CarComplaints.com Notes: The 1999-2003 Acura TL has a known & widespread defect with the transmission.

Honda fixed some vehicles with a recall in 2004 by changing the oil cooler return line. To settle a class action lawsuit in 2006, Honda extended the transmission warranty on some of these Acura TL's to 93 months / 109,000 miles.

Now these vehicles are past the warranty limit, so buyer beware.

1999 Acura TL transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Acura TL:

1999 Acura TL Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Mar 012008

TL

My ignition switch has been recalled and the Acura website says it has been repaired. It has failed again. My transmission was suppose to have been repair a year ago. I left the car at the dealer and they told me it was fixed. I went out to the car and the transmission lockout still was not fixed. Then they told me they would have to something different. The car had not left the dealers lot and was not fixed at that time.

- Somers, NY, USA

Oct 012007

TL 6-cyl

My vehicle habitually demonstrates the performance failures detailed in the NHTSA campaign id number # 04V176000. Although the manufacturer indicated the recall is limited to the 2000-2004 models, the symptoms of the product failure on my vehicle match identically. My 2nd gear has been ruined due to excessive heat.

- Edison, NJ, USA

Jul 012005

TL 6-cyl

Acura conducted an warranty extension for TL transmission instead of being forced to recall. Mine is acting up and the warranty has passed. I own a 1999 Acura TL.

- Centreville, VA, USA

Jun 132005

TL 6-cyl

Transmission surge, increase in speed when stepping on accelerator. Slammed into gear, mostly when the engine was cold, and at a stand still, and then surged into gear. Took vehicle to dealership and it was under recall. The dealer refused to fix it. Consumer will contact the manufacturer. The differential gear wobbled. Which caused the axle seal to break. The transmission fluid leak out from the axle casing. The dealer simply revealed a broken gasket seal, a defective axle and not the real cause of the problem (differential wobbling).

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Apr 012005

TL 6-cyl

There is a recall on transmission for a 1999 Acura TL. One of the reason for the recall stated on Acura website is the transmission fluid leaking. I bought the car with leaked atf to the dealer. They said it's not cover in the recall. I called Acura but there is still no reply. I was charged $90 for diagnosis.

- Sugar Land, TX, USA

Jul 062004

TL

While accelerating gears jerked. Dealer stated the entire transmission needed to be replaced.

- Pataskala, OH, USA

Mar 022004

TL 6-cyl

My tranny is slipping, it jerks, it makes noises and dealers are refusing to replace becuase it didn't fall out and break off the vehicle yete.

- South Ozone Park, NY, USA

Jan 062004

TL 6-cyl

Automatic transmission failed. Will not change gears while vehicle in motion. This happened after the 2nd transmission has been replaced!

- Missouri City, TX, USA

Jan 132004

TL

While driving shifted gears hard, causing vehicle to jerk. Dealership serviced vehicle and noticed transmission needed to be replaced.

- Tracy, CA, USA

Dec 022003

TL 6-cyl

The consumer could remove the key from the ignition while the transmission was in any gear. The vehicle has rolled on many occasion, luckily there have been no accidents. A recall was issued on this problem but the consumer's vehicle was not included due to VIN.

- Buffalo Grove, IL, USA

Nov 082003

TL 6-cyl

I own a 99 Acura TL. Receive a notice from Acura regarding an extension of warranty on the transmission. I went on internet to do research, to my horror, there are people had their transmission replaced up to 6 times. In some occasion it was reported the transmisson fail in the middle of the freeway. I believe this is the utmost safety issue that need to be investigated thoroughly.

- Tacoma, WA, USA

Apr 052003

TL

Transmission jolts when put into reverse. Has occurred tons of times, even broken an engine mount. Dealers can't make it happen repeatedly so they don't fix it. This is one of two 99 TL's that I bought new. The other had to have the transmission replaced after much time in the shop and broken engine mounts. At times this care has difficulty shifting up while on the road and also will jump down into a lower gear with a jolt. This has been happening for over a year.

- Austin, TX, USA

Feb 212003

TL

Internal transmission failure at 51,000 miles on my 1999 3.2 TL Acura.

- Sherman Oaks, CA, USA

Dec 112002

TL

The transmissions on these cars need to be fixed there have been numerous amount of people with the same year and type of car that have had problems with their automatic transmissions. I used to own a Honda Accord with low mileage and it too had defective automatic transmission. I do not want to have an accident in my car and cause injury to thers and myself due to the lack of quality that my car has due to it's transmission.

- Sunnyside, NY, USA

Nov 032000

TL

My 1999 Acura 3.2tl auto transmission slips on gears and grinds on torque converter, manufacturer designed piece of !@#$%.

- El Monte, CA, USA

Nov 272002

TL

Was driving down the road at 65 mph and out of no where the cars transmission down shifted into first gear. My car hopped and kicked me threw two lanes of traffic. I managed to get the car to the side of the road but I could have been seriously hurt. This is the second time the transmission and other components had to be changed in this vehicle and this time I could have killed my self or others.

- Wappingers Falls, NY, USA

Nov 182002

No summary.

- Apex, NC, USA

Jul 012002

TL

Transmission slips out of gear, not go into gear, abruptly downshift/upshift, refuse to shift

- East Hartford, CT, USA

Jun 102002

TL

Weak bearing installed by manufacturer fell apart, killed shift solenoids and transmission. No warranty replacement is $6000 with labor (20% of the cost of the car new).

- Ripon, CA, USA

Apr 302002

TL

Identical to item ODI id: 8003029. On March 05, 2002, I drove my car to several different places to take care of some errands. My last stop was at the seminole county circuit court in altamonte springs to apply for a passport. I parked my car in a parking spot. While I was moving the automatic transmission stick into the park position (with my foot on the brake pedal), my car suddenly accelerated, causing it to jump the curb in front of my car as seen in figure 1. I tried my best to control the car and not to hit other parked cars. Luckily, I managed to avoid all of the parked cars except one.

- Longwood, FL, USA