NHTSA — Steering Problems

2005 Acura TL steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Acura TL:

2005 Acura TL Owner Comments

Aug 202015

The power steering fails at low speeds. Parking, reversing and turning etc. Once you are going above 10 mph or so it seems to be okay.. but I am afraid this is going to happen when driving faster and something horrible happen. When I am trying to turn or park or get out of a parking lot... it is nearly impossible and scary that I am going to hit something or someone because I can't turn my car.

- Mount Holly, NC, USA

Jan 012014

I lose power steering at very low speeds, I.e. when trying to park or trying to reverse out of parking or make a turn, but once the speed crosses 10-15 mph, power steering is fine. So far it has not happened at highway speeds, but I'm worried it might happen. I've seen this same very complaint by other Acura owners in multiple forums.

- Canton, MI, USA

Apr 252015

TL 6-cyl

I was merging onto the freeway and while doing a turn the wheel became hard to turn causing me to lose control temporarily. The power steering liquid is leaking. This is dangerous I could have hit another car !!!!!!!!

- Maywood, CA, USA

Mar 262015

TL 6-cyl

The steering wheel stop functioning while driving without any reason. It's scary situation when driving on the road.

- Herndon, VA, USA

Sep 032013

I purchased this vehicle from montauk auto dealer on linden blvd queens NY on August 2 2 weeks after that driving to work my brakes fail I got it fix a week after that the car started shaking on the freeway I stop got out the freeway N took it to a shop the steering mechanism is no good can't afford to fix it is $1600 to fix it so I had it balanced and tied down only to find out there's also frame damage also they sold me the car for $7500 2 months after that they sent me a letter charging me $13500 for the car and they never told me about the damage to the car I need serious help please help me with this issue.

- Bronx, NY, USA

May 012008

TL 6-cyl

There was a safety recall for the power steering that I got repaired in spring 2008. I continue to have issues with my power steering and have had it replace maybe twice since 2008.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jan 012011

TL 6-cyl

My issues with my car started about 3 years ago. I have had to replace the power steering rack and pump after the Acura recalled the hoses, but I was told that the hoses had nothing to do with my issue. I have had to replace the starter, the headlight computer unit, and both ignitors in the headlight. I am on my third battery in 2 years and no one can tell me why my battery is continuously dying. About two years ago, the bluetooth system all of a sudden stopped working. In the last year, my dashboard has started to crack from the driver to the passenger side, and the damage is much severe and prominent over the air bag area. I was told by Acura support that it should not cause any problems to the air bag, and the air bag should deploy appropriately with no problems. Prior to me purchasing my so-called "luxury" Acura, I had a 2000 Honda civic, and I never had any major issues with it. Thinking that I purchase an Acura, and it was the worst mistake I've made in my life. I have advised all my family and friends not to purchase an Acura because the quality sucks and it is a waste of your money due to all the money you have to put in for the repairs. In the past couple of months, I've spent almost $4000 on repairs for simple things like headlight issues and sensors. I spoke with Acura customer care about assistance with repairing my dashboard and I was offer a 50% discount based on their criteria which I believe are ridiculous. One of the criteria that they look at is to see have you been a loyal customer as far as maintenance and repairs are concerned. I informed the guy that the nearest Acura dealership is an hour and half away from my home, and it made no sense for my to drive the distance for an oil change. Completely fed up with Acura!!

- Lake City, FL, USA

Oct 062010

TL 6-cyl

2005 Acura TL rack and pinion leaking at 72 K miles. Steering fluid has to be refilled every few days. This is a safety issue because the car could loose steering control anytime.

- New Jersey, NJ, USA

Dec 122007

2005 Acura TL I have had a probleum with the sterring since day 1 I have brought back to the dealealer 5 times in one year in the beging the first year it was fine but then the probleum started an they claim there is nothing they can dhelp

- Lodi, NJ, USA

Oct 232008

Acura has a safety recall on their power steering fluid hose. I have a 5 hour round trip to the dealer and they are not making an attempt to accommodate this issue through their scheduling - if this is an important recall (their issue) that can lead to a fire as they say, they need to ensure they have the processes and systems in place to accomplish the recall in a timely and effective manner.

- Cedar Rapids, IA, USA

Dec 242007

Tire specs -Goodyear Eagle 235/45zr17 94Y S2 Eagle response edge vsb on 2005 Acura TL with variable assist steering. I recently replaced my tires with Goodyear response edge carbon fiber sidewall tires. These tires played havoc with the vas system. The steering wheel could not be centered. In fact the centering changed throughout a drive. Cornering, on acceleration, the car turned abruptly into the corner, on breaking the car turned out of the corner without moving the wheel. Replaced tires with dunlap sp 5000 which fixed the problem tire specs -Goodyear Eagle 235/45zr17 94Y S2 Eagle response edge vsb.

- Falmouth, ME, USA