NHTSA — Air Bags Problems

2005 Acura TL (Page 4 of 5)

2005 Acura TL seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Acura TL:

2005 Acura TL Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

Jun 102012

TL 6-cyl

Vehicle dash cover has large cracks running from defrost outlets aft to rear edge of dash cover, paticularly in the vicinity of the passenger air bag. Passenger air bag is potentially exposed to uv damage and other contamination effecting deployment reliability.

- Kannapolis, NC, USA

Sep 172013

TL 6-cyl

It has come to my attention that a large number of 2004-2008 Acura TL owners have found themselves having to take their cars in to their local dealerships because of a split dashboard problem in their cars, including myself. Although some dashes have been replaced under warranty, in most cases, the dash cracks just as the warranty ends. In some cases, dealers will do a good will repair, recognizing it is a defective part, however, some dealerships, are not willing to replace the part and want to charge for replacing the defective dash.this is a safety concern due to the SRS airbag is located underneath the dashboard itself, and could possibly deploy at anytime.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Sep 062007

TL

The contact owns a 2005 Acura TL. The contact stated that the air bag and engine warning lights were illuminated. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where the technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Nov 142012

TL 6-cyl

About 9 months ago a small crack appeared in the dashboard of my '05 Acura TL. The dash continued to split to over a foot in length. Within a month of the first crack, a second one appeared and grew to match the same length. These cracks outline the front passenger airbag. What affect does this have on the security of the airbag" I'm concerned that a passenger in the front seat is endangered as the structure is compromised" I've researched this online and there are plenty of TL owners complaining about the same issue. It's found predominately in the 2004 - 2007 models. I've read that Acura has admitted an "issue" with the dash, but wants the owners to pay for repairs. The costs range from $2000 - $3000 per car. I'm the original owner of this vehicle. It was purchased in September 2005 and is out of warranty. My TL currently has 66849 miles on it. I'd like to receive some assistance with this issue. Thank you.

- Metairie, LA, USA

Jul 262013

TL

Cracked dash board right over the passenger side air bag. Very unacceptable for this type of car and a huge safety concern.

- Folkston, GA, USA

Feb 012012

TL 6-cyl

I didn't have an incident but my dashboard is cracked everywhere including where the passenger and driver airbags are located. Acura claims wear and tear because I live in South Florida and refuses to fix this even though this is supposedly a luxury car and no other cars in South Florida have this issue, plus my car is garage kept. This is a very dangerous issue and apparently 1000S of Acura TL owners from 2004 have the same problem. These need to be repaired or the cars taken off the roads.

- Loxahatchee, FL, USA

Jun 142013

TL 6-cyl

My dashboard recently developed a crack about 6 inches in length on the passenger side dashboard where the airbag is located. I have read where multiple incidences like mine have been recorded for this vehicle & Acura apparently is not accepting responsibility for the obvious defect in this model.

- Haslet, TX, USA

Nov 302011

TL 6-cyl

There were two hairline cracks on my dashboard when I purchased my car about a year ago. Over the winter months the cracks seemed to spread. I'm afraid that the cracks around the passenger airbag could cause injury if the airbag ever detonated as the airbag would likely malfunction. I've noticed this is a common problem in 2005 Acura Tls and find it annoying that Acura won't claim responsibility. I've never seen anything like this in a car... is this a safety issue" does anyone know for sure that the airbag will work properly in a time of need"

- Marietta, GA, USA

Sep 282012

TL

Cracks appear on dashboard above driver side and passenger side airbag. Acura client relations claims this is a cosmetic issue. I have researched this as an on-going issue since 2009. I believe this is a defective part on the vehicle. Quote to fix this "blemish" is over 2K. Acura will only pay 50% I must pay the other $1000. I believe Acura should have this replaced. Airbag light turns on and off. Hoping this has nothing to do with the crack in the dashboard. Something needs to be done.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 012012

TL

Cracks have developed in dashboard of 2005 Acura TL. Located along edge of passenger side airbag (outlining right side of airbag) and above steering column. Concerned that passenger airbag will not deploy, or will cause personal injury in the event it does deploy. Garage kept, apx 98K miles when first crack appeared.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Sep 012011

TL

The dashboard has cracked with cracks all over. Foot long crack on the right of the air bag area and small crack at the center front speaker. The airbag area is covered with long cracks from the dashboard to the windshield. There has been no accident of any kind, but the dashboard has a look of long cracks all throughout. There are many documented Acura TL's with this very same cracking pattern on facebook as well as acurazine community. This seems to be a defect in the build and should be covered by the manufacturer as a recall!

- West Palm Beach, FL, USA

Feb 152011

TL 6-cyl

I noticed a small crack on the passenger side airbag now it has spread across my whole dashboard there are many cracks.

- Goose Creek , SC, USA

May 172012

TL

Dashboard cracks -noticed small crack in my 2005 TL dashboard over the passenger airbag in May 2012. Overnight it grew from front to back. My car is garaged. Contacted my service advisor by phone and he stated it was cosmetic and due to high heat and high mileage. I stated car was garaged and I owned other cars that were as old and never experience this. He told me cost was $1850 to replace. He said he'd send the complaint to corporate and get back to me. He came back to me and said Acura would pay 75% of cost since I was a good customer. I said that was not acceptable and I would like to talk to regional manager. He said he'd take the request further. In the meantime I noticed another crack. A week later I got a call stating Acura would pay 85% and I'd pay $247 plus tax. I was concerned that the airbag could malfunction and not deploy when in an accident or deploy for no reason. I decided to pay the $247. Dealer stated he would give me a loaner car. Before I brought the car in for repair I noticed two more cracks. My concern is safety for me and my passengers and I did not feel safe with dashboard cracks. This was a design flaw or material defect and Acura should recall to satisfy customers. Too many others with same problem and this is a luxury car. Acura knows it's an issue otherwise they wouldn't have agreed to pay $85%.

- West Palm Beach, FL, USA

Mar 262012

TL 6-cyl

Paying the money for a luxury car would make you think you were buying a quality product. Unfortunately, after only 7 years of owning my car, there are 2 huge cracks in my dashboard with one of them being right along the outline of my airbag. I am hoping this crack does not affect the performance of my airbag if ever needed, but I guess I won't find out unless it is deployed and the rest of my dashboard shatters into pieces probably causing another injury!

- Plantation, FL, USA

Aug 012010

TL

Like others here my airbag in the passenger dash is cracked in a ring and I fear the airbag will malfunction, in addition if it doesn't malfunction, and deploys the plastic will be propelled with great force by the deplosion of airbag causing serious injury. I survived the failed transmissions, with numerous lock ups at highway speeds that caused a crash with injuries. I don't understand why Acura and Honda have not taken these warnings seriously, its obvious the safety risk, please stop playing with our lives and fix this problem. I also have a whine in my steering and replaced the power steering pump completely, it stills whines and is now leaking steering fluid and fumes coming into car and my wiper water quit spraying on my windshield. This is too much for a higher model car that cost a lot of money. Oh and I have replaced my tires so many times due to the treat wearing off like every 20K miles!

- Hernando, FL, USA

Jan 142012

TL

Driving down the highway on my way home from work on 01/14/2012 and the passenger side curtain airbags deployed. Have seen several other reports of this happening. I just thank god my 11 month old wasn't sitting in her car seat in the backseat.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Dec 152011

TL 6-cyl

My Acura 2005 TL formed giant cracks in the dashboard overnight. I am worried about the safety of the airbags due to these cracks, my research has shown that others have experienced this same problem and that the cracks only get worse and appear above the passenger side airbag if the dash is not replaced. Please see the facebook page devoted to this problem (photos included): Https://www.facebook.com/acuratldefectivedash?sk=wall&filter=1 Acura is not recognizing this a potential safety defect. I think they need to take responsibility for this defect and make an official recall and replace this for free. If anything happens to any of my passengers due to the cracks in my dashboard I am holding Acura responsible for their care.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Apr 012011

TL

The contact owns a 2005 Acura TL. The contact stated that there was a crack on the dashboard where the passenger side air bag was located. The contact expressed concern that the air bag would not deploy in the event of a crash. In addition, the air bag warning light illuminated. The dealer advised the contact not to be alarmed and that the air bag would deploy in the event of a crash. The manufacturer was aware of the failure, but offered no assistance. No repairs were performed. The approximate failure mileages were 85,000 and the current mileages were 102,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Keller, TX, USA

Aug 172011

TL 6-cyl

I own a 2005 Acura TL and noticed a small crack in my dashboard about eight months ago. I took it to the dealership because my airbag light was on and they told me it was just a cosmetic defect and there was nothing they could do about it. Now over the past month there are cracks everywhere and Acura still won't help because it's not under warranty. I am very concerned because I'm not sure if my airbags will work if needed and I'm also concerned that they could possibly deploy while I'm driving. This is a safety issue because I'm not protected from an accident and this defect could also cause an accident, causing serious harm to me and my family.

- Lisle, IL, USA

Sep 302011

TL 6-cyl

I rear ended someone while driving on a busy southern California freeway. The car in front of me had slowed down after noticing that the person in front of her had slammed on her brakes. I was traveling at least 40 mph and did not notice the car in front had slowed down/stopped and I rear-ended her. Her car had a lot of rear bumper damage. My car sustained the brunt of the force and was damaged in the front. No one was hurt, but my husband was in the passenger seat, while my 2 year old was in his car seat in the back. My airbags did not deploy, despite the fact that it was a frontal collision with extensive damage to the front. This accident, thankfully, was not fatal, however could easily have been. This happened on a very busy freeway with cars traveling at least 65 mph. It also happened almost immediately after a slight turn in the freeway, making it difficult for cars to notice an accident in time to stop. My car could have easily been hit from behind almost immediately after the collision. I don't feel safe driving it anymore (even after it's fixed) because I view that car as a loaded gun and I'm playing russian roulette. It's my primary mode of transportation and we use this car for any traveling we do. My son is mostly in my car (school, etc.). I wanted to report this so that this does not happen to others and, god forbid, be fatal. Please investigate these incidences so no unnecessary consequences occur as a result of faulty airbags.

- Toluca Terrace, CA, USA