NHTSA — Air Bags Problems

2004 Acura TL (Page 3 of 7)

2004 Acura TL seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Acura TL:

2004 Acura TL Owner Comments (Page 3 of 7)

Feb 142015

TL 6-cyl

Passenger airbag warning light had been on for around 5 months prior to incident date where the dashboard has cracked right down the center of the airbag location and toward the center of the dashboard as well. We are in fear of the bag causing serious injury or death due to deploying spontaneously or not deploying correctly upon the result of a collision. I researched this problem as I am meticulous about my vehicles and always kept the interior surfaces protected as well as used a sun shield to keep the uv rays from affecting or fading the surface of the dash. I have not gone to a dealership as I see this is a major manufacturer issue and Acura seems to be turning it's back on it's loyal customers. Please let me know what I need to do to pursue this further or join in a massive lawsuit.

- New Castle, PA, USA

Mar 082013

TL 6-cyl

The passenger side air bag light on the Acura stays on due to the fact that the dash is cracking so bad around the air bag that it appears the air bag could very easily pop through the dash. I contacted Acura as soon as I saw the cracks but of course they claim its not defective just usual wear and tare!! but through research I have found that there are many Acura owners complaining of this issue but Acura won't do anything about this! so does someone have to die due to a malfunctioning passenger side air bag because of their defective dash issues. This isn't a new issue for Acura owners however, us owners cannot find a way to be heard and get Acura to fix this issue. You tell me if its safe to see a dash that will swell up in the heat of summer and close the gaps in the cracks on a dash and then seem them very openly gapped open in the winter due to the cold. Still waiting for the worse to happen so Acura owners can get justice for this defect in a $50,000 car!!!!

- Tabor City, NC, USA

Oct 012014

TL 6-cyl

I bought a certified used 2004 Acura TL in 2011. The car was in awesome shape. Then in Oct. 2014, I noticed two cracks running from the windshield almost to the glove box. It appeared to outline the airbag on the passenger side. Hairline cracks in the first couple of weeks. Then a cold spell hit and the cracks became much larger. Now a crack is running across the airbag area. I am very concerned about safety due to the airbag being compromised by a cracked dash. I took it to the dealer where I have purchased 3 Acura TL's for my family. They told me that it was a very well known problem but there was no recall on this issue. They suggested using leather conditioner to soften the dash in hopes of stopping the spread of the cracks. They blamed it on armer all type product usage on the dash. They even gave me a leather conditioner kit to apply. Now, I have researched the thousands of other complaints about Acura TL dashboard/airbag issues with cracked dashboards in 2004-2008 models. Safety is being compromised while Acura/Honda refuses to take responsibility. I have never seen a dashboard crack like this in the 40 years of car ownership! it screens defect and must be recalled.

- Nashville , TN, USA

Mar 192014

TL

In March of last year a crack in the dashboard running parallel to the driver side airbag appeared and extended from the windshield to the to glove compartment. In the intervening months, several more cracks near the airbag have appeared and the SRS warning light is on whenever the ignition is live. Given the recent publicity regarding airbags, and the many similar complaints I have read from other owners of 2004 Acura TL's, I am increasingly concerned that this defect is both widespread and dangerous. Since Acura is aware of the hazard these significant failures present, and to date has taken no action to correct them, I believe the NHTSA must act to compel Acura to recall and repair the affected vehicles.

- Mission Viejo, CA, USA

Sep 012013

TL 6-cyl

I noticed a small crack over my passenger airbag area over a year ago. That small crack has now grown to a much larger crack, in size and depth. Several cracks now all over dashboard. The ones over passenger airbag concern me due to its location. I have read that it has caused the airbag light to turn on. I have contacted Acura to possibly replace it but because my warranty has expired, they refused.

- Corona, CA, USA

Jan 012013

TL

The contact owns a 2004 Acura TL. The contact stated that the passenger side dashboard began to deteriorate around the air bag. In addition, the air bag warning light remained illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 110,000.

- North Chesterfield , VA, USA

TL

In the last 10 days, the SRS dash light came on without a known incident. Researching online Acura information, many areas refers to cracking of the dashboard as a possible reason for the SRS light to stay on. Upon investigation, there is a 15 inch crack on the passenger side, going down the right side of the airbag placement. Reports say cracks will continue, Acura knows of the issue however will not recall or correct the issue. For the numerous reported issues of cracking dashboards, Acura should take the corrective action needed. This has been my best purchase to date and have unquestionable faith in the car. With the multitude of complaints about this same issue, how can it be ignored? before this, I would not consider purchasing anything other than another Acura however a $36K vehicle should not have a known repetitive issue thru several years of models. I called Acura client relations in the us ((800) 382-2238) and had them open a case number for my issue. Not sure if it will do anything however it can not hurt. Only 43K on the car, immaculate 2004. Normally stored during the winter. Dealer maintained.

Oct 172013

TL

I have the same problem that every 04 Acura TL has. The dashboard has been cracking on me and my airbag indicator light stays on. I have contacted Acura about the problem and they told me to take it into a dealer so they could look at it and send a report. I have not heard from anyone about fixing the problem let alone, hear from anyone at all. Acura should take care of this problem before someone gets seriously injured from a premature airbag deployment because of the cracked weak dashboard. The manufacturer should not wait for some thing serious like a death to happen from the problem just to fix it. The problem should be taken care of now. We the consumers want action and satisfaction with this problem. I hope Acura comes to their senses and fixes this problem immediately. Goodnight!!

- Ruskin, FL, USA

Aug 222014

TL

Purchased 2004 Acura TL in late August 2014. Initially thought the markings on the passenger side of the dashboard were as designed due to the uniform appearance. Turns out, there are multiple cracks in the dash going in different directions. Cracks are at least 10 inches and there are several. I am very concerned about the airbag deploying. This is our third Acura and we have never seen this before. Looking at this board, I see multiple complaints regarding TL dashboard cracking. Hope Acura will evaluate this issue and determine whether or not there is any danger to front seat passengers.

- Glen Allen, VA, USA

Sep 192014

TL 6-cyl

My 2004 Acura TL has a defective dashboard. I've seen cracking in my dashboard that was disguised in the instrument panel since 2007. It originally looked like the crack was part of the design above the instrument panel. In the past three years, the cracking has spread all over the dashboard to the passenger side comprimising the integrity of the airbag deployment feature in my vehicle. I have received nothing from Acura corporate for an obvious dashboard design flaw for 2004-2006 Acura TL models. Acura corporate says that cracked dash is a result of wear and tear. My concern is the safety of the airbag during normal deployment and whether or not it will protect my family in the event of an impending accident.

- Manassas, VA, USA

May 012014

TL

Dashboard has cracked (~10+ inches) need airbag seem. Crack is large. May result in high velocity debris during air bag deployment. May result in improper air bag deployment.

- Redondo Beach, CA, USA

Aug 272014

TL

There appears to be a defect with the air bag system. The warning light was intermittently illuminated, and it now remains lit nearly every time the vehicle is driven. I brought the car into the dealership (Acura of stevens creek in California). They see the air bag system issue, but will not take a look at the car for less than $180. I unfortunately don't have $180 for just a look (this amount does not include the cost to fix the problem). The worst part is that this appears to be a known problem under warranty, but they refuse the look at the car unless I pay $180. I am extremely angry they would put my family and me in unnecessary danger like this. Also, if this is a known defect, they should repair all their cars on the road and not subject people to dangers like this.

- Cupertino, CA, USA

Mar 052014

TL 6-cyl

A small crack developed on the dashboard on left side of the passanger side airbag. Over time, the crack has grown and another crack has developed on the right side along the passanger side airbag. Both cracks are of equal length running from the top of the dashboard down past the airbag. This definitely looks like a recall issue or Acura needs to pay for the part to be fixed and/or replaced.

- Bloomfield, NJ, USA

Apr 162008

TL

The dashboard started cracking and keeps getting long where the airbag is on passenger side.

- Villa Rica, GA, USA

Jul 062014

TL 6-cyl

The dash just always had a line in it. It looked as if it is where the airbag is. And now it just started to crack. I'm just not sure if it is a safety hazard or not and if the airbag will still work.

- Greensburg, PA, USA

May 112014

TL

While I was driving, I heard a buzzing noise. I turned to my passenger side to realize my dashboard airbag was cracking! this needs to be recalled!

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Apr 302013

TL 6-cyl

Within a 24-hour period, numerous cracks appeared on the top of the dashboard. Most noticeable are two cracks that outline the portion of the dash that covers the passenger side air bag. My concern is that this condition will affect the operation of the airbag and its deployment when activated in a crash. This condition could be a danger to the passenger.

- Seabrook, TX, USA

Feb 122014

TL 6-cyl

We purchased an Acura TL in 2013 as a third owner. We love the car and is always garage kept. However, one day suddenly cracks starting appearing along the dashboard on the passengers side. Also, the cracks propagated along the driver's side too. When I checked online, I wasn't the only one with this issue. There are several hundreds of people with this issue. I called Acura and they did not take responsibility for a defective part. I have a master's degree in manufacturing systems engineering from university of Kentucky and a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering. I work with plastic & steel components with design and manufacturing day in day out. I can tell you confidently that it is a 'defective' plastic part. It's not about the money for me, it's the safety concern I have. In case of an accident, I do anticipate the dashboard plastic chips acting as a shrapnel and causing injury to the passenger/driver. I really wish you could do something about this. Appreciate your help. Regards

- Cupertino, CA, USA