NHTSA — Structure: Body Problems

2005 Acura TL (Page 1 of 2)

1.6

2005 Acura TL body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Acura TL:

2005 Acura TL Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 012016

TL

Dashboard is cracked in two places. One crack is right above the airbag. Not sure if it could cause the airbag to deploy? I have read that this is a problem with a lot of Acura.

- Fairfield, CA, USA

Jul 222015

TL

The contact owns a 2005 Acura TL. The contact stated that the dashboard was cracked on the passenger side. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was not diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle was later taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the dashboard needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 125,000.

- Pinehurst, NC, USA

Jul 012014

TL

I have a 2005 acuratl in good condition. Last year, a long crack appeared on my passenger side dashboard. A week later a second long crack appeared parallel to the first crack. Lastly, about a month ago a third crack appeared making a horizontal line between the first and second crack. It is very noticeable. A security guard once asked me, what model was my car. He replied, that it is a defect with the 2005 Acura TL's. his and his friend's car did the same thing, he said. I began to research online. I found many forums and blogs of people complaining of this same issue. I contacted Acura and of course they claim no liability because of the car's age or mileage. I have read that this a safety issue with the passenger side airbag....updated 09/28/15

- Jackson, MS, USA

Jun 012011

TL 6-cyl

The dash board in my vehicle began to crack over the passenger side air bag and it has me concerned that the air bag may not deploy towards the passenger and may deploy upwards toward the windshield instead and not protect the passenger. This is a known problem with these model cars and Acura refuses to fix this defect. Does someone have to lose their life due to this defect before Acura acknowledges there is a defect and a problem?

- Hanahan, SC, USA

Mar 192015

TL 6-cyl

I got into my car this morning at 10:15 am to go to work and noticed that the dash going from the vent by my windshield to the center speaker in the front middle of the dash. It also travels along the crease of my gauge hood as well. My SRS light was on shortly prior to this incident and am curious if this is for some reason the cause. I was not involved in any sort of accident, nor do I drive in any manner to have caused something like this to happen. I did drive the car yesterday, 3/18/15, in the morning and there was no damage like this what so ever. I also had taken the car in to the mechanic and they said that they could not find the source of what was causing the SRS light to be on. My car is a decade old, but I condition it and take care of the entire vehicle, so laziness or "sun damage" is not the issue. I am very upset that something like this is happening considering that the leather interior in these cars seem to be very low quality and are tearing apart! multiple consumers also have the same issues that I am having and I too agree that a recall should be issued for multiple defects that this specific year and model vehicles seem to be having.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Sep 032013

TL

I purchased this vehicle from montauk auto dealer on linden blvd queens NY on August 2 2 weeks after that driving to work my brakes fail I got it fix a week after that the car started shaking on the freeway I stop got out the freeway N took it to a shop the steering mechanism is no good can't afford to fix it is $1600 to fix it so I had it balanced and tied down only to find out there's also frame damage also they sold me the car for $7500 2 months after that they sent me a letter charging me $13500 for the car and they never told me about the damage to the car I need serious help please help me with this issue.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Aug 012014

TL 6-cyl

My leather dashboard on the inside of my car has about 3 crack lines. The cracks also run on top of the area where the airbag pops out. This is a major safety concern for me along with many other people that have the same problem. I have never seen this condition on any car, and would expect not to see it on such a high end vehicle like my Acura TL. The dashboard should not be cracking at all. This should be an automatic recall item, especially because of the safety concerns. Please address this promptly. It is a shame that the dealerships say that this is natural wear and tear. If there is a airbag underneath it, the item should be recalled. Looking at older complaints on same issue, Acura where helping but my car is 10 years old and they don't help, this just happened which I think they should still support, the airbags may or may not deploy.. is this a safety issues, Acura charge $1800 to replace but at our cost the dealership want me to pay $700 and they will take the rest as they are aware of this issue. I don't think I should pay.

- Suwanee, GA, USA

Oct 242013

TL 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Acura TL. The contact noticed that the dashboard had two cracks in it. One of the cracks were above the air bag and the other was above the steering column. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection and they stated the dashboard needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 130,000.

- Williamsburg, VA, USA

Aug 092013

TL

The contact owns a 2005 Acura TL. The contact stated that there was a crack on the dashboard above the passenger's side air bag area. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection where they stated that the dashboard needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 150,000 the VIN was unavailable.

- Stockbridge, GA, USA

Jul 102013

TL

The contact owns a 2005 Acura TL. The contact stated there were approximately six cracks across the dashboard of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 65,000.

- High Point , NC, USA

Mar 012013

TL

My cars dashboard started cracking from the windshield to the front of the dashboard on the passenger side. The crack goes down the side of where the airbag deploys. Now my dashboard is riddled with cracks and Acura states that it is environmental and I should not fear the airbag deploying due to the cracks. I'm not alone as I have read countless stories similar to mine. I think it's time that Acura steps up and handles their defective design.

- Nwport News, VA, USA

Dec 132013

TL

The contact owns a 2005 Acura TL. The contact stated that the dashboard was cracked near the air bag area. The contact was concerned of possible erroneous air bag deployment. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 74,000.

- Barberton, OH, USA

Aug 022013

TL

The contact owns a 2005 Acura TL. The contact stated that there were two cracks on the dashboard near the passenger and driver's side air bag housing. In addition, a four inch crack was in the center of the dashboard. The air bag warning indicator illuminated intermittently whenever the contact was driving. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 93,000.

- Allan, TX, USA

Feb 142013

TL 6-cyl

Multiple cracks large and small suddenly appeared in the dashboard. The affected parts section would not allow me to enter dashboard as the issue, therefore I put body.

- Clayton, LA, USA

Dec 102012

TL 6-cyl

The dash on my 2005 Acura TL started cracking very severely-I currently have 4 sizeable cracks. I have never seen this on a car prior in my 25 years of owning them. I fear for my safety as I wonder how these cracks impact my air bags.

- Austin, TX, USA

Oct 122012

TL 6-cyl

I have a 2005 Acura TL and yesterday I noticed a crack in the dashboard on the passenger side. I googled it and discovered several people having the same issue. Someone posted a link to this site so here I am. Can we get this recalled please? it's not very attractive. For the price I paid for this car I shouldn't have to worry about this happening.

- Lake Charles, LA, USA

Jan 212012

TL

The contact owns a 2005 Acura TL. While parked, the contact noticed large cracks along the passenger's side dashboard where the air bag was located. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing or repairs. The approximate failure mileage was 96,000.

- Miami, FL, USA

Aug 012011

TL

The contact owns a 2005 Acura TL. The contact was driving 65 mph when he noticed that the dashboard was cracked. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was notified. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 18,000 and the current mileage was 19,000.

- Tomball, TX, USA

Aug 012011

TL

The contact owns a 2005 Acura TL. The contact stated that the dashboard was cracked between the driver and passenger sides. The contact also stated that the dashboard region surrounding the front passenger air bag was severely cracked. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer but no assistance was provided. The contact was informed that the failure occurred due to heat exposure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Miami, FL, USA

Aug 152011

TL

The contact owns a 2005 Acura TL. The contact stated that the dashboard was cracked entirely. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who advised that there were no recalls for the failure. The dealer also advised that they would not notify the manufacturer to get a good will favor to repair the failure. The manufacturer was notified by the contact who advised that the dashboard was not a defect and that the repairs would be at the owners expense. The failure mileage was 97,000.

- Jonesboro, GA, USA