NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2004 Acura TL electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Acura TL:

2004 Acura TL Owner Comments

Feb 222016

Driving along and power goes out. As if pops out of gear. But do not hear a popping into and out of gear. Then all the sudden pops back into gear. This is dangerous. High speed and then power goes out.

- Bella Vista, AR, USA

Jun 012007

TL 6-cyl

The biggest problem with my Acura is the battery. I have replaced at least 4 batteries since about 39,000 miles. I never knew why my battery was dying until about two months ago, an employee at Acura told me that the hands free link is draining too much of the battery because of some faulty equipment. I asked for them to cover it for free and was denied because there is no recall with that equipment yet. They are aware that other Acura have had the same problem and yet they still won't cover my cost for new equipment or at least cover cost to get the hands free disconnected. This device is still draining my battery. The other problem with car is that the brakes in front were sticking so bad I had to ge the roaders grinded on two different occasions. Now the back brakes are sticking too. Please call when you reach a decision.

- Menifee, CA, USA

Sep 302009

TL 6-cyl

About 18 months ago the headlights on my 2004 TL began flickering on and off while I was driving. I took the car to Acura but they couldn't find the problem and they told me it would cost $1000 to do an "appropriate diagnostic test". the problem with the headlamps stopped after a few months, but then other lights began going out (interior center console where the ac and radio are, and the interior console to the left of the steering wheel, and the interior door console) and flickering (exterior side panel lights when I alarm or dis-alarm the car). I took the car to Acura again in Nov 2011, and they told me the problem was was fixed after they replaced my battery, but they mistakenly only looked at the driver's dashboard lights where the speedometer/odometer are located (and where there is no problem) and the techs didn't understand what I was talking about. This lighting problem is getting unsafe, as I can no longer see the buttons for the ac/defrost, etc. At night and I have to fumble around to press the correct buttons. I know I am not the only one with this issue. The battery was so drained that I had to replace it, I believe because of this issue.

- Houston, TX, USA

Dec 042009

Wiring harness under molding below driver's side door inside passenger compartment developed a short, causing passenger compartment to fill with smoke. Molding melted and situation was averted prior to a fire developing.

- Meriden, CT, USA