NHTSA — Air Bags Problems

2005 Acura TL (Page 4 of 5)

2005 Acura TL seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Acura TL:

2005 Acura TL Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

Jul 262013

TL

Cracked dash board right over the passenger side air bag. Very unacceptable for this type of car and a huge safety concern.

- Folkston, GA, USA

Feb 012012

TL 6-cyl

I didn't have an incident but my dashboard is cracked everywhere including where the passenger and driver airbags are located. Acura claims wear and tear because I live in South Florida and refuses to fix this even though this is supposedly a luxury car and no other cars in South Florida have this issue, plus my car is garage kept. This is a very dangerous issue and apparently 1000S of Acura TL owners from 2004 have the same problem. These need to be repaired or the cars taken off the roads.

- Loxahatchee, FL, USA

Jun 142013

TL 6-cyl

My dashboard recently developed a crack about 6 inches in length on the passenger side dashboard where the airbag is located. I have read where multiple incidences like mine have been recorded for this vehicle & Acura apparently is not accepting responsibility for the obvious defect in this model.

- Haslet, TX, USA

Nov 302011

TL 6-cyl

There were two hairline cracks on my dashboard when I purchased my car about a year ago. Over the winter months the cracks seemed to spread. I'm afraid that the cracks around the passenger airbag could cause injury if the airbag ever detonated as the airbag would likely malfunction. I've noticed this is a common problem in 2005 Acura Tls and find it annoying that Acura won't claim responsibility. I've never seen anything like this in a car... is this a safety issue" does anyone know for sure that the airbag will work properly in a time of need"

- Marietta, GA, USA

Sep 282012

TL

Cracks appear on dashboard above driver side and passenger side airbag. Acura client relations claims this is a cosmetic issue. I have researched this as an on-going issue since 2009. I believe this is a defective part on the vehicle. Quote to fix this "blemish" is over 2K. Acura will only pay 50% I must pay the other $1000. I believe Acura should have this replaced. Airbag light turns on and off. Hoping this has nothing to do with the crack in the dashboard. Something needs to be done.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 012012

TL

Cracks have developed in dashboard of 2005 Acura TL. Located along edge of passenger side airbag (outlining right side of airbag) and above steering column. Concerned that passenger airbag will not deploy, or will cause personal injury in the event it does deploy. Garage kept, apx 98K miles when first crack appeared.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Sep 012011

TL

The dashboard has cracked with cracks all over. Foot long crack on the right of the air bag area and small crack at the center front speaker. The airbag area is covered with long cracks from the dashboard to the windshield. There has been no accident of any kind, but the dashboard has a look of long cracks all throughout. There are many documented Acura TL's with this very same cracking pattern on facebook as well as acurazine community. This seems to be a defect in the build and should be covered by the manufacturer as a recall!

- West Palm Beach, FL, USA

Feb 152011

TL 6-cyl

I noticed a small crack on the passenger side airbag now it has spread across my whole dashboard there are many cracks.

- Goose Creek , SC, USA

May 172012

TL

Dashboard cracks -noticed small crack in my 2005 TL dashboard over the passenger airbag in May 2012. Overnight it grew from front to back. My car is garaged. Contacted my service advisor by phone and he stated it was cosmetic and due to high heat and high mileage. I stated car was garaged and I owned other cars that were as old and never experience this. He told me cost was $1850 to replace. He said he'd send the complaint to corporate and get back to me. He came back to me and said Acura would pay 75% of cost since I was a good customer. I said that was not acceptable and I would like to talk to regional manager. He said he'd take the request further. In the meantime I noticed another crack. A week later I got a call stating Acura would pay 85% and I'd pay $247 plus tax. I was concerned that the airbag could malfunction and not deploy when in an accident or deploy for no reason. I decided to pay the $247. Dealer stated he would give me a loaner car. Before I brought the car in for repair I noticed two more cracks. My concern is safety for me and my passengers and I did not feel safe with dashboard cracks. This was a design flaw or material defect and Acura should recall to satisfy customers. Too many others with same problem and this is a luxury car. Acura knows it's an issue otherwise they wouldn't have agreed to pay $85%.

- West Palm Beach, FL, USA

Mar 262012

TL 6-cyl

Paying the money for a luxury car would make you think you were buying a quality product. Unfortunately, after only 7 years of owning my car, there are 2 huge cracks in my dashboard with one of them being right along the outline of my airbag. I am hoping this crack does not affect the performance of my airbag if ever needed, but I guess I won't find out unless it is deployed and the rest of my dashboard shatters into pieces probably causing another injury!

- Plantation, FL, USA

Aug 012010

TL

Like others here my airbag in the passenger dash is cracked in a ring and I fear the airbag will malfunction, in addition if it doesn't malfunction, and deploys the plastic will be propelled with great force by the deplosion of airbag causing serious injury. I survived the failed transmissions, with numerous lock ups at highway speeds that caused a crash with injuries. I don't understand why Acura and Honda have not taken these warnings seriously, its obvious the safety risk, please stop playing with our lives and fix this problem. I also have a whine in my steering and replaced the power steering pump completely, it stills whines and is now leaking steering fluid and fumes coming into car and my wiper water quit spraying on my windshield. This is too much for a higher model car that cost a lot of money. Oh and I have replaced my tires so many times due to the treat wearing off like every 20K miles!

- Hernando, FL, USA

Jan 142012

TL

Driving down the highway on my way home from work on 01/14/2012 and the passenger side curtain airbags deployed. Have seen several other reports of this happening. I just thank god my 11 month old wasn't sitting in her car seat in the backseat.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Dec 152011

TL 6-cyl

My Acura 2005 TL formed giant cracks in the dashboard overnight. I am worried about the safety of the airbags due to these cracks, my research has shown that others have experienced this same problem and that the cracks only get worse and appear above the passenger side airbag if the dash is not replaced. Please see the facebook page devoted to this problem (photos included): Https://www.facebook.com/acuratldefectivedash?sk=wall&filter=1 Acura is not recognizing this a potential safety defect. I think they need to take responsibility for this defect and make an official recall and replace this for free. If anything happens to any of my passengers due to the cracks in my dashboard I am holding Acura responsible for their care.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Apr 012011

TL

The contact owns a 2005 Acura TL. The contact stated that there was a crack on the dashboard where the passenger side air bag was located. The contact expressed concern that the air bag would not deploy in the event of a crash. In addition, the air bag warning light illuminated. The dealer advised the contact not to be alarmed and that the air bag would deploy in the event of a crash. The manufacturer was aware of the failure, but offered no assistance. No repairs were performed. The approximate failure mileages were 85,000 and the current mileages were 102,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Keller, TX, USA

Aug 172011

TL 6-cyl

I own a 2005 Acura TL and noticed a small crack in my dashboard about eight months ago. I took it to the dealership because my airbag light was on and they told me it was just a cosmetic defect and there was nothing they could do about it. Now over the past month there are cracks everywhere and Acura still won't help because it's not under warranty. I am very concerned because I'm not sure if my airbags will work if needed and I'm also concerned that they could possibly deploy while I'm driving. This is a safety issue because I'm not protected from an accident and this defect could also cause an accident, causing serious harm to me and my family.

- Lisle, IL, USA

Sep 302011

TL 6-cyl

I rear ended someone while driving on a busy southern California freeway. The car in front of me had slowed down after noticing that the person in front of her had slammed on her brakes. I was traveling at least 40 mph and did not notice the car in front had slowed down/stopped and I rear-ended her. Her car had a lot of rear bumper damage. My car sustained the brunt of the force and was damaged in the front. No one was hurt, but my husband was in the passenger seat, while my 2 year old was in his car seat in the back. My airbags did not deploy, despite the fact that it was a frontal collision with extensive damage to the front. This accident, thankfully, was not fatal, however could easily have been. This happened on a very busy freeway with cars traveling at least 65 mph. It also happened almost immediately after a slight turn in the freeway, making it difficult for cars to notice an accident in time to stop. My car could have easily been hit from behind almost immediately after the collision. I don't feel safe driving it anymore (even after it's fixed) because I view that car as a loaded gun and I'm playing russian roulette. It's my primary mode of transportation and we use this car for any traveling we do. My son is mostly in my car (school, etc.). I wanted to report this so that this does not happen to others and, god forbid, be fatal. Please investigate these incidences so no unnecessary consequences occur as a result of faulty airbags.

- Toluca Terrace, CA, USA

Aug 012011

TL

The contact owns a 2005 Acura TL. The contact stated that the dashboard was fractured and the airbag warning light was illuminated. The dealer and manufacturer were contacted but provided no assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure was mileage was 60,000 and the current mileage was 60,100.

- Canton, GA, USA

Jul 242011

TL

4 days ago, I noticed a small crack appearing along the passenger airbag and now, the crack has gotten worse. It as grown to circle around along the airbag.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jul 082011

TL

Over a 24 hour period the a crack running the full width of the dash appeared immediately above the passenger side air bag. This has caused the airbag light to begin going on and off while driving. I do not know if the airbag is functioning properly. In the event of an accident it may mean that the airbag will not deploy or deploy correctly, or it may mean that the airbag deploys when it should not. It will also mean that shards of plastic from the dash will fly around the cabin causing additional and unnecessary injury to occupants. I will no longer allow passengers in my car for fear of the injury this may cause them. This is a well-known and well-documented problem with the 2005 TL. Acura corrected the problem with subsequent models and has replaced the dash for many of those who complained, labeling it "goodwill", but they have not elected to correct the problem on all and do not deal with it consistently. Please have Acura issue a recall before someone is seriously hurt or killed because of this.

- Vicksburg, MS, USA

Dec 252010

TL 6-cyl

I contacted Acura's corporate office regarding 3 large cracks that appeared on my Acura TL 2005 dashboard. I spoke with two representatives, who denied any knowledge of this problem occurring with other Acura owners. During our conversation, I told the representatives that I had done some research regarding this problem and discovered that several thousand complaints have been forwarded to the office of defect investigation along with a facebook page with other dissatisfied customers. The representatives seemed unaware of the 'split dash┐ product defect, which I found unbelievable. Acura dealerships in my area were aware of the problem and I┐M sure that the corporate office was notified by them when all of these complaints came in. The fact that the representatives would deny any knowledge of this issue was a blatant lie. I was told to bring my vehicle to the nearest Acura dealership, where they would take pictures of the dashboard (see enclosed pictures). While driving to the dealership, I noticed that my airbag light was now lit. The dealership took pictures of the 3 large cracks and lit airbag light and told me he would get back in touch with me once Acura responded to him. After a few days, the dealership called to say Acura was going to make a ┐good will┐ gesture and only charge me 50% of the cost to replace it, since the warranty for the dashboard had expired. My cost would be between $900 to $1000. I was appalled that Acura would even consider having a customer pay for a defective part that was manufactured by the company. It is obvious that this is a major safety concern, especially now that the airbag light is lit. It is reasonable to believe that cracks that develop where the passenger air bag is supposed to deploy have the potential to affect the deployment of this safety equipment in case of an accident and, therefore, should be considered a safety hazard.

- Wellington , FL, USA