NHTSA — Service Brakes, Hydraulic: Power Assist Problems

2005 Acura RL brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Acura RL:

2005 Acura RL Owner Comments

Apr 052005

RL 6-cyl

After informing the Acura service center about 3 months prior to the accident that the brakes were not functioning properly on 2 separate occasions, and being reassured that there was nothing wrong with the brakes, I rear-ended another car on April 5 because the brakes failed again. Acura refused to run a computer check on the car or to send anyone from California to inspect the car. The dealer service center had initially told me that they would have someone from California come to inspect the brakes after the accident. They told me that they checked the brakes by driving the car and that they were okay. They repeatedly told me that they would not do any further tests pertinent to my complaint unless the car insurance company requested that this be done. I spoke with several people at metlife, (our insurance company), and they told me that they do not make such requests. We should ask the manufacturer to run further testing. I again spoke with Acura service and the customer service center in California, (on several occasions), and was told they would not run any further testing of the brakes. They again stated that the brakes were fine, and that we should pick up the vehicle. To date, we have not picked up the vehicle because we are afraid that the vehicle is not safe to drive. The dealer has had the car sent to an auto body shop. This car is a leased vehicle. Repeatedly I asked for a written report regarding what was checked and found with brakes failures in these occasions, but no answer was received from Acura.

- Glen Rock, NJ, USA