NHTSA — Air Bags Problems

2006 Acura TL (Page 1 of 3)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of

2006 Acura TL seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Acura TL:

2006 Acura TL Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Sep 012016

TL

Vehicle airbag may be compromised. Dashboard has begun cracking across passenger airbag area. Two large cracks running from front to back of dashboard. As the owner of the vehicle I am very concerned for passenger safety should the airbag deploy. Vehicle has been garage kept and mileage is only 70K. This has to be a vehicle defect.

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 122016

TL

Dash around pass airbag indention is cracking badly from airbag to windshield and down to glovebox. Overnight it appeared while parked. I feel as if I was in a accident and airbag deployed pieces of dash could fly out and hurt someone. Car is very well taken care of. Acura says they will fix for $2000. Seems its a safety issue and should be repaired. Have a couple friends with same care all doing exactly the same thing

- Culpeper, VA, USA

Oct 012015

TL

Dashboard is cracking exposing the passenger side airbag.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Oct 032012

TL

Passenger airbag is attached to the dash board. Dash board has multiple cracks that have a concern it may either not deploy when there is accident or plastic parts may fly off.

- Irvine, CA, USA

May 012016

TL

Beginning in May 2016, the dashboard of my 2016 Acura TL began to crack. The crack propagates along the air bag deployment breakaway seam located on top of the dashboard. The cracking occurs on the passenger side of my car. This is location on the dashboard that the air bag deploys in the event of a substantial collision. My concern is that dust, debris and possibly condensation or liquid can drop into the air bag compartment thereby negatively effecting the deployment of the air bag or rendering the air bag inoperable. The cracking is continuing to propagate along the seam of the air bag compartment. Eventually, the entire air bag could be completely exposed.

- Taylors, SC, USA

Jul 202016

TL

My passenger dash board has cracked all the way around the air bag. I took my car to a repair shop and they stated it is caused because the air bags go up and down. I feel like this is a safety and should be looked into. I looked online and hundreds of peopled have experienced this problem.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

May 152016

TL

The contact owns a 2006 Acura TL. While starting the vehicle, the contact noticed a fracture in the dashboard near the passenger side air bag. The contact was afraid to drive the vehicle due to a possible air bag rupture. The vehicle was taken to several independent mechanics who all stated that the air bag could possibly deploy. The dealer was notified, but the vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Peoria, AZ, USA

Mar 212016

TL

I have been having a battery drain problem. I charge the battery and it drains overnight. Battery was check out to be ok. This is the second battery that I bought in two years. I also bought a portable starter so as not to be stranded. Finally the bluetooth fuse was removed and draining stopped for about six weeks. I am noticing that the car when started in the morning is beginning to sound like the problem may be occurring again. Now the second issue is that the passenger dashboard side is cracked. I feared that the airbag would eventually deploy therefore I took it to the dealer. They assured me that it was safe and wrote on the paperwork I received that it was safe. On hot days, the split on both sides of the airbag are much wider and I can now see the shape of the hinge or bolt that keeps it together. Driving with this situation is very unnerving. Acura needs to remedy this issue. Those that go into my car are appalled and would never purchase an Acura based on my vehicle.

- La Mirada, CA, USA

May 012016

TL

II had an head collision accident but the airbag on the steer wheel didn't deploy leaving me sever neck head injuries

- Arlington, TX, USA

Apr 272016

TL

I was driving in town (15-25 mph) when my driver side curtain airbag and seat airbag deployed for no reason at, there was no impact to my vehicle. When the airbags deployed the shock of it caused me to veer to the right rolling up onto a curb and blowing out my front passenger side tire. Had to get the tire replaced and took the car to a collision center to see about replacing the airbags. The people that replaced the tire as well as the people at the collision center were both shocked to see that the air bags deployed with no impact to the vehicle.

- Gonzales, LA, USA

Feb 262016

TL 6-cyl

The dashboard on the driver & passenger side in the area of the air bag is splitting in 2 areas. I observed this when the vehicle was parked overnight. I take good care of my vehicle and this is absurd that this should happen to such a high end vehicle. Loss of equity in vehicle is expected and Acura(Honda) should be held liable and responsible for fixing the issue. A recall notice should be implemented asap to avoid lawsuits from customers as myself. The safety issue is that the airbag system integrity has been compromised. Please advise with recommendation. Thank you

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Oct 242015

TL

I have a 2006 Acura TL and just recently a large crack appeared in the dash above the passenger side airbag. I was not driving at the time and I have not been in any type of accident for this to happen. I went out to my car one day a there it was, a large crack right above the glove box to the windshield. It has gotten bigger since I first saw it in October 2015. I can see the white of the airbag through the crack in the dash. My safety concern is if I were to get in an accident with someone on the passenger seat, will the airbag deploy correctly. Not only is this a safety concern in my eyes, but there are hundreds of other people with the same problem on their 2004-2006 TL's. there is a facebook page that has started because of the amount of claims. I also have to complain that now there is damage to the interior of my car, I have lost value in my car. I can't sell my car for what it's worth with the dash in the condition that it's in. I take very good care of my car and this is something that shouldn't happen to a "luxury" car. I think Honda Corp should put out a recall on the dash of the 2004-2006 Acura TL's, or at least offer help with the cost.

- Lakewood, CA, USA

Nov 012013

TL

2006 Acura TL dashboard cracked on the passenger side from the glove box along both sides of the airbag to the windshield, with adjacent cracks. These cracks are a safety concern to me as I believe in the case of an accident the airbag will deploy through the weakest link, I.e., the airbag will attempt to find its way through the crack instead of where it normally goes! I trusted in acra as I have an Acura MDX as well. Also the homelink system was draining the battery and always caused starting issues.

- Plano, TX, USA

Nov 182012

TL

The contact owns a 2006 Acura TL. The contact stated that the vehicle had four 4 to 12 inch cracks over the dashboard near the air bags. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 204,000. Updated 02/02/16

- Morrisville, NC, USA

Sep 012012

TL

My dash is cracking at a accelerated rate. First at the passenger airbag, now over driver side. My concern is if the dash is dry enough to split along the airbag seams, then what would prevent shards of dash flying off if the airbag deploys? the should get some serious safety considerations.

- Morrow, GA, USA

Sep 102015

TL 6-cyl

Last week I notice a tiny crack about 1/2 inch long on the dash over the area where the passenger air bag is located. Within two days the crack had spread to approximately 12 inches long along the right side of where the air bag is located. You can also see a slight rectangular indent around the area where the airbag is located. I am extremely concerned that this may cause problems with the deployment, or even untimely deployment of the air bag, which could cause serious injury. I have also noticed, via internet research, that this is becoming an epidemic with this make, year and model. Apparently, this is an extremely costly repair. Please research and pursue Acura for a response. Thank you.

- Rancho Cordova, CA, USA

Sep 082015

TL

The dashboard is cracking on right side where the front passenger airbag is located. My vehicle is garaged, has low mileage (56K), I bought the vehicle new and it has not been involved in any collision. This defect is a serious safety concern and it is clear from all of the complaints online that the cracked dashboard problems around the passenger airbag area has been widespread on this model for years and Acura/Honda is still not properly addressing the problem by offering to replace the dashboards at no cost to consumer. When I contacted the dealership service center today, they informed me that there is no open recall for this problem and they did not think it would be covered under any warranties.

- Redondo Beach, CA, USA

Aug 222014

TL

I know there have been issues with the airbags in certain models of Acura and that some of these cars have been recalled. I have a 2006 Acura TL and cracks have formed on the outer area of the passenger airbag. As of this moment, my car is not one of the cars listed in the airbag recall, but I worry about the safety of my airbag since something is causing the dash to crack. I'm afraid if the cracks get big enough, there might be some issues in the deployment of my airbag.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Apr 022015

TL

As so many others have stated, dashboard has developed wide cracks on both sides of the passenger airbag from the window to the glovebox. Surely these cracks cause weakening of the dash which could potentially cause incorrect airbag deployment. NHTSA, please require Acura to resolve these potential safety issues.

- Tarpon Springs, FL, USA

Aug 032015

TL

Within 12 hours of being parked in the drive way over night, a crack appeared in the dashboard around the passenger side airbag. It was not caused by any trauma or impact. I am concerned that the alteration in the structure of the dash will affect the deployment. It may also allow further compromise to the internal components by being an open system. Furthermore, I am concerned that this is a result of increase in pressure internally as opposed to a dash defect. Could this lead to a spontaneous deployment? this year model is not included in current airbag recalls. Those recalls do cite high humidity areas as a source of concern and I am definitely in a high humidity area (90-100% routinely).

- Sumter, SC, USA