NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2013 Acura RDX electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Acura RDX:

2013 Acura RDX Owner Comments

Jan 292014

Operation of gps voice activation system causes significant drive distraction and is potentially dangerous. Friends with the same model have the same problem. Specifics of problem is listed below in communication with Honda. This is problem is so potentially dangerous my wife and I don't use the system any more. In conversations with Honda they won't recognize the safety aspect of the problem see below. background: I currently own two Acura vehicles, a 2008 TL and a 2013 Rdx. I have owned a total of 4 Acura vehicles and there are currently 5 Honda vehicles in my immediate family. I believe you manufacture an superior product with the exception of what I consider a serious design flaw in the 2013 Rdx. I have an advanced aerospace engineering degree from mit and currently work in the advanced technology development arena. And I speak english fluently (native language). Problem: Trying to activate the navigation system (places mode) when the vehicle is in motion is at best user unfriendly and potentially dangerous. My wife and I have engaged in several training exercises since we purchased the vehicle at the end of September; all have resulted in frustration and failure to achieve the desired result. (training consists of trying to use the system on a familiar route to a known location.) as you know, in this mode, the driver must spell the desired location in order to engage the system. Yesterday, the system couldn't recognize the letter "E, " the most commonly used letter in the english language. My attention was constantly diverted from the road to trying to make an audio input that the system could understand then looking at the screen to select a numbered verification of the letter. This scenario took about 10 minutes for a 6 letter word. Unacceptable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Potomac, MD, USA

Apr 262013

Keyless ignition button allows drivers to turn the engine off and left the vehicle while the shift is not in parking. In my case, the vehicle rolls and almost had an accident.

- Beaumont, TX, USA

Oct 302012

The brand new car was on fire by itself on October 30, 2012. It was after the hurricane sandy. My family woke up because of smelling gas from downstairs which was the attached garage to the kitchen. When my husband opened the kitchen door to the garage, he couldn't see anything but smokes. We called 911 and found out there was fire inside of the car. The fire started internally and spread out to the garage. There was sign of water that got into the garage. However, when fire fighter opened the garage door, there was no water in the garage. The front of the car was fine. The driver's seat area and the Navigator area was totally melted down. There was no power in our town since October 29, 2012. The car windows(side and the top) were open by itself. I do not understand how the car caused fire by itself. There were thousands of cars but I did not hear the flood caused the fire which was parked inside of the garage. The car was brand new and had a temperate plate. There is no smoker in my family.

- Little Ferry, NJ, USA

Oct 302012

RDX 6-cyl

My new 2013 Rdx caught on fire at my garage in the day after hurricane sandy. Acura and auto insurance company(progressive) insists that the car caught on fire by flooding. However, car battery and engine are fine. Only front seat, dashboard, and navigation system were burned and the fire damaged my garage too. Furthermore it does not make sense that flooding caused fire at all. I showed my Rdx to Acura technicians, but silent. Isn't it a defect of new model?

- Little Ferry, NJ, USA