NHTSA — Air Bags Problems Seal Of

2008 Acura TL seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Acura TL:

2008 Acura TL Owner Comments

Jun 292016

3 issues 1) two vertical cracks overnight on passenger side dash at air bag location-horizontal crack forming-fear of airbag deploying while driving causing me to wreck-should be recall-I no longer feel safe for fear or accidental deployment 2)bluetooth module failure-two batteries and alternator replaced-now have module disconnected-safety issue of not being able to use hfl while driving 3)since buying car in 2008, complained about drivers door closing back on my leg when I open it-have avoided injuries so far-as others stated, I have to kick door open or hold foot on it when exiting vehicle from what I have read many 2008 TL owners are having the same issues - whats it going to take for NHTSA to force Acura/Honda to address these issues? I dont have $2000 to replace a dash that I caused no part in the failure of. If my airbag deploys on its on while I am driving and I have an accident, there will be a lawsuit.

- Pike Road, AL, USA

Sep 262015

Dashboard on 2008 Acura TL is cracked near the passenger side air bag. The manufactures of Acura claims this is not a safety issue. They are well aware of this defect as it is a problem with several models.this defect could effect the deployment of the airbag due to the fact this area is now being exposed to environmental elements. Please see photo attached below.

- Midland City, AL, USA

Jun 152015

6/16/15 I noticed a straight line crack on the passenger side dashboarrd. It looks like it is where the airbag is kept and I am extremely concerned. I have read others having the same problem online and wanted to report this problem and see if there is a recall. I have never had this problem on any of the Honda's I have driven in the past 30 years, all of which were in central Florida. I would appreciate a response.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jun 152015

As my car sat in a parking garage, not being driven, my dashboard developed two huge and deep cracks right on top of where my passenger airbag is. I called Acura customer service and was told that this is not a safety issue and since there is no recall anywhere on my vehicle that I would have to cover the entire cost of replacement. I do believe this is a safety concern considering the cracks are right on top of my airbag and do not know how this could affect the possible deployment of the airbags if needed.

- Columbus, GA, USA

Nov 132013

TL 6-cyl

I bought a 2008 Acura TL from with 50,000 miles on it. After the first year of owning it I noticed a crack on the right side of the dash where the air bag is. Called Acura they said there is nothing they can do about it but buy a new one really. I see the same complaints in here that I have, so it's nothing we have done to the dash. There needs to be a recall on these dash. Also at 55,000 miles my bluetooth has gone out as well. Again no help buy a new one. Can someone please tell me what is going on with this thank you

- Brenham, TX, USA

Dec 242014

TL 6-cyl

12" vertical crack on passenger side dashboard, found many complaints of same nature on the internet and one here, here is the complaint found here: My 2008 TL dashboard started to crack in August over the passenger airbag area. Now in September there are at least 3 lengthy cracks throughout the dashboard. Although I live in fl. I park in a covered garage every day for work from 10 am to 6:30 pm. I previously owned a 2001 TL and never had the dash crack in the 7 years owned. I feel that the cracking dashboard is a manufacturer defect that should be recognized by Acura.

- Miami, FL, USA

Apr 252014

I own a 2008 Acura TL type-S and the dashboard on the passenger car it completely cracked. It has only been serviced at Acura dealerships and I take extremely care of the car. I always use a sunshade and the official Acura TL's car cover to protect it from the sun. I notice the initial cracking on April 25th, and it was about 6-inches long right on the passenger's airbag. At the time the car had less than 79,000 miles. I made a complaint to the dealership about the evident defective part. It took them a month to get back to me with a negative answer. According to them, it will not affect airbag deployment and the only solution is for me to pay $1,600 for the replacement. However, no checks or studies were done to the car to determine this. I did my research online, and this happens to hundreds of Acura Tls. Therefore, it is obvious that this are defective parts. I do not think that anyone paying for a product should have to pay thousands of dollars a few years later, due to lack of quality of that "premium" product. I would think that after GM¿'s recent lawsuit regarding a small ignition switch, which has caused death to several people, Acura would take more responsibility about their cracked dashboards along the airbags.

- Hollywood, FL, USA

Jan 112014

TL 6-cyl

Driving straight ahead at approximately 25-30 mph, with my family in the vehicle, the front and back driver's side curtain airbags deployed without incident. Fortunately, I was able to maintain control of the vehicle, avoiding any injuries to myself or any of the passengers. I reported the incident to the local Acura dealership that sold me the vehicle and they evaluated the car a few days later determining that "they saw no cause on the vehicle for the deployment of the air bags...nor did they see any way in which the car malfunctioned."

- Warrington, PA, USA

Feb 082009

Hit ice on road and slid off embankment and hit another car. Air bags did not deploy.

- Glendale, AZ, USA