NHTSA — Exterior Lighting Problems

2005 Acura RL (Page 2 of 2)

2005 Acura RL lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Acura RL:

2005 Acura RL Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Aug 232010

RL

Headlights have been flickering here and there, getting worse and worse. Now the drivers side headlight goes out and comes back on occasionally.

- Brownstown, MI, USA

Aug 122010

RL

I recently bought a 2005 Acura Rl--what a great car! the problem is these headlights keep flickering on and off, same as a lot of people here. This is very dangerous, and Acura needs to step up to the plate and initiate a recall before someone dies in an accident. Other than the headlight issues, I am very satisfied with the car.

- Cornwall, NY, USA

Jul 172010

RL

2005 Acura Rl passenger headlight intermittently will turn off while driving. The headlight will turn back on if I turn off the headlights & turn them back on. There is no telling when it will occur. It can occur 6 or 7 times in a 20 minute drive or not at all during the same drive the next evening. This has been occurring since I've owned the car in 12/2007.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Feb 022010

RL

2005 Acura Rl left headlight does not track afs warning light keeps coming on. Not all the time mostly when raining or in snow.

- Saint Joseph, MO, USA

Mar 072010

RL

2005 Acura Rl intermittent headlight problem. Headlights flicker when going over bumps but also one or the other of the other headlights goes completely dark while driving at night. Sometimes it is the left and sometimes it is the right headlight which goes dark while driving and for no apparent reason. I can ┐reset┐ the dimmed headlight by switching the headlights from ┐auto┐ to ┐off┐ and then back to ┐auto┐ again. 2- the failure is very often. At least 3 time a week. 3- I took my car to the dealer and paid about $98 so far but it happened again the very next day. According to what I'm reading online is that they will charge me from $600-$1200 per light and still not sure if that will fix the issue since it has been going on for over 5 years(since the car was out for sale).

- Saint Clair Shores, MI, USA

Jun 142010

RL

1. dangerous driving conditions 2. headlights flickering and shutting off 3. need to go to dealership. Reading online about problems from google.com when I typed 2005 Acura Rl headlights, a search came up where multiple people have had the same problem that I have had. The dealership keeps saying it's just the headlight that needs to be replaced and from what I know and read it is much more than that.

- Townsend, MA, USA

Jun 042010

RL

2005 Acura Rl active front headlighting I first complained about the problem to my dealer, and nothing was done. During driving at night the drivers head light flickers and goes off completely I live in Tennessee so I drive on mountain roads alot, to get the light back on to work properly I have to actually stop in the middle of the road, or pull over safely and turn off the headlights then back on again, this happens when going around curves, as well as over rough pavement I have researched online and this is a problem that occurs with this system and there has not been a positive fix as of yet please advise.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Mar 012008

RL

A couple years ago, I was stopped by a policeman because my driver's side headlight was out. He gave me a warning and told me to get it fixed. I took it into a local repair shop and when we checked the light, it was working. I have noticed that the light flickers quite a bit, and also that it will work for a while and then it won't. sometimes I can remedy the problem by turning the lights on and off, but not all the time. Meanwhile, I found out that the price for the bulb was $200 so decided to forego changing the bulb, since it didn't appear that was the problem. It continues to flicker and doesn't work all the time, but it's hard to notice when I'm in the city and on a lit street. I believe the problem is something called the inverter or ballast and that can cost up to $1,000 because you have to take the bumper off to get to it. I have been unhappy with the lighting system ever since we got the car.....not what I expected from an Acura product. I expressed my displeasure initially with the dealership but was told that's just the way they worked. Very dangerous on dark, rural roads which is what we drive on. I've read an Acura forum on-line and lots of people have the same feelings about the headlights. Love the car, hate the headlights! I hope this makes some sense, I don't seem to be able to scroll to read what I've written.

- Washougal, WA, USA

Apr 142010

RL

My 2005 Acura Rl has defective headlights. For no reason understood the headlights begin to flicker on and off then eventually go totally black when driving. This happens almost every time I drive now. My car only has 60,000 miles. This is inexcusable. The only way to get them to work is to turn the light switch all the way in the off position and then back to the on position. This is a very dangerous defect that happens while driving. I almost got into an accident because of this and have heard of other 05-06 Acura Rl owners getting into accidents because of this. There have been numerous complaints of this with all 2005-2006 Acura Rl's. Acura does not want to admit there is a serious defective lights system with the 05-06 Rl. What's it going to take for them to offer a recall on this problem. Someone's life in an accident.

- Farmingdale, NY, USA

Feb 072010

RL

Lights go out on Acura Rl 2005. The lights will periodically turn off when hitting a bump or going down hill. The dealer said the balast needs replaced which will cost and estimated 800 + dollars. Aside from the sever safety concern the cost to fix a broken head light is insane. Forget about it if you have to fix two of them. I have now read several forums on this and seen hundreds of post on all years of the Rl models and TL and none of this has been addressed. This problem is obviously sistemic of the lighting system and a recall should be enforced for the sheer insanity of driving without lights!

- New Kensington, PA, USA

Feb 262010

RL

My headlights flicker when going over road bumps. It becomes very difficult, and dangerous to see the road clearly at night. Acura wants to charge me approximately $1000 to replace the headlights.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Sep 102009

RL

Headlights flicker when car hit bumps or when headlights turn. It is very annoying. The flickering comes and goes, but it is getting more frequent. Have called the dealer about taking the car in and will make an appointment to take my cpo Rl to dealer for inspection this week. Car has 56K miles and it is a cpo Acura.

- Littleton, CO, USA

Dec 122009

RL

2205 Rl headlight briefly go out when I hit a bump in the road. Has been happening for past 6 months but now I am noticing it happening more frequently. Very dangerous at night.

- Hot Springs Village, AR, USA

Dec 062009

RL

I have a 2005 Acura Rl. The headlights flicker and periodically go out. The only way to get them to come back on is if I turn the headlights off and then back on. This, of course, happens at night and is extremely dangerous when I'm traveling down the road at 65 mph! this has been occurring for the past 4 months. The dealer replaced the sop hid control unit two days ago and it has not fixed the problem. It did cost me $553.95.

- Draper, UT, USA

Nov 152009

RL

2005 Acura Rl: Head lights flicker when hitting bump in the road. Occurs daily (nightly) now and getting worse. I expect they will eventually go out. Now getting quotes to correct. Hundreds of dollars and probably over $1000 that I don't think I should pay.

- Blacksburg, VA, USA

Jul 312009

RL

My headlight on my Acura Rl are intermittent and going out every so often, more often then not. The problem just started to happen. It happens all the time off and on. The problem is with the light ballast and it will run you from $500 to $1200 to repair.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Mar 122007

RL

Head light flickers on/off intermittently.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Feb 012009

RL

My 05 Rl's right side low beam headlight started flickering several months ago and now the flickering has progressed to headlight going completely out. When the light switch is turned from auto to off and then back on, the lights come back on.

- Magnolia, NJ, USA

Apr 152009

RL

Own 2005 Acura Rl, that has afs light system. While driving vehicle on interstate, the headlights are intermittent and goes off at times, leaving me without visibility of the road ahead. I've contacted Acura and they state that vehicle is out of warranty and cannot service. My concern is that is a safety issue. I have also googled issue and have seen numerous complaints abut the afs system.

- Fort Leavenworth, KS, USA