NHTSA — Tires Problems

2004 Acura TL (Page 1 of 2)

2004 Acura TL wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Acura TL:

2004 Acura TL Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Mar 142011

On returning from mpls. To milw. I stopped at a rest stop half way. When continuing the trip I noticed a thumping sound at about 50 mph. I stopped at the nextrest stop and noticed the sidewall of the left front tire was starting to open, exposing the inner wall. I replaced the tire. Two weeks later it happened again on the right front tire when driving on I94 in milwaukee.

- Wauwatosa, WI, USA

Jul 152008

Forty eight days after purchasing a new set of pirelli P6 four season tires P235/45R17 for our 2004 Acura, my husband and I were crossing the chesapeake bay bridge, going approximately 35 miles an hour. About 3/4's of the way across the bridge, we heard a loud bang and the car instantly became more difficult to control. My husband was driving, and as there is no place to stop on the bridge, slowed down to a crawl and continued about a mile until he could safely pull over. There was nothing but the remains of sidewall on the rim. The police officer and the tow truck driver said they'd not seen anything like it but that we were correct in not stopping on the bridge. Upon research, we found that this complaint of a sudden blow-out has come up several times with this particular tire. I am glad that it did not happen at a higher speed or in a situation where the outcome could have been worse. As it was, we were just delayed on our trip by a few hours. Fortunately, the store where we purchased the tires a few weeks before (at almost $900) replaced all four tires with yokohama, the brand that is original to our car. The car is dealer maintained and I am careful to check airpressure when I fill up the tank. At any rate, the sudden deflation was extraordinary, and as no other vehicles seemed to be having the problem, I doubt that there was something in the road that caused it. The tires only had 2,000 miles on them, and they had a 60,000 mile warranty. This was not a unique experience and I would hope that a recall is forthcoming before someone gets hurt or worse.

- Ellicott City, MD, USA

Aug 092008

The contact owns a 2004 Acura TL. The vehicle has Goodyear Eagle tires. The contact stated that there was a tsb number 05-076 that was issued by Acura. The tsb pertains to tire wear when the vehicle is loaded. The contact purchased brand new tires in December of 2007. He took a road trip with 5,000 miles on the tires. The trip was 5,600 miles. While driving 75 mph, he noticed that the tires were bald a couple of days ago. He called the Acura dealer and informed them of the failure. The dealer stated that they would repair the tires with the towing issue and the tsb, but would not replace the tires. The tires are both on the rear of the vehicle. The tire size was unknown. The failure mileage was 29,000. Updated 09/10/08 the consumer didn't believe the problem was with the tires. He believed it had to do with the poor design of the vehicle. The consumer stated there was extra weight in the rear of the vehicle, in his case was about 300lbs comprised of suitcases and his daughter in the back seat (the suitcases were in the trunk). When he arrived home, he noticed the tread on the tires had worn down to nothing. Updated 09/10/08

- Manassas, VA, USA

Jan 182007

TL 6-cyl

- the contact stated that when the 2004 Acura TL, was at the dealership on 01/18/07 for regular maintenance she was informed by the service mechanic that the 2 rear tiresprematurely wear wore out. The contact stated that NHTSA has a service bulletin #05076. The contact stated that the mechanic informed her that it was best to purchase 4 new tires instead of replacing the 2 back tires. The contact stated that these tires came with the vehicle with dot# 0B6ntu22404 and size P235/45R17 radial. The contact felt that this was manufacturing issue and the manufacturer should recall these tires. The dealership informed her that she has to pay 75% of tire replacement as per the dealership tire chart, Honda will pay remaining 25%. the contact stated that this is a public safety issue and the tires could explode anytime and it is not the fault of the owner. Updated 03/30/07.

- Cerritos, CA, USA

Dec 212006

TL 6-cyl

Complete failure of right rear tire purchased new in a set of four approximately one month before (November 16, 2006). Tire failure occurred while driving at approximately 70 mph. Failed tire flew off rim (wheel) causing car to be nearly uncontrollable and causing damage to the front rim (wheel) and tire on the right side of the car.

- Foster City, CA, USA

Mar 012005

TL 6-cyl

: the contact stated the original rear tires were replaced at 15,000 miles due to baldness two-thirds from the outside to the inside. The tires were replaced by the dealership. The tires are Bridgestone turanza P23545R17.

- Lebanon, OH, USA

Feb 032006

: the contact stated while driving 65 mph, the sidewall separated from the tread on the front passenger tire. The contact then noticed a two inch crack on the driver side front tire. The vehicle was taken to the dealership and it was determined these were rated for 25,000 miles. The vehicle had 27,200 miles at time of failure. The tire line is 92354517el42.

- Salisbury, MD, USA

Jan 142006

This complaint refers to the original equipment tires (Bridgestone el-42, 235/45-17 93W ) supplied on the 2004 Acura TL with 6 speed manual transmission. After just a short time I have found this tire to be entirely unsafe and unsuitable to this vehicle. I believe that both Acura and Bridgestone should be held responsible for replacing this tire on all existing vehicles. This tire exhibits unsafe characteristics in wet weather, with noticeable drift and hydroplaning in any amount of standing water, even as little as 1/16 inch. In heavy rains, even with no standing water present, the tire seems incapable of dispersing water as quickly as it falls, again leading to vehicle instability. From a ride quality point of view the tire is also unsatisfactory in that it flat spots every morning, especially in cool weather but even in warmer weather as well, leading to vibrations in the initial miles of any drive. It is also especially harsh over roadway expansion joints, and is so loud on concrete pavements that it poses a safety hazard due to driver fatigue induced by the continuous noise. I also understand that there may be an issue regarding the rating as an "all season tire" with many owners reporting that this tire is virtually useless in any kind of snow conditions.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Nov 262005

Bridgestone turanza E42 oem tire on 2004 Acura TL have flat spotting issues and were worn out after 15,000 miles. Very poor traction in rain and snow for an all season touring tire. Acura and Bridgestone should recall and replace these tires.

- Salem, NH, USA

Jun 302004

TL 6-cyl

The contact stated when hitting a bump the rear end the vehicle skidded out. Causing abnormal tire wear. He replaced the rear tires twice, every 7,000-8,000 miles. The vehicle has been taken to two different dealerships, and they were unable to diagnose the problem. Updated 12/7/2005. The consumer's vehicle is now on it's third set of tires. The dealer stated that since the rear tire were worn evenly that alignment was not the problem.

- Stamford, CT, USA

Oct 112005

TL 6-cyl

My 2004 Acura 3.2 TL uses Bridgestone turanza EL42 tires (235/45R17), w speed-rated. The el 42 tires had a so called "flat spot" problem and they were worn out only at 15,500 mile. There has been many complaints about this type of tires on the internet. Many of them mentioned that "flat spot" problem could become a safety issue.

- Rosemead, CA, USA

Sep 122005

I have called the Acura customer service number and did not get through with anyone. My 2004 Acura TL has a consistent vibration problem when the car is running between 50 and 60 mph. The vibration seems to come from the front of the car. I reported the problem to the Acura dealer and they have assured me the problem was with the tires. I also had a second opinion from another dealership whom also assured me the problem are the tires. I find that this is a very common issue with the Bridgestone tires, and I feel that these tires are unsafe and Acura/bridegstone should recall and replace these tires. The consumers should not have to pay to replace these tires. My car has about 10,000 miles and this is a real problem for consumers who just purchased a brand new vehicle to have to worry about tires, which I feel may have a design or manufacturing defect causing a vibration in the car. This may lead to accidents and I also know that there are many other 2004 Acura owners complaining about the same problem. I hope this problem gets resolved as soon as possible.

- Rosedale, NY, USA

Aug 142004

TL 6-cyl

In my opinion the manufacturer is knowingly was selling the 2004 Acura TL with the Bridgestone/Firestone el-42 tires knowing that these tires had a design or manufacturing defect causing them to flat spot without warning the buyer first about the problem. Not only this is deceptive and in my opinion violates implied warrantly but it was dangerous as it forced us to drive the car at slow speeds because of the vibration in high speed roads.

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

May 012005

TL 6-cyl

Oem tires (Bridgestone EL42) completely worn out after 10,000 miles. From very beginning, "all season" tires would routinely hydroplane at speeds as low as 40mph and were unusable in the snow.

- Wexford, PA, USA

Apr 222005

TL 6-cyl

My 2004tl came with Bridgestone turanza el-42 tires. The dealer stated tires would be acceptable when I stated concerns with what I had read about flat spotting. On my first long distance trip (500+ miles) my front passenger tire blew off the rim. I had to have it replaced at procter Acura in tallahassee which in formed me to take tire to a tire manufacturer since it is warrantied thru its manufactururer. As of this date nothing has been done. I bought a new tire ($225) and am waiting to hear what else Bridgestone will do to compensate me.

- Davie, FL, USA

Feb 192005

During light rain my 2004 Acura TL with Bridgestone turanza el-42 tires hydroplaned and lost control. It hit the center divider and spun and ended up on the right shoulder. The front left wheel broke off. Fortunetly my car or the broken wheel did not hit another car. There were quite a few cars on the freeway all at normal freeway speed. I was actually following my wifes 2003 Honda Accord LX in the same lane at the time of the accident. I have filed a complaint with Acura (800) 382-2238 and my case # B012005-02-2300320. So far the complaint has accomplished nothing for me.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Jan 022005

TL 6-cyl

I own a 2004 Acura TL with original equipment Bridgestone el-42 tires. While the tire preformed acceptably during the summer the preformance on wet roads and particulary in snow and ice was absolutly terrible. My family and I took a 500 mile trip in Michigan over the christmas holidays and I almost had to park the car and get a rental to get home. I replaced the tires 2 days after getting home. The tires had only 12K miles on therm.

- Dearborn, MI, USA

Nov 232004

TL 6-cyl

Brand new Acura TL 2004 (vibration )Bridgestone teranza tires EL42 flat spotting. Acura national customer service notified, has had several complaints fail to do anything. Many users complaining see new model 2005 no longer uses Bridgestone changed to michelins. Dealer no help.

- Boynton Beach, FL, USA

Aug 262004

TL 6-cyl

Due to vibration dealer dealer balanced tires on 7/21/04. Vibration did not go away. Dealer replaced all 4 tires on 8/26/04. Vibration continued.

- Callahan, FL, USA

Feb 082004

TL 6-cyl

The vibration in the Bridgestone EL42 turanza tires on 2004 Acura TL resulted in accident in February 2004 and $1500 worth of undercarriage damage. Flatspotting and vibration in tires caused loss of control of the vehicle when attempting to stop the vehicle in inclement weather. Flatspotting and vibration started 1 week after purchase of vehicle. Have documentation of numerous attempts to get the problem resolved by dealer, but dealer was complacent in dealing with the issue thus resulting in the aformentioned accident. Loss of control caused vehicle to end up in oncoming traffic lane almost resulting in head on collision. Car slid into curb causing the 1500 damage. Tires have been replaced with Michelin Pilot sport tires. America Honda/Acura and Bridgestone needs to be held accountable for their complacency in dealing with this issue. Please investigate quickly as lives can be at stake.

- Scotch Plains, NJ, USA