NHTSA — Air Bags Problems

2004 Acura TL (Page 2 of 7)

2004 Acura TL seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Acura TL:

2004 Acura TL Owner Comments (Page 2 of 7)

Sep 292015

TL

Turning into a lane in the town (in motion), a car ran a red light, T-boned the car driver side. Totaled the car and shifted the entire car across the frame. Steering wheel bag did not inflate. If it did it would have helped my injuries. Red lighted by a large 1/2 ton or more red truck at about 40-45 miles per hour.

- Paradise, CA, USA

Sep 202015

TL

The contact owns a 2004 Acura TL. While the vehicle was parked, the dashboard cracked near the passenger side and exposed the air bag. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 184,000.

- Edwardsville, KS, USA

Jun 162014

TL

Airbag indicator light on instrument panel illuminates periodically. Dashboard has developed two significant cracks directly over the front passenger airbag. I am concerned that the combination of the airbag indicator light and dashboard cracks indicate a safety issue. If the airbag were to deploy, it may not do so appropriately. The cracks could cause it to deploy in wrong direction, rendering it ineffective or dangerous. Also, pieces of dashboard could break off in event of airbag deployment and result in projectiles that could injure occupants.

- Smyrna, GA, USA

Jun 102012

TL

I purchased my 2004 Acura TL 3.2L in August 2009. When I purchased the vehicle it had no marks on the dash. About a year after purchase I started to notice a crack on the drivers side about two inches long. I thought I might've scratched it with my ring. As time past, that small crack became viral. Stretches all over my dash. The scariest part is that the crack is running a perfect rectangle and shows a small indent where the passenger side air bag is. Now my airbag light goes on and stays on occasionally. I love my car and really hate to look at my cracks on my dash that somewhat resembles a spiderweb. I do not feel safe having a passenger bc who know when that may burst (if possible). I feel Acura should recall these cars bc we paid for a durable, safe, and luxury car. This appears to be a common error with this make, year and model. My car still runs beautifully and hate to see her go down like this.

- Freeport, NY, USA

Aug 172015

TL

I have Acura TL 2004 well maintained service on time. One day it's raining and I drive around 10 mph and after some time my steering was froze I can't move I about to get crashed then I think it might be due to steering fluid I check its almost good then I drive next few days and problem gone but again when it's raining it did same thing.im scared to drive that car in raining. It's only bad in raining I don't know why. It also has sometime airbag warning on in rain.

- Duluth, GA, USA

Aug 012012

TL

From last 3-4 years the dashboard is getting cracks and the crack lines are overlapping air bags path. For last 2 months the air bag lights are on randomly.

- Lawrence Township, NJ, USA

Aug 012014

TL

My dashboard started to crack, very little to start but now has 6 major cracks running up and down the entire dash board with the cracks going complexly around the air bags.

- Midlothian, VA, USA

Jul 302015

TL 6-cyl

I have a 2004 Acura TL and in the last months cracks have appeared on the dashboard, directly around the airbag compartment on the passenger side. It is definitely a defect of workmanship and or materials. There is way too much consistency in the positions of the cracks. There are hundreds of posts on social media reporting the same issue. Https://www.facebook.com/acuratldefectivedash/posts/219662424726766 my car has 165K miles, is garage kept, detailed regularly with one owner.

- Laurel, MD, USA

Jul 082015

TL

My 04 TL has pretty much had nothing but tlc since I bought it in 2010 with 42000miles now in 2015 I'm at 87000miles and I get the cracked dash... I read about this when I bought the car and I was hoping I was going to be lucky but I guess not. MA 10/5 this is obviously an Acura screw up...

- Neptune , NJ, USA

Jun 152015

TL

Cracks have appeared in the dashboard especially around the passenger side airbag. The airbag light has been on since the first crack appeared. Dealer says to trade in the car and buy a new one! why doesn't Acura own this issue and fix this systemic problem that owners are reporting? this is potentially a huge safety issue as I am concerned that the air bag may deploy unexpectedly.

- Rockville, MD, USA

May 022014

TL

Cracks in the passenger side dashboard began overnight that outlined the passenger airbag. Car is garaged and kept in parking garage at work. Discoloration of the dash began at 40,000 miles only involving this same part. I used meguires dashboard protector at the advice of the Acura dealership since 40,000 miles but that didn't seem to stop the process. Dash part appears defective but Acura does not appear interested in recalling.

- Charleston , SC, USA

Jun 042014

TL

Front passanger dash began to crack in airbag area for no appearent reason. Was not over exposed to the sun and vehical had just over 80,000 miles at first sight of damage. Dash cracking continued on both sides of passanger airbag down towards glove compartment. Airbag light is permanently on due to this compromise. I tried to inquire about dealership coverage of replacement of this safety hazard, as I feared that bags may fully deploy at the slightest bump on the road/highway. Dealership said that I solely would have to cover repair and replacement of entire dash console, as they could not, and would not, take any responsiblity for defective equipment/materials. I have not repaired, as the cost is well into the $2,000 range for parts and labor! I am uneasy driving my vehical. I was not aware that so many Acura TL 2004 owners have experienced the same problem. Acura should take safety responsibility and recall all 2004 Acura TL vehicles with passenger dash/airbag defects!

- San Jose, CA, USA

May 112015

TL

The contact owns a 2004 Acura TL. While driving at an undetermined speed, the passenger side air bag inadvertently deployed. There were no injuries. The passenger side leather seat was severally damaged and torn due to the failure. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 104,000.

- York, PA, USA

Jul 112007

TL 6-cyl

The cracks around passanger side airbag. The air bag light has been on since the first crack appear. The cracks are on all over the dashboard. Some chipping started now. I have taken to the dealer many times and I was told there is no issue but couldn't clear the light. The car is always parked in garage and under canopy at work.

- Graham, NC, USA

Mar 042015

TL 6-cyl

Extensive cracking of dashboard cover, including near passenger side airbag which may cause dashboard pieces to become missiles in the event of deployment of this airbag. Acura has of this date not issued a recall or in any way that I know of accepted responsibility for this product issue.

- Arnold, MD, USA

Mar 052014

TL 6-cyl

A small crack developed on the dashboard on left side of the passenger side airbag. Over time, the crack has grown and another crack has developed on the right side along the passenger side airbag. Both cracks are of equal length running from the top of the dashboard down past the airbag. Now there are more than 6 cracks on the entire dashboard and they are progressing in all directions everyday. Rapid progression of these cracks (specially the ones around the passenger side air bag area) makes me very uncomfortable driving around this car. If the dashboard is not replaced immediately, this air bag could deploy pre maturely and cause serious harm and/or injury and/or death of my family member. This definitely looks like a recall issue and Acura/dealer needs to pay for the part to be fixed and/or replaced.

- Bloomfield, NJ, USA

Mar 012012

TL 6-cyl

The dashboard cracked in 3 places. It appeared to almost happen overnight it was so quick. The car has always been garaged or parked under a cover at work. It only gets direct sunlight while driving and the occasional store parking lot. At this writing the number of cracks is now 6.

- Katy, TX, USA

Mar 092015

TL

The contact owns a 2004 Acura TL. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V351000 (air bags) however, the part needed to do the repair was not available. The contact felt the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the delay. The VIN was not available. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Barksdale, CA, USA

Oct 012014

TL 6-cyl

3 cracks have been forming for the last 6 months on my dash from the middle speaker over to the left airbag compartment area. They are now beginning to split. The airbag light also now comes on when there is a passenger riding on the right front seat. Dealership gave me a replacement price of $2500 but that Acura corporate is knocking off less than $200 for "goodwill". this is an obvious defect.

- Washington, DC, USA

Feb 232015

TL

I am the 2nd owner of a 2004 Acura TL that I purchased in October of 2007. It has been a great vehicle with the exception of a recent defect issue. The dashboard has cracked multiple times directly over the passenger side airbag as well as over the instrument panel. It appears this is a common defect reported by several other owners of this year, make, and model of vehicle. I'm afraid the cracks may cause inadvertent airbag deployment which would be extremely dangerous to myself or any other occupant that may be in my car. I strongly believe Acura needs to step up and handle this safety issue.

- Olathe, KS, USA