NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2005 Acura TL electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Acura TL:

2005 Acura TL Owner Comments

Apr 012015

I have. Noticed large cracks on top of the dash, some where my airbags are. What if the deploy? these cracks came out of nowhere and I feel they are hazardous to my airbags if they deploy

- Wilmer, TX, USA

May 092016

Purchased new, since 2005 the vehicle has had a parasitic battery drain which causes the vehicle not to start. Over 10 batteries have been replaced by Acura dealerships or aaa. I was told by former certified Acura service representative that this problem is with the vehicles hands free system control module. Acura has known, internet research, and my conversation on this date 5/9/2016 with an Acura customer representative confirmed that Acura has known about this problem since 2004. This is a serious problem which can cause the vehicle to stop moving resulting in loss of power steering, control, or potential serious accident. Another serious factor is that there is no warning sign when the vehicle battery will fail. In the event that the battery fails with out any warning whatsoever in an extreme cold, heavy rainfall, flood conditions could possible result in loss of life. Think of the possibilities with children in the vehicle. Common sense dictates that my complaint and all others who have taken time to file complaints regarding this serious problem should result in a NHTSA recall. The people of the world who buy vehicles don't need bad takata inflators or bad ignition switches.what we need is a NHTSA which will responsibly enforce all automobile manufactures to provide quality vehicles that have the best safety features.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Dec 112014

TL 6-cyl

The car is been sitting for about 4 days and the battery is dead again. This has been the issue since I bought the car. It was taken to the dealer when this first happened and I was assured that the problem has been fixed. However, over the years I have replaced numerous batteries. Internet research proved that the problem is with hands free system and Acura knows about the problem for long but has done nothing to fix it.

- Montclair, CA, USA

Nov 102014

• 1,010,000 miles

Found a crack on the driver side dashboard over the odometer. Car was parked was never been in an accident before.

- Lancaster, PA, USA

Jan 012011

TL 6-cyl

My issues with my car started about 3 years ago. I have had to replace the power steering rack and pump after the Acura recalled the hoses, but I was told that the hoses had nothing to do with my issue. I have had to replace the starter, the headlight computer unit, and both ignitors in the headlight. I am on my third battery in 2 years and no one can tell me why my battery is continuously dying. About two years ago, the bluetooth system all of a sudden stopped working. In the last year, my dashboard has started to crack from the driver to the passenger side, and the damage is much severe and prominent over the air bag area. I was told by Acura support that it should not cause any problems to the air bag, and the air bag should deploy appropriately with no problems. Prior to me purchasing my so-called "luxury" Acura, I had a 2000 Honda civic, and I never had any major issues with it. Thinking that I purchase an Acura, and it was the worst mistake I've made in my life. I have advised all my family and friends not to purchase an Acura because the quality sucks and it is a waste of your money due to all the money you have to put in for the repairs. In the past couple of months, I've spent almost $4000 on repairs for simple things like headlight issues and sensors. I spoke with Acura customer care about assistance with repairing my dashboard and I was offer a 50% discount based on their criteria which I believe are ridiculous. One of the criteria that they look at is to see have you been a loyal customer as far as maintenance and repairs are concerned. I informed the guy that the nearest Acura dealership is an hour and half away from my home, and it made no sense for my to drive the distance for an oil change. Completely fed up with Acura!!

- Lake City, FL, USA

Apr 262013

The contact owns a 2005 Acura TL. The contact stated that while driving approximately 5 mph, the engine stalled and restarted a few moments later. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the fuel pump fuse was replaced. In addition, the electrical fuse box was replaced by the dealer. After the repair was performed, smoke emitted from the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer for the second time where the wiring harness was replaced. There were two recalls under NHTSA campaign id numbers 07V097000 (fuel system, gasoline) and 05V132000 (electrical system) however, the contact's the VIN was not included in either recalls. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 117,000.

- Yonkers, NY, USA

Mar 142012

TL 6-cyl

The hands free link (hfl) modules have been failing resulting in a 200ma current drain. This results in the module shorting out and may subsequently result in a fire. I discovered this as a result of the battery draining to 5 volts overnight as well as a much high than normal temperature of the plastic cover under the hfl module. I removed the module according to Acura service bulletin 05-020 dated September 23, 2005.

- Novi, MI, USA

Aug 012010

Like others here my airbag in the passenger dash is cracked in a ring and I fear the airbag will malfunction, in addition if it doesn't malfunction, and deploys the plastic will be propelled with great force by the deplosion of airbag causing serious injury. I survived the failed transmissions, with numerous lock ups at highway speeds that caused a crash with injuries. I don't understand why Acura and Honda have not taken these warnings seriously, its obvious the safety risk, please stop playing with our lives and fix this problem. I also have a whine in my steering and replaced the power steering pump completely, it stills whines and is now leaking steering fluid and fumes coming into car and my wiper water quit spraying on my windshield. This is too much for a higher model car that cost a lot of money. Oh and I have replaced my tires so many times due to the treat wearing off like every 20K miles!

- Hernando, FL, USA

Mar 072010

TL 6-cyl

2005 Acura TL. Consumer states possible electronic interference between a cell phone and the car's electronic control due to an incident while backing up. The consumer stated while trying to back into a tight parking space, he had his cell phone on the transmission lever over the metal top cover, possibly acting like an antenna. When he attempting to park, he went in the rear direction first, then went forward and backward again. When he placed the gear into reverse, the engine's RPM revved to maybe 4,000-5,000, then a strange noise occurred. The consumer turned the vehicle off then on again and the engine raced again. He picked up his cell phone and turned it off and placed it in the glove compartment and then the engine went back to normal.

- Burke, VA, USA

Jan 042007

2005 Acura TL..battery needed replaced twice and vehicle only has 60K miles.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jul 012009

2005 Acura TL battery dies unexpected leaving motorist stranded, 2nd battery in 4 years. Possible cause is hands free phone link does not release. Numerous reports of this battery dieing problem on internet forums.

- Madison, AL, USA

Jan 012008

The contact owns a 2005 Acura TL. Immediately after the vehicle was purchased in November of 2007, it began idling roughly and the engine vibrated. A few months later, while driving approximately 60-65 mph, the vehicle stalled and would not restart. Approximately 15 minutes later, the vehicle restarted and the contact drove to his residence. Later that week, the vehicle was driven to the dealer for a diagnostic and they stated that the failure was due to build up in the fuel injector. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact also noticed that the vehicle would crank slowly in the mornings. He returned the vehicle to the dealer and they stated that the battery was defective. The battery was replaced; however, the failures persisted. The oxygen sensor, fuel ratio sensor, and the alternator belt were all replaced. After the most recent repairs, the vehicle stalled again and has not been repaired since. The VIN was unknown. The current mileage was 41,000 and failure mileage was 37,000. Remailed 12/05/08

- San Francisco, CA, USA