1.9

2006 Acura TL drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Acura TL:

2006 Acura TL Owner Comments

Aug 142015

TL

The contact owns a 2006 Acura TL. While driving approximately 60 mph, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was able to restart, but the failure reccured. The contact stated that the vehicle would not shift into gear. The vehicle was towed back to the contact's residence. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 129,000. The VIN was not available.

- Hartford, CT, USA

Jan 242014

TL

2006 Acura TL. Consumer writes in regards to transmission problems. The consumer stated she had to pay $1280 to have the transmission replaced. The problem has since returned.

- Ramsey, NJ, USA

Feb 022015

TL

The car suddenly started to slow down. The gears started engaging and disengaging. Next day the autozone shop used the scanner and found codesp0722-P0780 the cuuse of ca problem. The car runs for a few minutes and then dies, after cooling period of about 2-4 minutes it starts runs for about 6-8 minutes and dies again. Three days ago the transmission repair shop also took on highway and had the same problem. He then tried to use the scanner to get the codes and. The scanner would not read anything. Thus at his advice I have to replace with new reman transmission coding about $4,650. In addition the dashboard showed tears the last summer. Called Acura and the said they had no recall on Acura TL 2006 car and also about tearing of dash board.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Sep 072014

TL 6-cyl

Vehicle transmission stopped and failed go into gear while in motion/park on road. No warning lights (check engine) were on before incident. Notified Acura client services of the issue. Acura provide no feedback or solution for this problem. Problem was isolated to defective transmission. Total cost to replace defective transmission $1850.

- Crofton, MD, USA

Aug 162014

TL

Transmission shifted erratically at 40 mph and was slipping at 50 mph until it went neutral on a busy road. Stopped on the shoulder and waited for a few minutes. Was able to get to my destination. Later that day I drove back home only to have the same issues after 15 minutes but this time the transmission could not upshift properly and would go to neutral. Stopped on the shoulder again and waited. Re-started after a few minutes and the car would drive fine again but only for 3-4 minutes until the transmission went to neutral again. This went on for 2-3 more times until I stopped and just parked the car waiting for the tow truck to take back to a reputable repair shop. Found out from the service dept that the transmission is shot and that I needed to replace it. I called the Acura dealer and was informed that they could not do anything since it was past the warranty period even though I only had 68K miles on the odometer. The car has been maintained extremely well and cared for. I never had a problem with Honda transmission on prior vehicles I drove (98 civic 100K+ miles and 98 Accord 4 cycle 190K miles).

- Ballwin, MO, USA

Jun 092014

TL 6-cyl

My 2006 Acura TL suddenly shut off while driving on a parkway. The dealer said a yellow sack spider web clogged the air conditioning drain tube which caused water to back up and spill onto the power train control module causing my Acura to shut off. Very dangerous situation.

- Plainview, NY, USA

Jun 112014

TL 6-cyl

The transmission stopped operating. Appears an issue with the second gear, as per repair facility.

- Antelope, CA, USA

Dec 062012

TL 6-cyl

I was driving down the highway at ~60+ mph in traffic and tapped the brakes. The car lurched and almost came to a dead stop (I later learned that the automatic transmission had shifted into 1st gear). This happened 2-3 other times as I tried to move over and get out of the traffic flow w/O being able to fully deploy the brakes. I had to "coast" to a stop. The force of the lurch was enough to throw me forward in my seat. I feel very fortunate that the airbag didn't deploy and that I was able to move to the shoulder without incident. The loud clunk that the car made when this happened made me think I had hit a huge rock or something in the road. Beyond scary. I am the only owner of this car and it has been 100% maintained by the dealer.

- Austin, TX, USA

Apr 072012

TL 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Acura TL. The contact stated that when driving uphill, the gears would start to spin and the transmission would slip and hesitate. The contact stated that the failure would mostly occur when the weather was hot. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic and the contact was told that the transmission needed to be replaced because the transmission was not strong enough for the V6 engine that was in the vehicle. The contact had the torque clutch solenoid replaced previously, but the transmission still failed. The failure mileage was 73,500 and the current mileage was 79500. Updated 10/11/12 the consumer stated transmission oil drips through the through the vent when the failure occurred. Updated 10/11/2012

- Spokane, WA, USA

Nov 272010

TL

I had the most harrowing experience while driving home last Saturday, Nov.27, around 1:15am, at constant speed of 60 mpg when suddenly while stepping on the accelerator pedal I felt slipping of the gears, then the car's acceleration quickly dropping as I frantically tried to regain control and barely managing to steer the car onto the shoulder where it stopped to move completely. I realized then that the car wouldn't move in any gear I shifted it to, which is indicates to me of a failure relating to transmission, if not a failure in the automatic transmission itself that caused this very dangerous incident to happen. I had to call aaa to have the car towed to my driveway where it still is as of this writing. I had no prior knowledge of any transmission problem with this car nor should suspect of such since I've been current with all scheduled maintenance services and kept it in good condition at all times. On Nov. 24, three days prior to the incident, I brought the car to Acura to make sure I had the 'power-steering hose recall' service done since days prior I've been hearing unusual grinding noise around steering wheel, amplified upon turning even slightly the steering wheel on either direction, usually when the car is started the first time. I thought the noise I hearing might be related to this 'recall' service. However, according to Acura that service had been done on my car last February 2008, but it would cost me $110 for them to diagnose the problem for which I opted them not to since I didn't have the funds. I believe an incident such as I have experience wherein a moving vehicle would suddenly lose power and become immobilized within matter of seconds poses a very serious 'safety risk' to our highways that should warrant prompt investigation and resolution to its cause to ensure responsibility of our continued safety.

- Metuchen, NJ, USA