NHTSA — Steering Problems

1.7

2006 Acura TSX steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Acura TSX:

2006 Acura TSX Owner Comments

Jun 302016

TSX

The morning of Thursday June 30th 2016 I tuned the car on and had an odd sound that even when I turned or drove it sounded like a bus! the steering was hard yet I still managed to get to work and home safely. My husband said the power steering fluid was depleted and added fluid. I then took it to work and was running ok no more sounds and I was content. That afternoon though I started up again and then saw the trail of fluid running down from under the car. The noise and stiffness of the steering wheel was back. Needless to say I almost couldn't make a turn to get into my home.

- Visalia, CA, USA

May 202016

TSX

The contact owns a 2006 Acura Tsx. While driving 35 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering rack was leaking fluid from both sides and needed to be repaired. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 95,000.

- Gaithersburg, MD, USA

Jan 012014

TSX

Power steering has been affected due to defective rack and pinion. Car pulls to the right and poses a safety issue on highway. Steering has also locked up due to the power steering leak while driving. A very frightening situation when going faxt speeds. Also, the front passenger airbag started cracking a few years ago and am questioning weather it would deploy in a collision.

- Durham, NC, USA

Apr 162016

TSX

First off I am unable to lock and unlock my passenger door using the switches or the remote key fob on my 2006 Acura Tsx. After researching on the nets I see that this doesn't just apply to me and that this is an issue others have had. The dealer stated it is the actuator. Secondly I am having an issue with what the dealer service stated is a rack in pinion issue. They say it needs to be replaced due to power steering seeping/leaking and that this would be the reason for steering problems. Again on NHTSA this seems to be an issue with this model year. I notice vibration and slight pulling to right when driving and drops of lubricant in my garage. When I reach excess speeds of 55 I have the pulling and vibration. I now mainly take side streets due to the hazard and no funds to fix this issue.

- Cordova, TN, USA

Mar 032016

TSX

The contact owns a 2006 Acura Tsx. While driving at various speeds, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the power steering pump around the hoses leaked all over the alternator and caused it to fail. The power steering pump and alternator were replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 144,000.

- Monks Corner, SC, USA

Nov 202015

TSX

After purchasing the car from a used dealer. The steering became very hard to turn as I was leaving a local retailers parking lot. I took it back to the dealer who assisted in getting the power steering fixed and now the car is starting to do it again. The steering is making funny noises and now is becoming hard to turn to the right. I fear the need to take it to the auto shop again. This is terrible!

- Winston Salem, NC, USA

Apr 022014

TSX

The contact owns a 2006 Acura Tsx. The contact stated that the power steering fluid was leaking. In addition, the vehicle overheated. The vehicle was previously taken to the dealer for NHTSA campaign number: 10V174000 (steering) however the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to three separate independent mechanics where it was diagnosed the steering hose, water pump hose, and serpentine bolt had all malfunctioned due to the heat and leaking of the steering hose repairs. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 126,169.

- Bowie, MD, USA

Sep 052015

TSX

I started my Acura Tsx 2006 as usual and went to the store 3 miles away but when I started the car after the store to go home first I heard a noise and after that it became almost impossible to turn the car left or right. I was lucky to get home without accident.

- Fort Lee, NJ, USA

Aug 202015

TSX

Drove the car about 35 miles from home, as I was parking heard a noise while steering left and right. Within a few minutes, the steering was hard. Drove it home by the time I got home the steering was no longer working. Checked steering fluid.no more fluid. Totally dry. Brought it to the midas and and to dealer and was told the steering rack is leaking, $3000 to repair. They said the rubbers on rack went bad. A few people ( mechanics) that said this is not normal for a 2006. I have found that this seems to be a major issue with Acura 2006 cars.

- Waianae, HI, USA

Sep 032013

TSX 4-cyl

Power steering rack failed unexpectedly. Car developed a noise without any warning, and the steering became hard to turn. Made it to the repair center (dealership) without any problems, but the steering wheel was really hard to turn by the time I got there (with a drive no longer than 10 miles). Looking at online forums, it appears that an abnormal number of people have needed power steering racks between 90K-130K miles due to leaks. This appears abnormal, as my understanding is that a rack should last for the life of the car. This makes me wonder if it has anything to do with the power steering leak tsb that Acura has for these cars.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Oct 102012

TSX 4-cyl

Started the car pulled off at slow speed(15-20). Car started making noises are I turned the corner. Appeared to be noises made for power steering. Parked the car up put power steering fluid in and the noise stop. Driving again the noise appeared again. Took it to the mechanic found out that the rack and pinion went bad.

- Frederiksted, VI, USA

Dec 202009

TSX

Ongoing leak of power steering fuel which caused smoke and odor of burning. Power steering fluid would drain and had to be replaced frequently. Upon inspection by dealer, power steering hose was cracked and needed replacement, this was completed at dealership.

- Lakeland, FL, USA

Jul 142009

TSX

Going around a turn my valet key on my key ring was lodged into a screw hole in my steering wheel causing my key to come out of my ignition and turn off my car. I was about to go into a curb but I was able to use my brakes.

- Hampstead, MD, USA

Jun 012006

TSX

My vehicle's steering wheel makes a moaning noise when the steering wheel turns left or right a low speeds. The Acura dealer replaced the cable reel inside the steering wheel hub but the noise continues. I am afraid this noise is an indication that something inside the steering wheel will wear out eventually and cause loss of vehicle control.

- Cave Creek, AZ, USA