NHTSA — Structure: Body Problems

2015 Acura MDX body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Acura MDX:

2015 Acura MDX Owner Comments

Oct 012014

1.tail gate issue: After purchasing the brand new Acura MDX, next morning I saw tail gate was open by itself. I assumed I might have unknowingly pushed the wrong button. Few weeks later, my wife saw the tail gate open in her garage. We again thought something on our end. Few weeks later, my wife's co worker sends her text showing the tail gate being open, while my wife was not present in the building. In one occasion when I was at target, I came out saw my tailgate open. At least 8 occurrences had taken place in last 8 months. And Acura has been unable to locate the issue. 2.body issue few months later we noticed the vehicle's exterior started to separate from its body. We took the car to the Acura mcchurchill, fortworth. They said there was an issue with how manufacurers applied the glue. And promised the root problem is recognized and fixed. After 2 weeks, the interior was separating out from the body. We have our child in our car, at this point we did not feel safe to drive this vehicle. We took the car to Acura mcchurchill, forthworth, they acknowledged the issue. We requested them to exchange our car to any other used car, same year make/model/mileage.the representative said they have 2016 model, we can leave our car and buy new car. By that time they had clearly seen our fear of driving the old car. They took advantage of the situation and provided option-either buy a new car or take the unsafe car. The statement their sales representative made was "someone has to take the loss, we cant take it all" kbb value was $40,000. They gave us $34000 as the trade value.they kept saying "you are getting 2016 car" but the price difference between 2015 and 2016 is only 150 dollars. And we did not need a new car. We just needed a safe car. We didn't have any other choice except buying new car and be safe on the road.

- Euless, TX, USA

May 302015

I own a 2015 Acura MDX that is three months old and it has 4000 miles on it. I was driving this car early in the morning when I pressed the button to open the moonroof, it violently exploded causing glass to shower upon me. I have suffered cuts on my hand and on my head as a result of this. I have contacted two different houston Acura dealers only to find out that they are not willing to fix the repair as Acura will not approve the repair cost. One dealer even admitted that Acura is aware of the issue. I wish that Acura would stand behind their product and resolve the issue promptly. It could have resulted in a serious accident or would have injured my children as well if they were present in the car.

- Katy, TX, USA

Jul 232014

My new 2015 MDX has an improperly installed roof panel or improperly placed mounting points that are part of the roof panel. I found the problem because of a gaps between the front and rear roof moldings, the windshield and front molding and the rear molding was unsecured, flapping and hanging over towards the tailgate door. I was initially told that it was just a broken clip but after ordering new clips and new moldings several times they determined that the mounting dowels are in the wrong place on one side of the vehicle and they suggest I let them cut, weld and repaint the roof of my brand new MDX. It has taken Acura almost 4 months to reach this decision. My car has been the shop over three weeks in combined days. My concern aside from having my new vehicle repainted is that if their automated assembly process caused this defect what other defects might have been caused at the same time and have not been identified. How did this vehicle pass Acura's quality control? what could be the consequence of these potential defects. Acura has done nothing to explain or determine if there could be other issues that might effect the safety or longevity of the vehicle. They did not even engineer the solution themselves, they had a local body shop determine how to relocate the incorrectly installed parts.. I have filed a formal complaint with Acura customer relations and they have refused to provide a written response or a detailed written explanation of the proposed work to be done. The customer relations department should be called Acura defense department. I had hoped that the numerous complaints filed on this site and elsewhere regarding the 2014 MDX assembly problems would be resolved in the 2015 model. No such luck. Buyer beware unless you are ready to have your brand new MDX repainted!

- Hollywood, FL, USA