NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2014 Acura MDX electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Acura MDX:

2014 Acura MDX Owner Comments

Jul 032016

MDX

The contact owns a 2014 Acura MDX. While making a left turn out of a parking space, a sudden clicking noise was heard from the steering column. The steering wheel suddenly became locked and could not be turned to the right. The driver immediately depressed the brake pedal and the vehicle lunged to the right and hit the curb. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 32,000. Updated 10/26/16

- Kent, WA, USA

Mar 072016

MDX

Forward collision warning (fcw) system: Sometimes going on a smooth road fcw activates all of a sudden and flashed in the dashboard with an alarm. You have to press brakes in order to ensure that you are getting into an accident. Acura need to fix this warning system and ensure its more reliable. Brakes and rotors are warped at 13000 miles. Went to dealer and they told that it needs resurfacing. Continuous whistling noise from engine when your foot is on gas and when its off it stops. Acura hasn't been able to figure out where is the problem

- El Dorado Hills, CA, USA

Nov 302015

MDX

First, I have had the vehicle for a little over a year. I have driven to Florida and nc without issue. Today will be the 4th time taking my car to the Acura dealership in less than 3 months. Today the car started to kickback when I reach 20mph. Also, at 80mph the car is jerky when I accelerate or decrease and go again. Also when I release the gas, the speed decreases quickly as opposed to gradually. Around 60mph the car tends to have a slight jerk which ive notified Acura but they said I need a wheel alignment which ive done. The issue prior was all the lights in the dash came on the the drive function was almost paused while the vehicle was in motion. Acura claimed the issue was minor yet I am going again today. Prior to that issue, something near the tires was scratching or something which they claimed the issue was fixed. What led me to the dealership the first time was the vehicle was jerky at different times while accelerating. Acura performed a software upgrade which fixed the issue for a couple days. At some point, the vehicle needs to be re-assessed and possibly totaled out or something. I have 3 kids and always on the run. I used to trust Acura and the reliability but the issues seem to get worse and worse.

- Frederick, MD, USA

Jun 102014

MDX

I bought 2014 Acura MDX brand new and after 2000 mile a noise came out from engine I went dealer they ordered the part and fixed and the same problem happened after 5000 miles. I have lots of headaches since I bought this car. The suspensions are very bad even when I bought it from the dealer as a first day. And now I have all lights on such as battery, brake, hill stability problem, steering wheel problem, engine emission stability problem writing, shown all wheel drive problem. Whenever I go to dealer they reset the signs and say its ok now. They charge me but after a while again happens and this time saying different problem.. really has too much problem. Suspensions and brake a worst. Now I am afraid to drive this car with my little baby and family. 100% I believe car stops in middle of the way.. its very dangerous.. please inform Acura because they aren't careening and especially every new MDX drivers have problems with this brand new expensive cars. Thank you very much for your time and understanding us.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Dec 122014

MDX 6-cyl

All dash lights came on and power steering went. Dealership says it is okay and a misfire. 2/2/15 same thing happened, AWD, power steering, and brakes went. Then the car stopped running and wouldn't start. An hour later it started again and alarms were off. The dealership also had to replace the transmission at 4K miles. Car doesn't sense key sometimes and won't start. Locks on its own. Heated seats won't turn on/off. Car makes weird noise when making sharp turns and wheels pull straight.

- Pine Bush, NY, USA

Sep 012014

MDX 6-cyl

While traveling on a city street, the computer started to change radio stations, fan speeds, temperature, and heated seats without any operator input and in a very rapid manner for approximately 5 minutes. By the time we got the vehicle to the dealership, the system had reset and the dealer advised they could not find any issues with the vehicle. Since then, we continue to have problems and they now include the collision warning system going off while sitting still, the rear view camera will keep operating while driving forward, the touchscreen panels quit working for up to 10 minutes at a time, the navigation system will show inaccurate information, and the panels have gone blank and then showed the message hdd error, contact service. Acura service and client relations has advised that they do not believe there is a problem because the vehicle does not exhibit the problems while in their shop and have stated that unless they see the problem, there is no problem.

- Savannah, GA, USA

May 251999

MDX 6-cyl

Defect shows as immediate loss of toe alignment in both front tires, lane keep assist computerized feature in unable to turn steering wheel right, and steering wheel position sensor is unable to remain fixed at zero. Steering wheel position sensor: Forces the vehicle into oncoming traffic by automatically during front wheels two and five degrees with maximum turning force applied when the road presents any combination of curved, tilted, and bumpy condition. Steering wheel hand sensor ? computer applied over-steer forces the car left or right several degrees depending on hand position. Ids: Three settings force steering wheel several degrees left or right during braking depending on last applied steering adjustment. When the road is a combination of curved, substantially sloped, or bumpy the computer will apply maximum computerized turning force to move steering wheel up to 45 degrees left into oncoming traffic even when the road slopes and/or curves away from oncoming traffic. A series of software command conflicts and overrides between ids, steering wheel position sensor, steering wheel sensor for hand position, radar, and road position sensor, and other-vehicle sensors routinely cause the computer to perform unintended drive into incoming traffic with maximum computer applied force. Manufacturer refused to provide dealers computer diagnostic equipment that aligns steering wheel sensor with navigation computer, radar, internal/external sensors, ids, and steering wheel hand sensor unless the consumer is willing to pay $700 in equipment transfer costs. Manufacturer demands dealers deny service or avoid writing work orders that contain any indication of a problem with steering wheel sensor, radar, computer-integrated hardware, or ids. Instead verbalize computer-related issues with repair techs to avoid regulatory reporting and California lemon law requirements.

- Brentwood, CA, USA

Sep 052014

MDX 6-cyl

Last may, I have purchased a 2014 MDX( tech+advanced) at Acura dealership in valencia, ca. Its current mileage clocks at 7200 miles. So far, I have visited the dealership for maintenance request for over 10 occasions.I have recently noticed the A/C indicator randomly blink.and now after driving 6,500 miles my engine started making this cricketing sound inside. But, the service manager I spoke to still says it's normal.he said all 2014, 2015 MDX are like that. But I can't help to express my concern over this. It this was normal, the sound should've been around since I first purchased the car instead of after 6,500 miles of driving. At this moment the sound has been growing as well. Anyway I have left my car after receiving a call from the valencia dealership to fix the issues of my vehicle on Oct.21 I have been informed the following to be resolved: First, the air conditioning will be fully replaced the A/C unit for the A/C monitor light that has been one. Second, in-depth checkup for the cricketing sound from my engine. However, on Nov 4 after receiving back my MDX, I noticed the A/C monitor back on and again, and the cricketing sound came back. I went back to the dealership in search of answers on exactly what they have fixed, and their response was that they didn't know how to replace the A/C and the engine sound is normal. I also contacted Honda corporate office on the Nov 12th and I was informed that the A/C was in fact not replaced and rearranged the placement of the engine to minimize the cricketing sound. Our family feel very cheated with these responses when I was promised that the A/C will be fixed, and engine sound will be resolved through various ways like water pump replacement. What upsets me most is that the dealership did not make actual effort to at least try to resolve their customer's concerns.

- Stevenson Ranch , CA, USA

Apr 112014

MDX 6-cyl

Noticed bubbling paint on drivers side near back tire...emailed salesman with no response. Took car in for oil change, mentioned problem but paint had chipped off...took a picture to send to Acura for their determination whether it was going to be repaired free of charge....asked again in septmeber...no answer yet...no phone call to date to let me know if covered or not. July 24 was driving when for no reason all warning lights came on with warning beep...called dealership... was on my way to the airport for vacation and scared to keep driving..was told just a fluke and it would probably re-set...in August.took car to dealership and warning lights came on enroute...still on when I arrived...again told it was just a fluke happened again while parked with engine running in late August but noticed it was also idling quite high for no reason...called dealership again right away...left a message with no return call..it again re-set itself....in September I was driving 35mph and all warning lights came on, lost power and steering...called dealership, they had me look at message center but it did not say any code....took to dealership..told them I had been reading on line that other owners had same issue with no results...he said Acura was working on issue....nervous that it will happen while driving on expressway and I lose steering and power.....tired on hearing there is no code and no answer....very expensive car to have this type of issue with no fix...thank you

- Ripon, WI, USA

May 232014

MDX 6-cyl

2014 Acura MDX. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle cuts off while driving and electrical system problems. The consumer stated the vehicle cut off three times. On one separate occasion, while driving, the multi-information display warning and information messages illuminated on the screen. The mid was rotating continuously through a series of problems, such as; engine oil low, emission system problem, 12 volt battery charging system problems, etc. When the dealer tried to the turn the steering wheel, while the vehicle was in idle, it cut off again. The dealer assured the consumer, he wouldn't have any more problems. However, one month later, the vehicle cut off again; twice. On June 16, 2014, the multi-information display warning and information messages illuminated on the screen again.

- Dumfries, VA, USA

Jul 012014

MDX

Dash warning lights coming on : brake problems. ABS light problems, hill asst. Problem, lane departure warning, front collision warning, these system stop working when driving at various speeds! dealer can't find the problem!

- Southlake, TX, USA

Jun 182014

MDX 6-cyl

While trying to accelerate during a left turn, the engine completely lost power and the accelerator would not work. All engine warning lights came on. We nearly avoided an accident by coasting into the center lane. I had to turn off the car and restart in order to gain the ability to accelerate again, but all the warning lights remained on. Drove it to the dealer, but they have yet to be able to determine what the problem is. This is the 3rd time this has happened - all during the first 5 minutes of driving during the morning. The last incident could have resulted in a serious crash.

- Naperville, IL, USA

Apr 292014

MDX 6-cyl

This is the third incident of unintended engine revving with this vehicle. This third incident occurred at 5925 miles. Was pulling out of a parking space in "reverse" and came to a complete stop with my foot firmly on the brake pedal when, in an instant, the vehicle unexpectedly revved up while I was still holding the brake pedal firmly and shifting into drive. The vehicle jolted into drive.

- Goodyear, AZ, USA

Apr 052014

MDX

The push button ignition switch was accidentally pushed, very briefly, while the car was still moving, with the gear shift in still in drive mode, the engine shut off. This could result in serious injuries or even death if the car abruptly changed speed, loss power to other safety control systems, loss power to the airbags, or loss power to the brakes.

- Medford, MA, USA

Jan 022014

MDX

The contact owns a 2014 Acura MDX. The contact stated the back-up camera intermittently remained activated while driving. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer, who was unable to provide a diagnosis. The dealer refereed the contact to the manufacturer, who offered to further investigate the failure and other alternatives. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 200.

- Settle , WA, USA

Feb 082014

MDX 6-cyl

Brake pedal gets really stiffen up and car won't start unless I depress the brake really really hard. Seems like faulty brake system. This happens when the vehicle has been left sitting for awhile. Happening frequently now.

- Westminster, CO, USA

Aug 022013

MDX 6-cyl

The included infotainment system, which is now predominantly controlled by a touchscreen, is incredibly slow, laggy, and dangerous to operate. There are multiple, ongoing failures with this system - every time I enter the vehicle. As Honda/Acura has removed or replaced primary-operation buttons (32 out of 41, by their count), the mandate to use the other operational system (touchscreen and jog-dial) has increased the risk of safety incidents, exacerbated by a slow user interface response and often-failing voice control system. My vehicle has been in the dealer once, and has been waiting for a software update for five months. New vehicles have an updated software load, but Acura refuses to install it. Acura client relations has refused to provide updates or a solution.

- Dunwoody, GA, USA

Dec 072013

MDX 6-cyl

My brand new MDX has had issues with multiple warning lights appearing on the vehicle when starting the engine. This includes check engine warning, lane departure warning failure, power steering issue and possibly additional warnings. The vehicle did this the first time when I took delivery of the vehicle and at that time, was resolved by fixing a loose plug. Then it did it again when I was supposed to pick up my vehicle for a couple minor trim repairs Saturday, December 7, 2014. The vehicle is still with service and they have yet to figure out what is causing the warning light issue. I was advised that they are in touch with Acura's tech line on this and they hope it will be resolved soon. Additionally, I completed further research on this and noted that other owners are experiencing similar problems with warning lights appearing on their 2014 MDX vehicles. Here is an online reference that I found where owners have posted comments on this: www.mdxers.org/forums/94-new-2014-Acura-MDX/63666-2014-MDX-issues.html.

- Milford, CT, USA