NHTSA — Structure Problems

2005 Acura TL (Page 4 of 6)

2.0

2005 Acura TL body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Acura TL:

2005 Acura TL Owner Comments (Page 4 of 6)

Oct 012010

TL 6-cyl

My 2005 Acura TL has multiple cracks on the dashboard. In addition to the fact that it is extremely unsightly, I am concerned about what effect this will have if the airbags ever deploy. When I did a search on the internet, I found that this seems to be a fairly common problem for the '04 - '05 years, particularly in southern states.

- Hobe Souind, FL, USA

Dec 162011

TL 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Acura TL. The contact stated that the dashboard material was severely cracked at the windshield area and the passenger side air bag. The dealer was contacted and advised that they would contact the manufacturer for further assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the current mileage was 70,000. Updated 03/16/12

- Honolulu, HI, USA

Dec 152011

TL 6-cyl

My Acura 2005 TL formed giant cracks in the dashboard overnight. I am worried about the safety of the airbags due to these cracks, my research has shown that others have experienced this same problem and that the cracks only get worse and appear above the passenger side airbag if the dash is not replaced. Please see the facebook page devoted to this problem (photos included): Https://www.facebook.com/acuratldefectivedash?sk=wall&filter=1 Acura is not recognizing this a potential safety defect. I think they need to take responsibility for this defect and make an official recall and replace this for free. If anything happens to any of my passengers due to the cracks in my dashboard I am holding Acura responsible for their care.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Aug 172011

TL 6-cyl

I own a 2005 Acura TL and noticed a small crack in my dashboard about eight months ago. I took it to the dealership because my airbag light was on and they told me it was just a cosmetic defect and there was nothing they could do about it. Now over the past month there are cracks everywhere and Acura still won't help because it's not under warranty. I am very concerned because I'm not sure if my airbags will work if needed and I'm also concerned that they could possibly deploy while I'm driving. This is a safety issue because I'm not protected from an accident and this defect could also cause an accident, causing serious harm to me and my family.

- Lisle, IL, USA

May 122010

TL 6-cyl

My dashboard is crack right through the passenger airbag. If it deploys, I'm worried that pieces from the dashboard will injure somebody.

- Garner, NC, USA

Oct 172011

TL

I have cracks all over my dashboard. Acura does not seem to care about the issue. There are many many Acura TL owners out there having the same issue with the crack dash boad.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

May 022011

TL 6-cyl

Dashboard has several cracks in about 9 different places. Car is garage kept and Acura has offered a goodwill offer which is minimal in the cost to have the dashboard replaced. This leads to safety concerns with the passenger airbags.

- Tomball, TX, USA

May 262011

TL

My dashboard started to crash all over a few months ago. I'm using a shade, and use protection often and the problem is getting worst. I think that the dash board was poorly made. I'm very upset because I spend alot of money on this car.

- Apopka, FL, USA

Sep 012010

TL

Crack started on passenger airbag in the dashboard. Now it has spread all throughout the dash and I am concerned with the safety of the car due to the cracks which have formed along the airbag. Have done research and it seems that it is a fairly common problem among this model car.

- Miami, FL, USA

Aug 012011

TL

The contact owns a 2005 Acura TL. The contact stated that the dashboard was fractured and the airbag warning light was illuminated. The dealer and manufacturer were contacted but provided no assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure was mileage was 60,000 and the current mileage was 60,100.

- Canton, GA, USA

Sep 012011

TL 6-cyl

2005 Acura TL. Consumer writes in regards to dashboard split repairs the consumer stated there are seven jagged cracks; starting with the most severe which are over the passenger airbag and ending at the instrument panel.

- Palm Coast, FL, USA

Apr 042011

TL 6-cyl

I have a 2005 Acura TL, and the dash has cracked in multiple places, including areas around the airbag. This concerns me for my safety and I know this is a well known issue with no solution as of yet. I dont see how there hasnt been a recall on a part that is known to be defective and also very dangerous if the airbags ever deployed...

- Naples, FL, USA

Jun 052011

TL

2005 Acura TL base navigation dashboard cracking on passenger side and in speaker area. Car has 88000 miles on it and this is not the quality I expect from Acura being a loyal customer for years. Possible safety hazard to passenger if airbag were to deploy.

- Crestview, FL, USA

Jul 142011

TL

The contact owns a 2005 Acura TL. The contact stated there was a crack in the dashboard on the passenger side of the vehicle. The dealer stated in order to repair the failure, the dashboard assembly had to be replaced. The manufacturer was not notified. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 94,900 and the current mileage was 95,000.

- Louieville, KY, USA

Nov 232010

TL 6-cyl

My 2005 Acura TL is experiencing extreme cracking in the dash. The cracks are criss crossing over my passengers side airbag. I am afraid that the airbag will not work, prematurely deploy, or send bits and pieces of my dash flying at me if it did deploy correctly during a crash. This is a huge safety concern for me everytime I start my car and drive an hour to work and back each day.

- Lawton, OK, USA

Jun 032011

TL

The contact owns a 2005 Acura TL. The contact stated that there was a crack, two feet long, in the dashboard directly over the passenger side air bag. As a result, the air bag light would intermittently illuminate. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the contact was informed that the crack would not cause any issues. The manufacturer stated that the dashboard was not covered under warranty. The failure mileage was 52,000 and the current mileage was 57,000. The VIN was not available.

- Metairie, LA, USA

Feb 102011

TL

I have a 2005 Acura TL, and the dash has cracked in multiple places, including areas around the airbag. This concerns me for my safety and I know this is a well known issue with no solution as of yet. I don't see how there hasn't been a recall on a part that is known to be defective and also very dangerous if the airbags ever deployed...

- St. Petersburg, FL, USA

Feb 012011

TL

I own a 2005 Acura TL with a cracked dashboard. It appears that the dashboard has become brittle and is cracking near the airbag location. I fear this could lead to a problem with either airbag deployment or shards of dashboard being hurled in the event of deployment. This issue seems to be affecting almost every 04-05 Acura TL owner. Yet Acura refuses to correct the problem. It's only solution is to charge owners $2,000 to replace the dash. As a side note, my car has always been parked indoors at home or in covered parking at my work. I avoid it being out in the sun and on the few times I have had to park in the sun I use a reflective sun shade and vent windows.

- Keller, TX, USA

Jun 192011

TL 6-cyl

2005, 78,000 Acura TL (garage kept) cracks on dash above the instrument cluster and passenger side in middle. These cracks start from the window and end on the glove box and instrument cluster. What will happen when air bag deploys" I am afraid of when the air bag deploys that the dash will separate into several shards of plastic and imbed in face, upper-body of driver and passenger. Worst-case scenario is that the air bag will be defected, as the dash-console structure has been compromised. I have read numerous complaints and viewed pictures of the exact same defect online. What will it take Acura to recognize that there is a problem with this dash does someone have to be hurt or worse die"

- Mulberry , FL, USA

May 012011

TL 6-cyl

2 large cracks in dashboard directly over passenger airbag. Car is 6 years old and garage kept. Has only 46,000 miles. Acura builds airbag into the dash and that's exactly where the cracks are forming. Airbag light goes on and off. Worried that airbag can not possibly function as intended with these cracks. Dangerous and based on the number of complains Acura knows about it and won't do anything. At the very least they are using poor quality materials in their "luxury" cars.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA