NHTSA — Steering Problems Seal Of

2008 Acura TL steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Acura TL:

2008 Acura TL Owner Comments

Jun 062016

The hands free link works some of the times I have to bump the plastic cover for it to connect to my phone, also the power steering pump and resovor leaks constantly and the Acura dealership will not fix the problem because the car isn't under warranty this should be fixed when you get the hoses replaced because of the recall I think it should be as well. Very dissatisfied how Acura will not address the issues with the hfl and the power steering!!!!

- Easley, SC, USA

May 052015

TL 6-cyl

2008 Acura TL. Consumer writes in regards to power steering feed hose leak recall repairs. The consumer is seeking reimbursement for the repair he paid for.

- Cary, NC, USA

Jun 132015

Received "important safety recall notice" from Acura in June 2012 regarding issues with power steering fluid leaking possibly causing a fire. The vehicle was returned to an authorized Acura dealer for repairs soon after receipt of notice. In June 2015 the same authorized Acura dealer stated after a routine service visit that the steering rack is leaking and the steering pump is leaking. The estimated cost to repair is $2,299. Soon after I wrote letters to both Acura customer service department and the coggin Acura requesting an inquiry and financial assistance to repair the hazardous vehicle. I did not receive a response from coggin Acura; however, Acura customer service department responded with a complete rejection. This is clearly a very dangerous issue, one that was serious enough at one time for a recall. I am the original vehicle owner and have serviced the vehicle at Acura authorized dealer.

- Jensen Beach, FL, USA

Oct 312014

The contact owns a 2008 Acura TL. The contact stated that while driving 15 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The contact had to apply excessive force to the steering wheel in order to turn the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician stated that the power steering fluid and the power steering hose needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 85,000.

- Port Orange, FL, USA

Apr 012014

The contact owns a 2008 Acura TL. The contact stated upon start up he notice smoke and heard a hissing noise underneath the hood. An independent mechanic examined his vehicle and stated the power steering hose deteriorated prematurely, resulting in the power steering fluid leaking on the catalytic converter. The manufacturer was alerted of the failure; however, stated that his VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 12V222000 (steering) or NHTSA campaign number: 08V091000 (steering). The contact had indeed experienced the failure described in the recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 86,000.

- Pendelton, NC, USA

Aug 242012

TL 6-cyl

Please note the persistent problems found in 3rd generation Acura TL vehicles' power steering systems. These problems seem to be reported frequently by Acura TL owners and I believe them to be a result of faulty design and poor manufacturing. These problems effect the performance and safety of the vehicles and I believe should be the basis for a mandatory recall. In my own vehicle, along with having to replace the power steering feed hose due to a previous recall, I have also had to replace the power steering pump and power steering suction hose. I have been told the power steering fluid reservoir leaked and finally that the power steering rack needed replacement. Given the multitude of problems with this system, I called Acura corporate to relay the problem and was told to simply call my local service station to get the problems fixes as they arise. I researched the issue and found that many Acura owners are experiencing the issues I had and continue to have. Researching the issue I have found that the '08 model seems to get the most complaints despite it being the "youngest" of the TL third generation cars. Your own experts can take a look but one mechanic I came across noted the following: "its no wonder that these racks are destined to fail and leak with time. The seals inside must be slowly roasting on every daily commute the system endures with the super hot ps fluid. Over time the rubber is going to warp and deform, breaking the seal in the system, thus negating its sole purpose of holding any ps fluid altogether. Acura must have become aware of this as problem. However, only made a revision on the type-S. if you look at the parts website, you'll see how the type-S had integrated a ps fluid cooler into their system:" I believe Acura knows there design was faulty and knew there would be a very large number of failures and did nothing.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Mar 122012

TL 6-cyl

I have a 2008 Acura TL type-S. there is a safety recall for the power steering hose for this model, however the VIN of my car is not covered. I am experiencing the issue with the power steering hose leaking (verified by an Acura dealership). I called Acura and they said that even though I am experiencing the same issue as cars that are covered under the recall, my car is not covered. I know from reading reports from other TL owners who have had the same issue, the hose on my car does not have the hose with the heat-shield that is installed when the recall work is performed, thus my car has the defective hose and should be covered.

- Madison, NJ, USA

Feb 052012

TL 6-cyl

Hello, I recently got the 2008 Acura TL 3.2 ltr vehicle from used cars dealer. I observed that power steering fluid is leaking and is causing the burnt smell and smoke is coming from the hood. My car has 57750 miles and had no warranty. My vehicle was not on the recall list. I am planning to take the car to Acura dealer and have them take a look at it.

- Austin, TX, USA

Nov 142011

TL 6-cyl

My Acura TL is a type S. they have a recall for the high pressure power steering hose on the TL but not the type S. my high pressure power steering hose is leaking in the same place as all the other Tls (verified by numerous Acura forums). It is leaking directly on the exhaust on the passenger side of the engine compartment. Smoke can be smelled at all speeds while driving. This is definitely a fire hazard. I am a mechanical engineer and an ase certified auto mechanic. I purchased a replacement out of pocket after the dealer denied coverage and repaired it. The replacement hose came with heat shield wrap around the exact place mine is leaking. The recalled hose was due to heat deterioration. My original hose had no heat wrap. If the TL-S is not subject to the recall, why would it need this upgrade?

- Helena, AL, USA

Nov 012009

TL 6-cyl

For the last 1.5 years, my wife and I have been complaining to the Acura dealership in riverside, California about the hard steering on her 2008 Acura TL. The hard steering has already caused daily pain and muscle strain on my wife's shoulder. Our complaints have gone to deaf ears. They checked and always said that "the car is fine, the car is fine." I believe the car is not fine or safe because we presently experience the problem. Isn't there a recall with regards to this steering problem on 2008 Acura TL.

- Riverside, CA, USA