NHTSA — Vehicle Speed Control Problems

2014 Acura MDX engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Acura MDX:

2014 Acura MDX Owner Comments

Oct 192016

MDX

The contact owns a 2014 Acura MDX. While driving approximately 5 mph, the vehicle accelerated independently and crashed into a rod iron fence. The air bags did not deploy. A police report was not filed and there were no injuries. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 44,323. The VIN was not provided.

- Merced, CA, USA

Jun 272016

MDX

As the vehicle being driven, it occasionally lurches. As the vehicle produces these sudden stops and accelerations during the normal driving (local streets and highways), I, as a driver, temporarily lose the control of the car. Consequently, this car lurching situation may lead to the driver losing a temporary or complete control of the vehicle which could ultimately cause a collision.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

May 282016

MDX

Recently faced a situation where I was traveling on a freeway @ 65-70 mph and suddenly SUV flashed a fcw( forward collision warning system). I had to apply the brakes in the middle of the freeway fearing an accident. It may have caused us to to go into a crash with a cars coming from behind. NHTSA has to look into this feature. There is some problem with the sensors of fcw

- El Dorado Hills, CA, USA

Nov 302015

MDX

First, I have had the vehicle for a little over a year. I have driven to Florida and nc without issue. Today will be the 4th time taking my car to the Acura dealership in less than 3 months. Today the car started to kickback when I reach 20mph. Also, at 80mph the car is jerky when I accelerate or decrease and go again. Also when I release the gas, the speed decreases quickly as opposed to gradually. Around 60mph the car tends to have a slight jerk which ive notified Acura but they said I need a wheel alignment which ive done. The issue prior was all the lights in the dash came on the the drive function was almost paused while the vehicle was in motion. Acura claimed the issue was minor yet I am going again today. Prior to that issue, something near the tires was scratching or something which they claimed the issue was fixed. What led me to the dealership the first time was the vehicle was jerky at different times while accelerating. Acura performed a software upgrade which fixed the issue for a couple days. At some point, the vehicle needs to be re-assessed and possibly totaled out or something. I have 3 kids and always on the run. I used to trust Acura and the reliability but the issues seem to get worse and worse.

- Frederick, MD, USA

May 202015

MDX

Unintentional acceleration and failure of collision mitigation system 2014 Acura MDX advanced. Accident occurred at a strip mall parking lot located 1 mile from my residence where I was grocery shopping. Weather 65 F sunny. Heavy pedestrian and vehicular traffic. I was parked head in diagonally. I placed my right foot on the brake pedal, placed the SUV in reverse, lifted my right foot from the brake pedal, depressed the accelerator pedal and slowly backed out of the parking space, straightening the wheels in the process.I placed my right foot on the brake, shifted to drive, and placed my right foot on the accelerator pedal and without actually depressing the pedal the engin reved uncontrollably and the SUV surged forward 100 ft at increasing speed before colliding in a domino fashion with a row of 6 vehicles pushing one of the vehicles over one of the adjacent vehicles before veering off to the side and traveling an additional 200 feet before coming to a stop.the drivers side chest and knee bags deployed when I impacted with the first vehicle.I do not remember if I attempted to brake.there were no injuries.the damages to my SUV were extensive. My insurer declared it a total loss.I have photos taken at the scene of the accident showing skid marks and the damages to the vehicles before they were moved. My insurer had my vehicle examined by an automotive technician.he concluded that I simultaneously stepped on the brake and accelerator because of the pedal ware pattern. Also the diagnostic port did not show an error code.he did not examine the event data recorder (black box). I do not agree with his conclusions. I believe I did not step on the pedals simultaneously. In retrospect I believe that I accidentally engaged one of the cruise control buttons located on the steering wheel when I was backing up and straightening the wheels.

- Marina Del Rey, CA, USA

Oct 102014

MDX

The contact owns a 2014 Acura MDX. Upon using the cruise control feature, the vehicle would decelerate to 20 mph when a large vehicle passed by. The failure occurred more than three times. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V301000 (vehicle speed control). The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 18,000.

- Midlothian, VA, USA

Apr 202015

MDX

I got into a parking space, and pushed the brake but the car jumped onto the sidewalk. I removed my foot from the brake and then the car started speeding up. The car crashed through the window of an empty store. I tried to push the brake even harder but it did not work. The car finally stopped when it hit the wall inside the store. I was in a shock. Luckily, nobody was injured. I found several similar complaints on the internet but could not find a recall for a similar issue. One of the previous claims states: "Acura is claiming that no problem can be found with our vehicle." This is an extremely serious safety concern and could result in fatalities. Is there anything else I need to do in order this issue to be investigated seriously?

- Oakton, VA, USA

Nov 172014

MDX 6-cyl

2014 Acura MDX. The consumer stated while entering the garage, the vehicle lurched forward and would not respond to the brake. The vehicle went through the back of the garage and caused significant damage to the consumers home and vehicle.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Nov 172014

MDX 6-cyl

S10 appropriate handling- letter to the secretary from re copy of letter to Acura usa vice president john mendel regarding 2014 Acura MDX throttle problem and requesting inspection to ensure safety the consumer stated on the morning of November 17, 2014, while entering the garage, the vehicle lurched forward and would not respond to the brake. The vehicle went through the back of the garage and caused significant damaged to her home and the vehicle.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Jul 012014

MDX

Dash warning lights coming on : brake problems. ABS light problems, hill asst. Problem, lane departure warning, front collision warning, these system stop working when driving at various speeds! dealer can't find the problem!

- Southlake, TX, USA

Jun 182014

MDX 6-cyl

While trying to accelerate during a left turn, the engine completely lost power and the accelerator would not work. All engine warning lights came on. We nearly avoided an accident by coasting into the center lane. I had to turn off the car and restart in order to gain the ability to accelerate again, but all the warning lights remained on. Drove it to the dealer, but they have yet to be able to determine what the problem is. This is the 3rd time this has happened - all during the first 5 minutes of driving during the morning. The last incident could have resulted in a serious crash.

- Naperville, IL, USA

May 122014

MDX 6-cyl

Traveling 65 mph on a freeway with adaptive cruise control (acc) engaged, vehicle suddenly brakes hard on its own for no apparent reason; dropping 10 mph in a heartbeat. The vehicle did not produce a collision warning message on the dash. The cars in front on me were well beyond the longest 4 bar range of the acc so it was not detecting and locked onto a car in front of me. There were no cars on either side, no car crossing in front of me and the road was flat with no obstacles. Fortunately, the car behind me was not tailgating as the sudden deceleration could have caused a rear end collision. Sudden deceleration has happened twice during the six weeks I've owned this vehicle. I've also noticed that the acc is inconsistent, often sluggish, in responding to the speed of traffic when it is detecting a car in front of me; creating additional hazard concerns for the driver...updated 05-27-15

- San Juan Capistrano, CA, USA

Apr 292014

MDX 6-cyl

This is the third incident of unintended engine revving with this vehicle. This third incident occurred at 5925 miles. Was pulling out of a parking space in "reverse" and came to a complete stop with my foot firmly on the brake pedal when, in an instant, the vehicle unexpectedly revved up while I was still holding the brake pedal firmly and shifting into drive. The vehicle jolted into drive.

- Goodyear, AZ, USA

Mar 162014

MDX 6-cyl

Our vehicle is an Acura MDX 2014 with the advance package. One feature of the package is adaptive cruise control which aims to keep the vehicle moving at a steady rate and at a set distance from any vehicle in front of it. On several occasions, when vehicles in front of ours slows down or a vehicle merges from another lane in front of us (even transiently), instead of gradually braking and speeding up, the Acura performs sudden deceleration with hard braking even if the vehicle in front is doing the same speed or going only slightly slower. After the hard braking starts, if the vehicle in front speeds up, our vehicle does not recover and start to accelerate again. I have a pregnant wife who is the main driver of the car and I am concerned that this problem will cause her to be rear-ended.

- Sammamish, WA, USA