NHTSA — Engine Problems

2009 Acura TSX engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Acura TSX:

2009 Acura TSX Owner Comments

Jul 072016

I took my vehicle in for repairs and was told my pistons were bad because of oil consumption I then got intouch with Acura I took in to there orland location and was told that I didn't qualify because it was 125,000 or 8 years of ownership first owner had car in 08 I purchashed it in 2015 but the oil consumption is a manufacturing problem why am I stuck with paying and I was never notified of the recall I found out on my own

- Chicago Heights, IL, USA

Nov 062015

Vehicle burns excessive amounts of oil, 1 quart every 1200 miles. Acura will not fix the issue and says this is acceptable. I have already incurred additional repair costs due to this problem including replacing the severely stretched timing chain and am also constantly adding oil to the car every week. I realize this is not a safety complaint but Acura should be held accountable in some way for this.

- Hudson, NY, USA

Nov 242015

My car is consuming excessive amounts of oil, and Acura has told me this is normal. I have added three quarts since my last oil change, and Acura is doing nothing to remedy the problem. Even after issuing a warranty extension, and acknowledging that this is an issue, they refuse to fix it. This is completely unsafe, and bad business practice for a car I thought was going to be a reliable, long-lasting vehicle.

- Tracy, CA, USA

Nov 212015

Experiencing high engine oil consumption. My 2009 Acura Tsx is around 88K miles. Since around the 75K mile mark I have been experiencing higher than normal oil consumption rates. I regularly change my oil at the 3,000 mi mark and once had the auto shop ask me why I had waited so long to change my oil. I had explained to them that it was at the 3K mi mark and that I was right on time for my service. The auto shop had then gone on to explain to me that I had burned through more than 3qts of oil at that point. Consuming 1 or more quarts of oil per 1,000mi is not acceptable. So I think this experience is unique to me but come to find out Acura has issued a notice of a warranty extension to Acura owners experiencing this issue. After receiving a notice from Acura regarding high engine oil consumption I was directed to take my car into the Acura dealership for an oil consumption test. I paid a premium price to have my oil change completed by the dealer, I had my oil levels marked and was told to bring the car back after 1,000 miles so they could test my oil consumption. After the 1,000 mi mark I returned back to the dealer to be told that I had used over 1 quart of oil in my 1,000 miles driven and that this was considered acceptable to Acura and they would not be extending my warranty or fixing my piston/engine issue. This is completely unacceptable oil consumption rates for an automobile. After each oil change I receive around the 2,000 mi mark my engine makes a very loud noise while changing gears. Once the oil change is completed it goes away until at least the next 2K miles are driven. This needs to be addressed!!! Acura has sets the standard for oil consumption rates at an unrealistic level and is putting Acura owners safety at risk!!!!

- Rochester, NY, USA

Mar 092015

My 09 Acura Tsx pings whenever you moderately or heavily step on the gas. Acura/Honda knows this is a widespread issue and needs to fix it. This is prematurely wearing engine components out. My car currently has 78,000 miles on it. Not acceptable!

- Raleigh, NC, USA