NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

6.0

2014 Acura RDX electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Acura RDX:

2014 Acura RDX Owner Comments

Nov 022015

RDX

We have two 2014 Rdx's. wife hit a deer with damage to the right front light and right front quarter panel. Suppose to be a $3700 repair but when body shop drove Rdx into their building it caught fire and now we have a totaled 40,000 Rdx. Everybody has said they can't ever remember a Acura ever catching on fire. In talking with a Acura mechanic he mentioned something about they had some electrical issues on these vehicles but nothing was proven. We are waiting on the results from the electrical engineers that the insurance people have hired to try to determine if there is a problem with it's manufacturing or something else they are asking if any thing was leaking from the vehicle and as far as we know it wasn't leaking since we kept driving it until we took it to the body shop. My problem is I don't want to park the other Rdx in my garage not knowing if the vehicle has a manufacturing electrical problem. The mechanic told me to disconnect my battery cable if I was worried. I don't fine that as a solution to the problem. The other problem we have is the car was being driven and they pull it into their shop where they have worked on Honda's and Acura's for a lot of years and this model catches on fire. Something isn't right. My wife took some pictures on her phone of her Rdx.

- Bellefontaine, OH, USA

Jun 122014

RDX

My wife and I purchased a new 2014 Acura Rdx with navigation in early March 2014. In consider the navigation system and the bluetooth interface 'unsafe at any speed'. Acura in its infinite wisdom decided not to offer a touch screen interface and to disable manual controls while the vehicle is in motion. 1 - this prevents a passenger from entering trip destination. 2 - details of a location must be entered one character at a time. 3 - this can only be done by voice command from the driver's steering wheel controls. 4 - after pressing the talk button twice and speaking a letter, the systems responds with three numbered choices that must be selected by pressing the talk button twice and speaking the number next to the correct letter. This must be repeated for every letter in the place name, street name, street number and city. It is so distracting to be infinitely more dangerous than a touch interface. To make matters worse, the pre-loaded map is inaccurate. For instance, California state highway 1 is not categorized as a major road. So directions from northern California to big sure for example will be 2.5 hours longer than they should be because the system wants to take the driver down to san luis obispo and then back North up the coast on us 101. Neither the sales department, the service department, the mapping company or Acura client relations seem to be real concerned. This was a total waste of approximately $3,000. We must rely on a garmin in the car to get accurate and safe usage for navigation. We have a case number with Acura client relations and we will pursue this until we receive a fix or recompense. I work in the tech industry in user technical support, so this is not a user issue.

- Walnut Creek, CA, USA