NHTSA — Air Bags Problems

2005 Acura TL (Page 1 of 5)

2005 Acura TL seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Acura TL:

2005 Acura TL Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Apr 012015

To whom it may concern, I purchased 2005 Acura TL at paragon Acura in queens, New York. That time when I purchased this car was brand new car. Just happened last year the dashboard started to crack. Beside all over near the dashboard and nears to the airbags. This is very dangerous and serious stuff and will caused accident this is the second time I contacted National Highway Traffic Safety Administration regarding this issues. Please note that I also own a 2006 Honda Odyssey and this car the dashboard were fine as new. I'm so disappointed, I thought Acura should be better than Honda. Please let me know is dashboard can be replaced with no charge or recall please see attached photo again regards, tat lam 718-986-6010

- Oakland Gardens, NY, USA

May 012015

My 2005 Acura TL dashboard cracks so many places.. especially passenger side of dashboard. This is very dangerous if the airbag pop out while you're driving the road. I purchased this car brand new at paragon Acura, woodside, N.Y I hope this is recall. Please see attached photo. My name: Tat lam phone: 718-986-6010 email:

- Oakland Gardens, NY, USA

Jun 012016

My 2005 Acura TL is developing cracks in the dashboard. One of the cracks of major concern is the one that is forming along the right-hand side of the passenger airbag. I am afraid that the crack will cause the airbag to malfunction! the bag may deploy suddenly while driving, it may deploy upwards rather than forwards; it may cause the dash to crack further and spray the passenger compartment with dash shrapnel, or the cracks themselves my puncture the airbag - each causing a great safety concern including death or severe injury. The airbag light started to appear intermittently after the cracked formed around the airbag. I am afraid to fill the crack as that may also affect the airbag and safety of the vehicle. This problem is so widespread that social media groups have been formed - such as on facebook ( ). it seems to affect many of the Acura TL models 2004-2008. The company should take responsibility and create a recall due to safety concerns for their passengers.

- Montgomery, AL, USA

Jun 012016

Dashboard is cracked in two places. One crack is right above the airbag. Not sure if it could cause the airbag to deploy? I have read that this is a problem with a lot of Acura.

- Fairfield, CA, USA

Jul 022016

A year ago my dashboard began to crack for no apparent reason, last week my airbag light went on and stays on. Research show that a large number of people have the same problem.

- New Freedom, PA, USA

Aug 102015

My 2005 Acura TL has developed a significant dashboard crack along the perimeter of the passenger side airbag location. This is a well known issue posted on many internet sites including many reports on facebook community: Https:// additionally, many others have submitted complaints to NHTSA expressing their safety concerns. Since the time of the crack the airbag light will alarm. The dashboard crack is sharp and jagged edged. If the airbag is deployed the cracked dash will likely interfere in the airbag's trajectory and/or possible gash the airbag. In addition the cracked dash may spray pieces into the occupancy area. I am sure Acura has not tested airbag deployment safety with a crack dashboard. The NHTSA needs to investigate this broad problem on 3rd generation Acura Tls (2004-2008), as Acura will not address or even acknowledge this safety issue. I strongly encourage the NHTSA to follow-thru with an investigation. We do not need anyone being seriously injured due to these crack dashboards undergoing force of an airbag deployment. I am attaching a photo of my cracked dash. Original crack was ~3 inches, now the crack is 8-9". the crack continues to grow which amplifies the safety concerns. Also attaching a photo compiled of other 3rd generation Acura Tls with same issue. Many photos are on the internet.

- Chapel Hill, NC, USA

Mar 012013

Dashboard cracked in several spots. I have read that many complaints has been filed on this particular year, make, and model of car and nothing has been done to resolve this issue.

- Vernon, FL, USA

Oct 012014

Takata airbags? dashboard on passenger side is cracked and has become to increase in size. Fear that this may cause airbag "takata" to explode. Airbag light on driverside randomly comes on and will stay on while driving or parked. Fear that airbag light may be an indicator of front airbags may go wrong. Over time the dashboard cracks have increased in size.

- Ruskin, FL, USA

Jan 012015

Takata recall? airbag light comes on periodically while stationary and while in motion. There are cracks in passenger side dashboard above the airbag. The cracks started appearing over a year ago, but they are expanding.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Apr 012016

There is a long split right along the side of where the airbag sits on the passanger side. This concerns me being right over the airbag. Looking online there is a facebook page with countless concerns of others with cracked dashboards in the same location. This cracking concerns me that the airbag might inflate while driving or not inflate correctly if in an accident. My fear is if I fill the crack that this also might impact how the airbag works. This should not happen with a luxury car and apparently this is happening in tons of cars from 2004 - 2008 that I've read about. I recently noticed this, but looking at the size of the crack it has likely been there for awhile and I didn't notice it. When the car heats up the crack isn't visible.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Apr 012015

I have. Noticed large cracks on top of the dash, some where my airbags are. What if the deploy? these cracks came out of nowhere and I feel they are hazardous to my airbags if they deploy

- Wilmer, TX, USA

Feb 012015

This Acura TL has been well cared for. The dashboard has over the last year developed several deep cracks over the passenger airbag area and throughout the entire dash now. It starts from the windshield and cracks all the way to the front of dash. Very concerned if airbag would be effected or even deploy properly. Also if pieces of this rigid dashboard would hurt the driver or passengers in front seat if in a accident.

- Carlsbad, CA, USA

Apr 052016

Four weeks ago, my dash all of the sudden got 2 large cracks. This car is garaged, and when parked outside at work, ad window shades to protect the dash and keep the front seats and steering wheel cool. My car was parked in the garage, and when I got it in, the cracks were there.

- Phillips Ranch, CA, USA

Oct 012015

Crack has appeared on dashboard passenger side over air bag area. Vehicle was stationary. Safety concern with airbag

- Sarasota, FL, USA

Feb 282016

Passenger side dashboard cracked verticle direction where airbag is. The airbag light is displayed in dashboard. Because of the crack, it is not known if the airbag will work properly if in a crash or if it will deploy unexpectedly also causing harm.

- Westampton, NJ, USA

Jan 052012

My airbag light is on as a result of my dashboard cracking. The dashboard started cracking and light came on a few years after I bought the car. I work from home so my car is parked in the garage mostly. In the past I've had cars sit in the sun all day and the dashboard never cracked. I have talked to Acura several times about this issue and they are not willing to fix it. They want me to pay $700 to have it repaired even though it is a defect. I feel it is a safety concern and I do not have anyone sit in the front seat because I'm worried it will not deploy. I show many forums with the same issue but Acura refuses to help. I guess they wont do anything until someone is injured.

- Port Saint Lucie, FL, USA

Mar 152016

Major crack all over dash board. Six are on the passenger side of dash directly where air bags are housed above glove compartment, spanning the entire width to the drivers side. Air bag light is on as well. Did some research and discovered it was a very common problem with this model and nothing has been done to fix. The cracks are getting wider with time and have progressed with time.

- Silverdale, WA, USA

Jul 012015

Over the past few weeks, without warning, the dash board on the passenger side of the car has developed two long identical cracks about 10" apart parallel and opposite the other. Appears to be the airbag pushing up through the dash board. I am very concerned that the airbag is going to deploy on its own and hurt someone and/or cause an accident.

- Opelika, AL, USA

Apr 152015

Airbag light came on an intermittently for a couple of months regardless of passengers in the front seat or not. Now it is on all the time.

- Edgewater, MD, USA

Jul 062015

The dash board on the passenger side of the car has two identical cracks about 10" apart parallel and opposite the other. I believe it is the airbag pushing up through the dash board. My main concern is the airbag is going to deploy without cause and hurt someone and/or cause an accident.

- Palm Beach Gardens, FL, USA