NHTSA — Fuel System, Gasoline Problems

2009 Acura RL fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Acura RL:

2009 Acura RL Owner Comments

Jan 292010

On three occasions the gas pedal and brake pedal deployed at the same time on my 2009 Acura Rl. The third time this resulted in an impact on a parked vehicle. The brake pedal and accelerator pedal are two inches apart and when I step on the brake pedal it stops on a level equal to the accelerator pedal therefore it causes a circumstance that deploys both pedals simultaneously.(I actually find myself and my wife hitting the brake and the gas at the same time because the pedals are too close together). I reported the problem to Acura in torrance ca. And to the dealership in sanford fl. And they said it the way the Rl is designed and nothing can be done to fix the problem. We are concerned the vehicle presents a significant safety threat on the highway and I will trade it for another brand. By the way, this decision is not made lightly as I have purchased 11 Honda Accord and 2 Acura since 1980. This is truly a very sad ending for a loyal customer but our safety must be a priority. Thank you.

- Deland, FL, USA