NHTSA — Structure: Body Problems

2004 Acura TL (Page 2 of 3)

2.1

2004 Acura TL body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Acura TL:

2004 Acura TL Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Jun 042012

TL 6-cyl

The dashboard in my 2004 Acura TL is cracked on the passenger side along the airbag. Started out just a crack about 1/4" and two days later the crack is over 8 inches. Also the dashboard on the driver's side cracked first from just in front of the steering column all the way to the windshield and is now a complete square from steering column to windshield and back to steering column. If this isn't a safety issue, I don't know what is! we own two other Honda, 2001 and 2000 civics, and neither of those cars have cracks and are in better shape than the Acura TL.

- Roanoke, VA, USA

Aug 012012

TL

While driving we heard a loud pop that sounded like a very large rock hit the windshield. While inspecting the windshield we noticed that the noise had come from the dashboard splitting. The area covering the passenger side airbag has split and the entire dash, withing just a few days, has split from the initial 4 inch split to about 8 inches. I am concerned that this could affect airbag deployment as the decreased resistance could mean the airbag deployment speed is greater. (worth noting: We purchased this car new and it has been garage kept its entire life. Also, when the car is in the sun I always use a sunshield.)

- Colfax, NC, USA

Aug 062012

TL

The contact owns a 2004 Acura TL. The contact stated that a large crack developed on the dash board. As a result, the air bag became exposed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 98,000.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Jun 302012

TL 6-cyl

Dash separating around passenger side airbag.

- Collierville, TN, USA

May 182012

TL 6-cyl

The vehicle is a 2004 Acura TL. It is mainly garaged kept and well maintained. It has developed a large crack in the dashboard running from the windshield towards the passenger seat. It appeared one day for no apparent reason. The car has not been in any accident. There is an extended warranty on the car but they won't cover this. In my opinion, this is due to inferior materials and/or design and should be repaired by the manufacturer. What happens if there is an accident and the air bag deploys...will the cracked dash prevent the air bag from deploying properly" or will there be pieces of the dashboard acting as little missiles posing a threat to the occupants"

- Kaneohe, HI, USA

Jul 142011

TL

The dashboard on the passenger side has cracked. There are two vertical cracks over the airbags. I asked the dealership about replacing it and I was told it's considered wear and tear. I was quoted a price of over $1700 dollars. After looking into it on the internet I was amazed at how many people had the exact complaint. I was told by a collision shop that this is very dangerous if airbag mistakenly deploys. Many Acura.owners have had the exact experience with the dealership unwilling to replace it. Can someone look into this issue? it would be greatly appreciated.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Mar 172012

TL 6-cyl

There is a water leak under the right rear passenger seat that has caused the bottom of the seat cushion to be covered in mold. The water leak is a known condition with the '04 TL that Acura has documented in their April 2005 service news. Acura has been aware of the issue for at least 7 years and has done nothing proactive to correct it even though it's a simple fix. I'm confident that the long term exposure to the mold has caused me the sinus and lung/asthma problems that have been plaguing me for the last few years and that began shortly after I purchased the car and never connected to the car even though I have undergone a variety of testing from different doctors.

- Rockville, MD, USA

Feb 162012

TL

The contact owns a 2004 Acura TL. The contact stated that a crack was present on the passenger side portion of the dashboard. The contact also stated that the crack was getting worse with time. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not notified. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 102,000 and the current mileage was 103,500.

- Port Charlotte, FL, USA

Sep 012010

TL

The contact owns a 2004 Acura TL. The contact stated that the dashboard cracked due to defective material. The dashboard had an extensive fracture at the air bag area. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for the defect. The dealer advised the contact that the fractured dashboard would not affect the deployment of the air bag. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 100,000 and the current mileage was 130,000.

- Johnson City , TN, USA

Aug 152011

TL

There are cracks appearing in the dash. One long one is next to the passenger side air bag and there are several others on the driver's side as well. They have severely decreased the appeal of the car and hence the value. I had a Toyota corolla for 245,000 miles and there wasn't a single crack in the dash and no special care was given to the dash. Acura should be embarrassed. I have seen pictures of other defective dashes from the internet and the cracks appear in the same places. This is obviously a design flaw or a material quality issue.

- Warren, AR, USA

Dec 012011

TL

The contact owns a 2004 Acura TL. The contact stated that a large fracture, the size of an airbag, was present on the dashboard on the passenger's side. In addition, there was a long fracture up the middle of the dashboard on the driver's side. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and they informed the contact that the dashboard and airbag may possibly need to be replaced. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified and they offered no assistance. The failure mileage was approximately 99,500.

- Otto, NC, USA

Jul 012009

TL

The contact owns a 2004 Acura TL. The contact noticed that there was a long crack on the dashboard where the passenger side air bag was located. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 97,000.

- Smyrna, GA, USA

Jun 012010

TL

The contact owns a 2004 Acura TL. The contact stated that the dashboard failed and split in half near the passenger side air bag housing. The dealer was contacted and advised the contact that the dashboard failure was caused by wear and tear and was not considered a safety defect. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 75,000 and the current mileage was 94,000.

- Jonesboro, GA, USA

Dec 012010

TL 6-cyl

Several large cracks have appeared across the dashboard. It appears to be a huge complaint among Acura owners. The largest crack runs over the passenger airbag raising the question of airbag integrity and function. Such a widespread problem should be considered a manufacturer's defect and therefore be recalled and repaired by Acura.

- Denham Springs, LA, USA

Oct 242011

TL 6-cyl

I recently discovered a huge gash on my 04 Acura TL's dashboard. I am worried that this crack will cause an airbag failure or even result in deploying prematurely. It is located all the way from the steering wheel to the windshield with an additional crack towards the middle. As the crack has expanded within the past week, I have found that just above the center console, the airbag has been pushed to the side, causing the airbag to bubble up in the center. I called Acura and was told that they give discounts on the product because it should never happen and because it wasn't my fault, just a faulty product that has been discovered in several other states. I talked to the district manager of gunn Acura in sa, tx about the issue and was told that since I haven't used Acura's service department as much as they like (pretty much saying that I haven't given them enough money), they would give me only a 15% discount when I was told to expect around 75%. my car is out of warranty but I don't see how that would matter if it was bound to happen anyway. I don't understand why this defect isn't a recall. The district manager told me that if anything, the airbag would come out faster if needed since there is already a crack to open it up. But that might not be a good thing, especially when it is pushed out of the way and how the airbag doesn't come out of the dashboard. When I spoke to the district manager, the first thing I was told was that the offer is staying the same, no matter what. He checked his notes and decided a price before even consulting me or asking questions. He was set on a rate before he even spoke with me. The price hasn't changed and I am expected to pay for a $2000 dashboard with a 15% discount. My main concern is that the airbag will deploy any day now for no reason. It is getting to the point where I am actually scared to drive my car because of this issue.

- Castroville, TX, USA

Jun 022008

TL 6-cyl

Dashboard cracks on right side area of air bag.

- Titusville, FL, USA

Sep 162011

TL

12-15" cracks have developed over the entire dashboard causing the air bag malfunction light on the dash to illuminate--thereby indicating a problem with the air bag. This is clearly due to the problematic cracks over the entire surface of the dashboard, including both the driver side and passenger side. Going over a pot hole or severe bump could cause the air bag to inflate and possibly cause an accident or injury to the front passenger. The 2004 Acura dashboard obviously is defective and should be replaced by Acura and further, investigated for potential accidental discharge of the passenger air bag.

- Potomac, MD, USA

Aug 012010

TL

The contact owns a 2004 Acura TL. The contact noticed that the dashboard was fractured and there was a larger fracture on the passenger side where the air bag was located. The contact was concerned that the failure could affect the deployment of the air bags in the event of a crash. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The current mileage was 83,000 and the approximate failure mileage was 73,000.

- Los Angelos, CA, USA

Jun 012011

Dash board cracked

- Montgomery , AL, USA

Aug 272010

TL

I am writing about my 2004 Acura TL and having a cracked dash and might have a safety issue concerning the deployment of the airbag.

- Killeen, TX, USA