NHTSA — Power Train Problems

2015 Acura TLX (Page 3 of 4)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: 2015 Acura TLX owners just want a transmission that can get from 1st to 5th gear without feeling like a washing machine full of bricks. A class-action lawsuit wants answers for why the car’s transmission jerks and hesitates just months after the transmissions were recalled and replaced for not being able to shift into park.

2015 Acura TLX drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Acura TLX:

2015 Acura TLX Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Jul 222015

TLX

It seems like my brand new Acura Tlx is having issues with it's zf 9-speed transmission. It hesitates and shifts hard going from 2nd to 3rd gear. A lot of Tlx owners having this issue and there is currently a 9-page thread on acurazine about this issue. You can read more about this issue from this thread: acurazine.com/forums/problems-fixes-420/9at-hard-shift-1-2-2-3-A-919230/ I took the Tlx to the dealer and they have done a tcm reset and idle relearn. It seems that for a couple of days, the shifting was smoother after the reset. Unfortunately, the issue then recurred. My Tlx still shifts hard between 2nd and 3rd gear. I'm a little bit concerned about safety. Sometimes, this hard shift or hesitation happens as I am turning left from a stopped position. I am concerned that I wouldn't be able to turn as quickly as I need to be. In fact, this exact thing happened this morning. I am thankful that the car that was going straight saw me and slowed down.

- Cary, NC, USA

Mar 012015

TLX

9 speed zf transmission shifts roughly from 1-2 and 2-3 with 2-3 being the worse. Dealer service states this is normal for the transmission do to torque matching or something like that. I find that hard to believe based on all the other issues this transmission is having in other manufactures vehicles.

- Livermore, CA, USA

Jun 022015

TLX

The contact owns a 2015 Acura Tlx. While driving at 60 mph, the vehicle shook violently. The failure also occurred when shifting from first to second gear. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 550.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Nov 142014

TLX

Trans shifts are very jerky up or down. Sometimes does not downshift when braking. Scares you when you have to slam on the brakes to slow down or throw car into "N". pulling out into traffic can be scary as there is often a delay between acceleration and the engagement of the tranny. Then the jerky shifting occurs. I am not always sure if my car will pull out into traffic quickly and safely without me being rear ended. I will not let my wife drive the car. I will be going to the dealer this week for service. I have waited this long because the sales person told me the car needs 5,000 miles to "break in" the tranny. I have noticed reading on the web that this seems to be a common problem with the new model (8 speed double clutch auto with 4cyl. Engine.) it seems that american Honda has issued a tsb #15-021 (dated April 23, 2015. That addresses the problem, but I keep reading that this fix is not working and that many dealers are telling the customer "it's the way you drive it. We are not getting any bad computer codes". american Honda in concert with their dealership network are covering up a defect that is very dangerous safety problem. This is growing into a major problem...I will begin to document all future dealership paperwork in anticipation of filing a claim under my states lemon law. I will never buy another Acura again. My first was an Acura tsx and it was an excellent car. I am very surprised that Honda has done down the tubes. By the way, this is the first Acura model built in the usa versus Japan. Had I known that, I nwver would have purchased this car.

- Jamestown , NC, USA

Nov 292014

TLX

Car jerks noticeably when shifting from transmissions gears 1 to 2 and then from gears 2 to 3.

- Lewisville, TX, USA

Jan 012015

TLX

The car has times where it stalls or hesitates significantly - this occurs worst in shifting from reverse to drive (there is a several second delay and then a surge forward), and there are hard shifts between 1-2 and 2-3 gears. There are also times where when coasting and you apply throttle, it is unresponsive. There have also been situations where the car downshifts very hard and lurches forward almost uncontrollably (this has only occurred in sport+ mode).

- Flower Mound, TX, USA

Apr 242015

TLX

I leased an Acura Tlx (4-cylinder) in October 2014. Almost since the beginning, the transmission of the car has been very jerky and stiff, especially when cold. There are times when pressing the gas pedal produces no effect, and there have been times when I have pulled out into an intersection and the transmission seemed to shift into neutral, leaving the car motionless for seconds. The hard shifting occurs primarily when the car is cold, and in the lower gears. The feeling of shifting into neutral occurs randomly with no obvious contributing factors. I returned the car to the dealer when the car had about 200 miles on it, and they claimed to find no problems. I have not returned to the dealership since (the car has about 5300 miles on it now), but I will be returning in the near future.

- Brambleton, VA, USA

Apr 222015

TLX

To whom it may concern, I own a 2015 Acura Tlx (4 cylinder model with 8 speed automatic transmission) which I purchased a few months ago and would like to file the following complaint: 1.on stop and go traffic the transmission is jerky (almost every time). This means that when the transmission shifts, it creates a shutter that reverberates throughout the car. 2. after driving 1 mile or so and coming to a complete stop, especially during cold start, the transmission lurches forward very hard ( like someone rear ended) doesn't happen all the time but happens often to dislike (four times total). Very scary when you feel like you may rear end someone. 3. when slowing down, say coming to a traffic light and not coming to complete stop and making right or left turn at say about 10mph speed or so, and hit on the gas pedal to speed up, the transmission hesitates and doesn't know which gear to engage thus making very jerky feel. 4. every time cold start, transmission shifts in 1st and 2nd gear are very hard. Dealership claimed to test drive the vehicle and then proceeded to tell me that this was "normal" for the transmission to do that. I find this very unacceptable! this car needs to be recalled and they need to find a resolution because this is a severe safety issue and a threat to my own personal safety. Acura, take some responsibility and fix this issue, I'm not the only one experiencing these problems.

- East Brunswick, NJ, USA

Oct 012014

TLX

I leased this vehicle in September of 2014 and immediately had concerns with the transmission. The shifts between gears were extremely rough and choppy. When the vehicle was at a stop, I would press on the gas to move into traffic, but the vehicle would not respond; instead, the rpms would rev all the way up to 4-5 and after a couple seconds, I would be lurched into oncoming traffic. I have almost gotten into two significant accidents due to this issue. I have now had to change my driving completely to allow for more time in an intersection to avoid being seriously hurt or killed. The dealership and Honda motor vehicles both refuse to be responsible for this issue and despite my vehicle being in for repairs four times now, claim they are "unable to duplicate the issue." Rather than taking responsibility for this issue, they accuse me of driving "aggressively." Please do not buy or lease this vehicle. It is a major safety issue that the company will not/has not resolved.

- Elk Grove Village, IL, USA

Mar 202015

TLX

It is shifting hard when it downshifts, it is slamming into gear when downshifting. When starting from a dead stop it sometimes will just rev up and not move, you have to let off accelerator then push again to get it to move. When cold the transmission jerks during normal shifting. This does not happen all the time, is only does it occasionally, it is at dealership right now and they say nothing is wrong.

- Panama City Beach, FL, USA

Oct 202014

TLX

I least a 2015 V6 Tlx in 10/16/2014. Few days later I started felling the transmission shifting roughly and jerky from 2nd to 3rd gear causing the car to jump forward. This happens almost every time especially in stop and go traffic.another issue am having with this brand new car is the unresponsiveness in acceleration and the delay while trying to merge on the freeway or trying to change lanes passing another vehicle. By the time it accelerates, am either close to the vehicle in front of me or the approaching vehicle is close to rear ends me. Also while accelerating through an intersection, this car fells like there is now power or the gear in neutral mode. These are very dangerous issues am facing with my daily driver. I don't fell the safety in this car for me or my family, especially we are expecting a baby in couple of weeks. Acura dealer keep on saying this is the way the car is and they have no solution.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Sep 302011

TLX

Transmission rough abnormal shifts at RPM 1000, stop and go driving.

- Mechanicsville, MD, USA

Nov 182014

TLX

Did my latest software update that came out on 02/09/15. Unfortunately it did not fix the problem. I am big Honda/Acura fan but the new Tlx 8 speed dual clutch transmission is a big letdown. This is my first Honda product that I am tired of and want to be replaced. Here are some of the scenarios that the transmission does not act normal and could be dangerous long lag and heavy clunk shifting from "R" to "D"; delay during acceleration after momentarily letting off gas - engine revs up and then the car slams into the gear that it finally selects - especially dangerous when coming out of a corner or attempting to accelerate after yielding in an intersection; occasional hard jerk when stopping (like the car has been rear-ended); random rough shifting at slow speeds, etc. These problems are not just uncomfortable, they're extremely dangerous! 2. after driving 1 mile or so and coming to a complete stop, especially during cold start, the transmission lurches forward very hard ( like someone rear ended) doesn't happen all the time but happens often to dislike. 4. when slowing down, say coming to a traffic light and not coming to complete stop and making right or left turn at say about 10mph speed or so, and hit on the gas pedal to speed up, the transmission hesitates and doesn't know which gear to engage thus making very jerky feel.

- Middle River, MD, USA

Mar 232015

TLX

Long lag and heavy clunk shifting from "R" to "D"; delay during acceleration after momentarily letting off gas - engine revs up and then the car slams into gear; occasional hard jerk after stopping (like the car has been rear-ended); random rough up and down shifting at slow speeds (under 40mph) car was purchased new and has had these issues since purchase.

- Glens Falls, NY, USA

Nov 052014

TLX

I leased my Acura Tlx V6 advanced 2 wheel drive starting in September 2014. Right away, within the first week I started noticing performance issues. This vehicle has an extremely hard shift between 2nd and 3rd gear, causing the car to lurch forward unexpectedly. It is particularly noticeable in "sport" mode. It happens more consistently in stop and go traffic, which coincides with a situation that allows for less reaction time. It also has serious acceleration hesitation throughout all speeds. There have been multiple situations where while merging in traffic or accelerating onto a major highway I have almost been hit because my vehicle was unresponsive. My car has been into Acura twice so far for this issue. The first time I was told it was a "known" issue but there was no fix. The second time I took my car in for the safety recall Acura "changed out the transmission fluid" which was supposed to help - and it didn't. I have another appointment next week for the same issues. Acura client care acknowledged that this is a known problem but that Acura corporate does not have any solutions and it must be taken up with the dealership. The dealership just acknowledges the problem and says to take it up with Acura corporate. This is a dangerous driving situation and I do not feel safe in this vehicle. Acura obviously rolled this car out of the factory knowing they had issues (hence their launch delay in the first place) but were willing to take advantage of the consumer and had no concern for their customers' safety. Buyer beware - do not purchase a Tlx.

- St. Petersburg, FL, USA

Dec 092014

TLX

The vehicle has a bad hesitation which makes maneuvering in and out of traffic dangerous. Several times while trying to accelerate and pass another vehicle I was almost rear-ended because of this hesitation. After several seconds of hesitating the vehicle lunges forward the RPM indicator shows a drastic increase and the engine fails to down shift properly. I have also noticed after I park my car and get out I notice a burning smell resonating from underneath the vehicle. I have brought my vehicle is for service the dealership has told me there are flaws in the Tlx model and there is nothing they can do. I have also contacted Acura corporate and they have been unresponsive. My feeling is the issues plaguing this car could pose a danger to the driver and other vehicles.

- West Palm Beach, FL, USA

Feb 282015

TLX

The contact owns a 2015 Acura Tlx. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle jerked and changed gear aggressively. The vehicle was taken to the dealer several times for the failure. The dealer downloaded the computer software but the failure persisted. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 5,000.

- Jackson Redmond , WA, USA

Mar 022015

TLX

The car lunges forward when I take my foot off the gas and have very little time to apply the brake. As a result, the car seems to pull forward and require additional braking to stop. Very rough shift between second and third gear. There is also a delay or hesitation with acceleration. The dealer told me they could not pull any diagnostic error codes, all the other cars on the lot they tested have the same problem and they received numerous complaints. The dealer is waiting on Acura to come up with a solution.

- Chester Heights, PA, USA

Sep 132014

TLX

Car jumps when shifting between 1st and 2nd and 2nd and 3rd. If I take my foot off of the accelerator right before it shifts, it shifts and jumps forward. I own the V6 advanced 2 wheel drive model.

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

Sep 162014

TLX

The safety incident(s) to be reported: 1) vehicle seemed to jump into neutral¯ when decelerating almost to a stop (e.g. to make a turn) resulting in the engine revving and no power when the accelerator is pressed. Tach did not move and the transmission display still reads D. this left me in the middle of an intersection with no power being delivered to the wheels. There was no oncoming traffic. Unfortunately this has happened repeatedly when the engine is cold. So far there have been no accidents. Each of the following safety problems are also ongoing: 2) intermittent and variable duration hesitation from a stopped position (or slowed down to around 10mph or less and then accelerating) makes it dangerous to turn swiftly across oncoming traffic. 3) intermittent and variable duration slipping when trying to accelerate from a slow (10mph or less) coast makes it dangerous to perform any maneuver that requires a swift and reliable response from the transmission. 4) intermittent and variable duration revving between gears when kicking down to try to pass another vehicle makes such maneuvers risky.

- Portland, OR, USA