudder at 35-45 mph at 68K. Service tech wrote up repair order as PCM update. They did not document the shudder complaint. Even tho I drove with service tech and then he drove also, verifying shudder. I had to go back 2nd time as PCM didn't take according to dealer and that's why shuddering continued after 1st PCM update. Now at 107K, shudder is back. MDX out of extended warranty by 2000 miles and Acura/Honda refuses goodwill repair. This is my second MDX. The torque converter needed replaced in my 2003 MDX. Acura assured me when I purchased the 2009 that this known problem was resolved. Obviously the torque converter/transmission continues to be faulty. I'm wondering if the PCM update is disguising the problem pushing the MDX past the mileage warranty.

- Aurora , OH, USA

Nov 152011

MDX 6-cyl

I brought the car into the dealer because I was having transmission problems or power steering problems. I indicated that the car makes a whine at about 1500 RPM. The dealer chose to treat it as a power steering problem. The power steering pump was replaced. There was still a whine although less. The car RPM hangs up on deceleration to a stop. Some times when going down hill the car does not upshift until the car is accelerated even though the road slope is zero. The dealer never informed me when I brought the vehicle in for the original concern that there were some problems with the transmission or torque converter hanging up.

- Cortlandt Manor, NY, USA

Jan 222010

MDX 6-cyl

Acura MDX (2009) vibration issues: Since purchasing the vehicle new, there is a vibration driving at speeds exceeding 70 mph. The vibration can be felt through the chasis and steering wheel. The dealer has replaced the tires, rims, drive shaft and performed multiple balancing and alignments. The manufacturer representative could not resolve the issue initially, but later suggested the replacement of the drive shaft. This worked initially but the problem has resurfaced again. I filed a lemon law claim that Acura has neglected to respond to fully. They tried to fix it, but the problem is still present and getting worse. When driving the car, it feels at times, as if the wheels are going to fall off. It is often worse when driving up hill when the car is cold and the weather cold. It appears to get better as the car warms up, though. This also appears to be a well documented concern that is documented on discussion boards such as: Edmonds- where there are currently 59 posts on the topic and all similar to my experience.

- Hackettstown , NJ, USA