NHTSA — Air Bags Problems

2001 Acura RL seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Acura RL:

2001 Acura RL Owner Comments

Jun 022015

I called Acura to see if the type air bag inflator in my car used ammonium nitrate. My car is not on the recalled list but given the nature of the problem I was going to replace, at least the driver's side, if the inflator was using the unstable propellant. Acura would not provide me any information. I called NHTSA and they told me to provide information to this site to see if I can get the information to protect myself and family regardless of the corporate decision.

- Brandon, FL, USA

Jan 222009

The SRS (supplemental restraint system) light came on and I took the vehicle to the dealer. They found an error code 15-1 and they reset the light but said they did not find anything wrong with the SRS system. I found another complaint (#10251604) and have the same question why this is not regarded as a safety concern.

- Goffstown, NH, USA

Nov 122008

2001 Acura Rl. SRS light is on. Dealer checked and found problem with opds unit and sensor and replaced. After replacement, re-initialized the system but the SRS stays on. Now, turn out that the SRS control unit is bad. Dealer said it will cost approx $2000 to replace the SRS control unit. Why SRS control unit is not considered a safety item?

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Aug 052008

2001 Acura 3.5 Rl SRS light elluminates opds sensor or module are replaceable under warranty but opds brain or unit is not covered and this is the part that is causing the SRS light to elluminate. Dealer says it is faulty and can not be replaced free. So now I have no air bags in the event of an accident.

- Winter Springs, FL, USA