NHTSA — Unknown Or Other Problems

9.2

2016 Acura MDX miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Acura MDX:

2016 Acura MDX Owner Comments

Jun 012016

MDX

Transmission - car lurches at low speeds and hesitates when you try to start off from a stop. I purchased a 2016 Acura MDX from jay wolfe Honda in Kansas City, mo and so far my total overall experience is a "0" I have had my car in the shop for about 20% of the time I have owned it and my last repair was to replace the transmission with 10,000 miles on the vehicle! it still shifts jerky at low speed but I haven't taken the car back because I am going to pursue the lemon law and/or Acura arbitration. I had a loud noise in the rear end, after they replaced the struts (after 3 repair attempts) and it is better. There are 3 service bulletins out there for those of you who want to try them tsb no 16-035 replace rear suspension dampers and rear upper mount bushings. Tsb no 15-039 replace transmission end cover gaskets tsb no 15-054 software update in powertrain and transmission control modules. I called Acura and none of these were linked to my specific vehicle VIN #. had they replaced the gaskets, I may not have had a fluid leak which supposedly caused the transmission replacement. The module update is supposed to correct the shifting - that is questionable. The rear end work did help the noise in the rear end. I could continue with minor detail issued but suffice to say I would not purchase nor would I recommend anyone to purchase an Acura MDX!!

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Sep 262016

MDX

Nothing but trouble since I bought it. Purchased Jan 2016. Has replaced --- navigation, amplifier & fuel pump!!! owned 2016 MDX for less than a week- vehicle jolts forward-gives itself extra gas even when your foot is on the brake! transmission not smooth. Been in for service over 40 days now (total). Hesitates sometimes- was stuck at 15 mph for a few minutes. Radio goes unresponsive- no buttons work gets stuck at station/vol can't turn off either. Navigation died- turned off, then flickered(was replaced). Speakers went flat- amplifier died (was replaced). The engine idle feature doesn't work right. It doesn't keep my samsung phone charged. I've tried multiple cords including the original one that came with phone. Acuralink doesn't always work either. I sent a destination but it doesn't show up for a few hours or days! it tweets now. The window now squeaks (no, it is not tinted or anything). It makes a strange dripping noise when you turn it off. It eats gas! I fill it up and it's gone in a blink..not the appropriate miles. It beeps loudly and blinks that there is an object approaching for no reason- no one/thing there- nothing moving. It has a mind of it's own. I've been a loyal Honda/Acura owner for over 18 years and they have not helped. When they replaced the navi they said they'd give me $500 for my trouble- but didn't anyway. They say there is nothing wrong with it-- but just Monday said it needs a new fuel pump but is "so new" they don't have one so it had to be ordered. Disgraceful. I asked for it to be replaced- was denied. Acura client rep says- "at this time there is nothing we can do" I have a spinal condition and the jolting hurts me greatly. Somedays I can't drive my brand new vehicle bc I cant take the pain. They don't care. They don't stand behind their product either. Highly disappointed in vehicle and company

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jun 212016

MDX

We bought a brand new 2016 Acura MDX model and within few months, started having transmission problems. The car would start stalling in the middle of the road and could not accelerate to pick up speed. This happened in a major highway when it suddenly stalled and could not pick up speed. Felt like having no control of car speed. The D letter on dashboard started flashing and also showed blind spot monitor report failures. Took the car to dealer first time and they could not find anything and said it should not happen again. The second time happened in a short period of time. Took it to dealer and he said its fixed and kept car for few days. Within very few days the problem happened again. Apart from this, the car when put in drive from park would start going backwards with little uphill which almost got me in an accident on the highway. I felt very unsafe to drive the car on a highway due to these safety concerns as there was a potential for accidents and injury to some one. We demonstrated this to dealer the third time. We called client services of Acura manufacturer and opened a case. The regional manager mentioned they will look into the issues. We had a long road trip planned and we were dependent on this car as it was a family car but felt very unsafe. The client services of Acura had complete lack of empathy and was unwilling to do anything. He kept stressing that we need to pick up the car and return the loaner car although we highlighted the safety concerns. We are completely disappointed with Acura and still feel unsafe with the car not knowing what will happen next.

- West Chester, PA, USA

Feb 162016

MDX

I've 2016 MDX taken (delivery date)10/12/2015, on 2/16/2016 while I was driving at 5:15 pm suddenly shut off and would not restart. All warning lights were displayed on the dash board like brake problem, emission problem. Vsa problem etc. So vehicle was towed to dealer on same day at 8 pm. It was determined that floors were soaked with water driver and passenger side but there was some few rain water drops that noticed in the car due to the sunroof/moon roof issue that also reported to them. I don't think this issue is because of the water there would be some issue that might have effected so just want to report this. Dealer reported that allowed vehicle to 2 sit for 2 days and cleared codes. Performed multiple test drives and noted that no issues have reoccurred on vehicle.

- Ellicott City, MD, USA

Jan 142016

MDX

This is almost brand new 2016 Acura MDX AWD (with tech and entertainment packages). When accelerating on a freeway/road, suddenly lots of the warning lights turn on and then the vehicle does not accelerate any more. The speed suddenly drops. This is definitely a hazard - especially because I am trying to accelerate. This happened 4 times so far - roughly 500 miles between each incidents. The problem condition goes away after we completely stop the vehicle and turn it off and on multiple times (and also put the vehicle in neutral in between). Last time when the problem happened, I cleared the condition and then drove and showed the vehicle to the dealer. The dealer said that there were persistent codes about communication failure and he cleared them. And asked us to call back when the problem happened again. Dealer does not seem to know any systematic problems with such types of vehicle. I have a video of the previous problem condition at https://youtu.be/ljslicwj7-8

- San Jose, CA, USA

May 272015

MDX

Vehicle speeds up when tapping brakes while going downhill and on flat ground. Feels like it goes into neutral. This is a safety issue that Acura will not address. They claim it is normal behavior.

- Gig Harbor, WA, USA

Sep 222015

MDX

While traveling on city and highway roadways, the vehicle wants to drastically veer to the left on sections of roads sloped to the left. You need to constantly apply pressure to the wheel to keep the vehicle from veering to the left. The vehicle is aligned correctly for roads sloped to the right. While vehicle was in the dealership to investigate the problem 3 times with no fix, other MDX's driven as loaners acted the same. The dealer stated on third repair summary that road tested vehicle and stated vehicle tracking and steering normally compared to other MDX's. the vehicle is still veering to the left as before. Driving long distances is not enjoyable with the constant steering compensation required.

- Fitchburg, WI, USA

Oct 022015

MDX

Very similar to NHTSA id number: 10762375. After 3-4 days of driving the check engine light came on along with transmission system U0401, vsa problem, hill start assist problem etc etc etc. The SUV would not speed above 35-40 miles and shake. Dealership replaced cracked spark plug, ignition coil - cause - possible moisture in spark plug. They were nice enough to take the car back and currently waiting for it to be replaced.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA