NHTSA — Power Train Problems

2002 Acura TL (Page 2 of 2)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 1999-2003 Acura TL has a known & widespread defect with the transmission.

Honda fixed some vehicles with a recall in 2004 by changing the oil cooler return line. To settle a class action lawsuit in 2006, Honda extended the transmission warranty on some of these Acura TL's to 93 months / 109,000 miles.

Now these vehicles are past the warranty limit, so buyer beware.

2002 Acura TL drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Acura TL:

2002 Acura TL Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Aug 152011

TL

The contact owns a 2002 Acura 3.2 TL. The contact was driving 75 mph when the check engine lamp illuminated and smoke was emitted from under the vehicle. The contact mentioned that he was unable to drive the vehicle since the gear would not shift. The vehicle was towed to a local mechanic, who diagnosed that the transmission had overheated to the point that it melted all of the cables. As a result, the transmission needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance since the contact had the repairs performed at an independent shop. The failure mileage was 110,000 and the current mileage was 110,300.

- Amarillo , TX, USA

Jan 102011

TL

Car was purchased March of 2010 with 69K miles. Transmission failed in January of 2011 at approx. 73K miles. Dealer replaced transmission for $1800, after informing us that transmission was replaced by previous owner at approx. 60K miles. Just 13K miles prior. After less than 1 week after transmission is replaced, iac valve was replaced due to unstable RPM. I have never heard of a transmission failing after only 13K miles, nonetheless, a car having at least two transmissions replaced after only 73K miles. For all I know, the transmission should have never failed yet, I should not have had to pay for the repair because Acura cannot fix the problem, and this car should not be bought, sold, or driven.

- Banning, CA, USA

Jan 182004

TL

Noise when going from park to reverse and reverse to park. Received recall notice after transmission was replace.

- Miami, FL, USA

Aug 092004

TL

The vehicle's transmission failed.

- Algonquin, IL, USA

Jan 152003

TL

My transmission has failed twice. When it failed the first time in January of 2003, I was exiting the interstate with my child in the car. I was able to make it off the road safely, but it made me realize how dangerous it would have been if it happened a minute earlier on the interstate in high speed traffic. It failed the second time June 20, 2003, and the dealer tells me Acura does not have any new transmissions available. They want to give me a remanufactured transmission. I don't think it is safe to give a customer a previously failed transmission.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Aug 202002

TL

I was on highway 280 doing about 65 in my morning commute from san francisco to cupertino. Without warning, my transmission shifted from fourth to second, sending my car into a sideways skid as if I had hit the brakes...hard. Fortunately, the car beside me on the right was able to avoid hitting me as was the car behind me. Left with second gear, I limped back to the dealer and received my car, with a new transmission, three weeks later. I am lucky to have not been injured and do not trust this car any longer. It was bought for insuring the safety of my family and I am worried about a repeat failure. Thanks, ben. Ph **dimsii IVOQ entry posted after 12/12/02 cut over to artemis**768534

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Mar 062003

TL

The engine revved up to 4000 RPM as if the vehicle was in neutral. The transmission did not automatically shift into higher gear as it should have. Scc

- Kendallville, IN, USA