NHTSA — Unknown Or Other Problems

2005 Acura TL (Page 1 of 2)

2005 Acura TL miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Acura TL:

2005 Acura TL Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 282016

Both front seats and the dashboard are extremely full of cracks for a vehicle with such low mileage and always well taken care of.

- Kearny, NJ, USA

Jun 022016

Dashboard crack and air bag signal show.

- Westlake Village, CA, USA

Sep 162016

The rear view mirror in my Acura TL 2005 suddenly became hazy and started leaking a black / dark green fluid which produced a chemical taste in my mouth an a slight sore throat. I'm concerned the dripping liquid is toxic and harmful to passengers in addition to the loss of visibility. This does not fall in the category of a wear out item and it should not harm individuals in the process. My car was stationary when I noticed the initial liquid at the bottom of my mirror.

- Cranston, RI, USA

Apr 182016

My dash board crack with not reason right in the medium

- Reston, VA, USA

Jun 012016

My 2005 Acura TL is developing cracks in the dashboard. One of the cracks of major concern is the one that is forming along the right-hand side of the passenger airbag. I am afraid that the crack will cause the airbag to malfunction! the bag may deploy suddenly while driving, it may deploy upwards rather than forwards; it may cause the dash to crack further and spray the passenger compartment with dash shrapnel, or the cracks themselves my puncture the airbag - each causing a great safety concern including death or severe injury. The airbag light started to appear intermittently after the cracked formed around the airbag. I am afraid to fill the crack as that may also affect the airbag and safety of the vehicle. This problem is so widespread that social media groups have been formed - such as on facebook ( ). it seems to affect many of the Acura TL models 2004-2008. The company should take responsibility and create a recall due to safety concerns for their passengers.

- Montgomery, AL, USA

Jun 012016

Dashboard is cracked in two places. One crack is right above the airbag. Not sure if it could cause the airbag to deploy? I have read that this is a problem with a lot of Acura.

- Fairfield, CA, USA

Jul 022016

A year ago my dashboard began to crack for no apparent reason, last week my airbag light went on and stays on. Research show that a large number of people have the same problem.

- New Freedom, PA, USA

Aug 102015

My 2005 Acura TL has developed a significant dashboard crack along the perimeter of the passenger side airbag location. This is a well known issue posted on many internet sites including many reports on facebook community: Https:// additionally, many others have submitted complaints to NHTSA expressing their safety concerns. Since the time of the crack the airbag light will alarm. The dashboard crack is sharp and jagged edged. If the airbag is deployed the cracked dash will likely interfere in the airbag's trajectory and/or possible gash the airbag. In addition the cracked dash may spray pieces into the occupancy area. I am sure Acura has not tested airbag deployment safety with a crack dashboard. The NHTSA needs to investigate this broad problem on 3rd generation Acura Tls (2004-2008), as Acura will not address or even acknowledge this safety issue. I strongly encourage the NHTSA to follow-thru with an investigation. We do not need anyone being seriously injured due to these crack dashboards undergoing force of an airbag deployment. I am attaching a photo of my cracked dash. Original crack was ~3 inches, now the crack is 8-9". the crack continues to grow which amplifies the safety concerns. Also attaching a photo compiled of other 3rd generation Acura Tls with same issue. Many photos are on the internet.

- Chapel Hill, NC, USA

Mar 012013

Dashboard cracked in several spots. I have read that many complaints has been filed on this particular year, make, and model of car and nothing has been done to resolve this issue.

- Vernon, FL, USA

Oct 012014

Takata airbags? dashboard on passenger side is cracked and has become to increase in size. Fear that this may cause airbag "takata" to explode. Airbag light on driverside randomly comes on and will stay on while driving or parked. Fear that airbag light may be an indicator of front airbags may go wrong. Over time the dashboard cracks have increased in size.

- Ruskin, FL, USA

Oct 012015

Crack has appeared on dashboard passenger side over air bag area. Vehicle was stationary. Safety concern with airbag

- Sarasota, FL, USA

Apr 152016

The dashboard developed 2 long cracks immediately on passenger side over airbag without any sign of them appearing over time. Car has been garage kept and well maintained/clean and all leather/dash/panels routinely moisturized. Car has never been wrecked. Google 2005 Acura TL dashboard and you get numerous complaints about this occurring just over the last 6 months for the same make/model. Not sure if this will affect the airbag deployment or will just be an eyesore. Replacement parts cost approx. $730, not including labor. Contacted Acura but they refuse to replace the dash at their own cost due to vehicle being out of warranty. This needs to be investigated to ensure passengers will be safe and airbag will deploy properly if in an accident.

- Madison, AL, USA

Mar 152016

Major crack all over dash board. Six are on the passenger side of dash directly where air bags are housed above glove compartment, spanning the entire width to the drivers side. Air bag light is on as well. Did some research and discovered it was a very common problem with this model and nothing has been done to fix. The cracks are getting wider with time and have progressed with time.

- Silverdale, WA, USA

Apr 072015

Dashboard cracking.....91,000 miles. Bought new. Garage kept.

- Plano, TX, USA

Jan 012016

The dashboard is cracking. Cracks on the drivers side go from front of the dash near windshield to back near the steering wheel. The car has been garaged and not abused. I am concerned that it may start to crack near the airbag on the passenger side and cause problems.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Oct 012015

The dashboard is cracked, I called Acura client relations reference # 04258828 and they told me the vehicle has exceeded warranty coverage, repair costs are relinquished to the owner. I purchased the vehicle brand new in 2005 and now the mileage is $103000 now. The dashboard crack still continue and will get worse later on. I don't think this should happened to the name brand car Acura ! I did a research on internet and found out so many people had a same problem. And why is no recall " this is to protect vehicle owners safety to safe life if the crack continue on and it will effecting the dashboard airbag ! I never seen this before and very disappointed with Acura. I don't know when this happened, I just noticed last month. Oct 2015" please help thanks,

- Oakland Gardens, NY, USA

Jul 012014

I have a 2005 acuratl in good condition. Last year, a long crack appeared on my passenger side dashboard. A week later a second long crack appeared parallel to the first crack. Lastly, about a month ago a third crack appeared making a horizontal line between the first and second crack. It is very noticeable. A security guard once asked me, what model was my car. He replied, that it is a defect with the 2005 Acura TL's. his and his friend's car did the same thing, he said. I began to research online. I found many forums and blogs of people complaining of this same issue. I contacted Acura and of course they claim no liability because of the car's age or mileage. I have read that this a safety issue with the passenger side airbag....updated 09/28/15

- Jackson, MS, USA

May 202015

I've complained about this for a few months now, this has been worded the best: The dash board in my vehicle began to crack over the passenger side air bag and it has me concerned that the air bag may not deploy towards the passenger and may deploy upwards toward the windshield instead and not protect the passenger. This is a known problem with these model cars and Acura refuses to fix this defect. Does someone have to lose their life due to this defect before Acura acknowledges there is a defect and a problem?

- Stanton, CA, USA

May 172012

Dashboard cracks -noticed small crack in my 2005 TL dashboard over the passenger airbag in May 2012. Overnight it grew from front to back. My car is garaged. Contacted my service advisor by phone and he stated it was cosmetic and due to high heat and high mileage. I stated car was garaged and I owned other cars that were as old and never experience this. He told me cost was $1850 to replace. He said he'd send the complaint to corporate and get back to me. He came back to me and said Acura would pay 75% of cost since I was a good customer. I said that was not acceptable and I would like to talk to regional manager. He said he'd take the request further. In the meantime I noticed another crack. A week later I got a call stating Acura would pay 85% and I'd pay $247 plus tax. I was concerned that the airbag could malfunction and not deploy when in an accident or deploy for no reason. I decided to pay the $247. Dealer stated he would give me a loaner car. Before I brought the car in for repair I noticed two more cracks. My concern is safety for me and my passengers and I did not feel safe with dashboard cracks. This was a design flaw or material defect and Acura should recall to satisfy customers. Too many others with same problem and this is a luxury car. Acura knows it's an issue otherwise they wouldn't have agreed to pay $85%.

- West Palm Beach, FL, USA

Mar 012010

Multiple cracks in dashboard. Started small in length on passenger side of dash but now have extened and taken over the entire dashboard area. Also, the airbag light, both main and passenger, turn on and off intermittently.

- Tamarac, FL, USA