NHTSA — Air Bags Problems

2004 Acura TL (Page 4 of 7)

2004 Acura TL seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Acura TL:

2004 Acura TL Owner Comments (Page 4 of 7)

Jan 052011

TL 6-cyl

Airbags are about to blow thru the dash. The airbag light stays on most of the time and the dash is cracking really bad around the dash. The crack started just around the airbag cracking the perfect shape of the airbag. Now it is cracking all around the airbag. Seems as tho the airbags could come out at any time.

- Otto, NC, USA

Mar 172014

TL 6-cyl

The dash has begun to crack and I fear it is going to weaken the dash where my air bags are located, resulting in a deployment.

- Black Mountain , NC, USA

Mar 142013

TL

Dashboard cracked suddenly above the passenger airbag compartment exposing the airbag compartment to the sun through the crack. Dashboard also deformed and appears to be sticking to airbag compartment around the edges on the top. The crack is growing. The crack initially formed suddenly while I was driving, and made a loud clap, which could startle drivers. I am concerned that the air bag could fail due to this defect and further cracks could form suddenly making startling noises while driving.the size of the crack and amount of deformation varies with temperature.

- Carlsbad, CA, USA

Jun 252009

TL 6-cyl

Dash board driver to passenger side many large long cracks. Acura TL owners get no response from Acura motor company on this defect.

- Stockbridge, GA, USA

Dec 032012

TL 6-cyl

Crack on dashboard on passenger side airbag. There has been no accident. Dealer will not fix it as there is no warranty left.

- Graham, NC, USA

Apr 242013

TL 6-cyl

I was driving down the road when the passenger side dashboard cracked about 12 inches. The crack goes up right between the passenger airbag. For this reason alone this should be a recall. It makes my car look terrible. I hate when people see the crack. They always say "I thought these Acura's were nice". I'm afraid to let anyone ride in the front seat in case of airbag failure.

- Taylorsville, NC, USA

Nov 152011

TL

The dashboard of my car started cracking around November of 2011, it is now completely covered in large cracks, including one right over the center of the passenger side air bag. My main concern is the fact that the dash is obviously not structurally sound, therefore in the event that the passenger airbag deploys pieces of dash will become sharp projectiles flying through the car.

- Massapequa, NY, USA

Aug 012011

TL

In the month of August of 2011, my 2004 Acura TL started a minor 2 inch long crack on the passenger's side near the frontal airbag deployment area. The following day the crack expanded to over 6 inches. During the next few months the crack multiplied into several cracks along the entire dashboard. At the time of the dashboard cracking, the airbag warning light illuminated on the dashboard. My local mechanic ran diagnostics and nothing came back that was out-of-the-ordinary. I believe the dashboard is an ingredient in the airbag light because the airbags are internally located within the dashboard. Acura has admitted their fault in the improper materials used in the 3rd generation Acura Tls (2004-2008), but decline to replace the dashboards out of good will.

- Bradenton, FL, USA

Apr 012012

TL 6-cyl

Dashboard is cracking on its own, not due to normal wear and tear. Cracks are over the passenger side airbag and other parts of dashboard.

- Oviedo, FL, USA

Sep 012013

TL

I have a long 5 inch crack on my dashboard that covers the airbag. It appeared out of no where and that is a well known issue that Acura is aware of but doesn't recall. It will get worse and im afraid it will affect the ability of the airbag deploying properly.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Sep 302010

TL

Cracks developed on dash board. Small at first but have grown over the past 2 years. I thought it was just a cosmetic problem but have read recently that this could be a safety issue with the airbags not deploying. Acura refuses to fix or remedy the problem even though I have provided appropriate care and maintenance over the years.

- Hampstead, NC, USA

Oct 022012

TL 6-cyl

My dashboard has developed several cracks. I feel that is unsafe since it has a crack on the passenger side over the air bag. Acura needs to do something about it. Cause it's several Acura TL with the same problem not just mine. I'm a very upset owner. A great engine but low quality interior since my seats have also torn.

- North Hills, CA, USA

May 072013

TL

Dashboard has cracked directly over the passenger side airbag. Car is stored in a garage daily and out of excessive heat/cold year round. Steering wheel cover over the driver's side airbag also has cracked. Both cracks show visible outline of the airbags. Addressed the steering wheel crack with the fairfield, ca dealership where car was purchased and was told that I needed to have the airbag replaced at a cost of $1,500 dollars. The issue was part of the airbag housing. If that's the case, wouldn't this be a safety issue and not cosmetic" especially because both cracks are directly over the airbags"

- Napa, CA, USA

Mar 252013

TL

The dashboard is cracking severely on the passenger side of the vehicle. The cracks are expanding rapidly, and it looks like an outline of the airbag compartment. I'm afraid that the airbag will deploy accidentally, and/or that the pieces of the dashboard will injure someone riding on the passenger side of the front seat during an airbag deployment. My wife is scared to ride in the car now.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jul 022012

TL 6-cyl

My 2004 Acura TL has a few large cracks on tha dash/instrument panel. I am the second owner that has been garage kept and very well maintained. I do not understand that a luxury car would have such a defect that may produce serious injuries on our children or spouses. Acurazine.com, facebook, twitter and a Georgia news reporter has hundreds of complaints and picturs of this deect and have been told that it is not a problem by dealships. Please make a recall for this defective dash!!!!

- Bartlett, TN, USA

Dec 102012

TL

The entire dash of my Acura has cracked and the cracks are everywhere. Over the air bags, near the air bags....everywhere!! what is going on!?

- Houston, TX, USA

May 042012

TL 6-cyl

I noticed a couple of cracks on my dash. Since I noticed them there had become additional cracks. After doing research I discovered this is a very common problem for this make and model and the cracks occur in the same spots. The biggest concern if the crack over the passenger side airbag.

- Benton, AR, USA

Jan 052011

TL 6-cyl

There was no accident or incident. I have complained about this to you over a year ago and nothing was ever resolved! our dash is cracking only where both air bags are on both the driver and passenger dash! this was not cased by anything but the manufacture. We really would like to see a recall on this. We have a 03 and 04 Acura TL. The 03 has a recall on the air bags and it doesn't even show any signs of damage. The 04 needs a recall before our airbags come out on us driving down the road, then we will sue Acura! I have pictures if you need them!

- Otto, NC, USA

Oct 012009

Cracking dashboard.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Oct 122011

TL

The dash board has cracked in multiple places over the passenger air bag. If the air bag was to deploy in an accident it would shoot sharp edged pieces of plastic at the passengers resulting in injury or death. It is happening to every 2004-2008 Acura TL. Something needs to be done. Some Acura dealers are covering some of the cost but it should be a recall for consumers safety. My wife will not ride in the car and will not allow our children as well. So I have a $50,000 luxury sedan that is useless. Please help us Acura owners. Thank you

- Ama, LA, USA