2002 Audi A4 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Audi A4:

2002 Audi A4 Owner Comments

Mar 082014

I am writing regarding a sad story about my 2002 Audi A4 quattro 3.0 sedan. While I realize that the car is not new, and with 152,000 miles on the road; I am still disappointed with the series of events that has happened to me, not once, but twice now! about a week ago, as I turned the engine on, I heard a loud knocking like something had been hit and fallen apart in the engine. At the same time, the check engine light came on (flashing). I took it to my trusted mechanic. At this point, I am thinking that the issue was with a coil ? but not really since they have been replaced and not that long ago, might I add! while the car was being inspected, the mechanic heard a noise coming from camshaft adjusters. Once they opened the case, they found screws lose that had literally fallen off and broken. The camshaft adjustment housing was also damaged, amongst other parts (I have pictures). How can this be possible? after all, the bolts are encased, and it is not like anyone messed with them. The sad part is that the same had happened on the other side a year ago.

- Pawtucket, RI, USA