2012 Acura TSX steering NHTSA complaints: Steering

NHTSA — Steering Problems

2012 Acura TSX steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Acura TSX:

2012 Acura TSX Owner Comments

Jan 072017

TSX

I had an accident in the snow and slid into the guardrail while turning. Not much body damage, but the steering completely locked. Was stuck in the road for 2 hours with the police having to block off around me. Had it towed to my mechanic. He could not do anything with it because he said it was electrical and could not clear the code that was coming up and needed to go the dealership.had to have it towed to the dealership. They are replacing the steering.

- Woburn, MA, USA

Jan 132017

TSX

I had just finished right turn and when driving straight ahead, the warning light for eps came on and all assist lost. Drove 3 miles home, turned car off in driveway while calling dealer and when immediately restarted, assist returned. Drive about one mile and lost assist again. On way to dealer, straight highway driving, some assist returned but wheel would not center straight ahead. The failure occurred out of the blue with no indication before hand. My Tsx has 52,078 miles on it. Was told by dealer the eps module needed to be replaced @ ~$1200. Without significent strength, driver's safety at significant risk.

- Dartmouth, MA, USA

Dec 172016

TSX

While driving, in motion, the electronic power steering (eps) failed. Dash indicator light displayed "check power steering system". steering wheel was incredibly difficult to maneuver. I have driven cars equipped with traditional belt & pump-driven power steering systems that failed before with not much issue except reasonably extra effort to maneuver, but the higher level of strength required after the Tsx's esp failed was shockingly greater. The car was diagnosed at an Acura dealership that confirmed the eps module had failed. This module is basically a computer, so it cannot be given regular maintenance or monitored. The consumer will never have any signs of failure until it actually fails.

- Honolulu, HI, USA

Nov 092016

TSX

Eps (electric power steering) light come on while driving and lock steering. Error code: 32-09. Eps light will turn off after restart engine but will come on again and lock steering again while the vehicle is moving. I brought my car to local shop to run diagnostic and they suggest that this is bad manufacture issue and suggest to contact Acura to fix it under its warranty. I have call Acura dealer and they said they are not cover it and I have to paid to get it fix. It is a really dangerous problem and can cause major accident if it was turning and eps light on and lock my steering wheel. I attached receipt report from auto shop. Thanks

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 172016

TSX

My 14 year old daughter, who's learning to drive was behind the wheel when the car steering wheel locked up and wouldn't allow her to turn the vehicle. Luckily we hadn't approached the highway yet or who knows what would have happened while driving on the highway. We were backing out of our driveway and she said the wheel felt funny. We were a mile from our home entering a round and heading onto the highway when she said the wheel wouldn't turn and she panicked. I grabbed the wheel and it wouldn't budge. We came to a complete stop in the round about and thank god no one was entering or exiting it. I had to shut the car off after she stopped the car that was sideways in the street.

- Shawnee, KS, USA

Aug 062015

TSX

Upon starting vehicle I noticed intermittent "check power steering system". during drive cycle I encountered failure of electric power steering assist, very difficult to steer vehicle. Went to dealer for service, they witnessed same symptoms stated above, but intermittent check light will not produce a fault code, technician stated it seems like a ground problem. Unable to drive vehicle due to unsafe condition, very difficult to steer, would not be able to avoid an emergency while driving because of the amount of force needed to steer vehicle.

- Oceanside, CA, USA