6.2

2015 Acura MDX engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Acura MDX:

2015 Acura MDX Owner Comments

Oct 182016

MDX

While driving on the highway (morning traffic moving at speed limit - 65-70 mph) I smelled smoke. Immediately following this there was a thud and then the check engine, ldw and other lights illuminated on the dash, along with audible alarm sound. Smoke was now visible, coming from the engine (under the hood). I was able to move from the middle lane to the right lane/exit lane as I knew I needed to pull over immediately. Since I was in an exit lane there was no real shoulder and I started down the exit ramp. The smoke was very strong at this point. I went to depress the brakes to slow down on the exit ramp and try to pull the car over but I had no brakes. The brake pedal went right to the floor. I had limited steering control and was driving erratically trying to keep control of the car while on the exit ramp. I tried to put the transmission in park - no effect to slow the car. I tried to power the car off - did not work. I had to depress the emergency brake to stop the car. It took over 100 feet to stop the car (luckily no other cars on the exit ramp) at which point I could pull over on the side of the road. At this point there was smoke billowing out of the engine area, smoke coming in to the car. I called 911 and they responded in about 5 minutes. After I got a safe distance from the car I could see flames coming from the bottom of the engine. From there I could see the fire start to grow in the engine compartment and once the fire dept arrived it was engulfed in flames. The car has been deemed a total loss by my insurance company. This is a very concerning situation as the car had a major, catastrophic failure with essentially no warning, including complete loss of braking and significant loss of steering, followed by a fire. The car had less than 12K miles and was about one year old. No issues or service other than standard maintenance.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Oct 092015

MDX

We have sporadic problems with engine or transmission and the dealer has not been able to identify the problem. It happens at any time slow or fast speed: Uphill or downhill the car will not change gears and starts to pull as if the transmission is going to fall out. We have reported this to Acura customer service and results were guarded. I am afraid for my and my family's safety because the problem continues and it happens anytime and anywhere. It happened today and we called the dealer to come and pick up the car.

- Woodbine, MD, USA

Apr 012015

MDX 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2015 Acura MDX. The contact stated that the keyless entry system failed. The contact was unable to unlock the doors if the cell phone and keyless fob were in the same location. The vehicle was taken to the dealer several times. The technician explained that some cell phones might interfere with the keyless system. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that this was a known problem with the keyless system. However, they were not able to determine what the proper remedy would be for the failure. The failure mileage was 5,000. Updated 11/09/15 the consumer stated the front doors would not open. Updated 1/25/2015

- Weston , FL, USA