2004 Audi A4 miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Audi A4:

2004 Audi A4 Owner Comments

Apr 102015

Rear window of convertible soft top for 2004 Audi A4 cabriolet. An old issue often suffered by Audi cabriolets from 2003-2009. Claimed to be caused by the adhesive that Audi uses. This can be caused by keeping the car outside instead of in a garage as prolonged exposure to sunlight causes the adhesive to give away and fail, causing the rear window to separate from the outer layer of the top and drop. While the window is still technically attached to the inner layer of the top, the window no longer protects against water. As a result rain can seep into the non water resistant inner layer of the top and then cause water damage to the rear seats. This is the case with my own car and with a large enough number of cabriolets that this should have been settled frankly, a good 10 years ago when the first cases were being noticed. I have as many others have, attempted to use a temporary fix and as a result, there is a clear industrial adhesive around the top and rear window to attempt to fix this, it fails with continued use.

- Houston, TX, USA

Apr 032016

Premature rear window leak due to glue problem which results in replacing complete top dealership said window was repaired before on previous owner.

- Hilton Head Island, SC, USA

Jul 012004

A4 4-cyl

I have a brand new 2004 Audi A4avantquattro 1.8. on July 1, with 2389 miles on the car, I had a blowout of my right rear tire, which is a Goodyear M&S R235/17 low profile high performance tire. I never had a sensation of hitting anything on the road, but had only seconds to get from the fast lane of I-5 in downtown sacramento, ca across 5 lanes of freeway traffic and around a caltrans maintenence crew on the shoulder, to safety. By the time I did, the tire tread had completely separated on both sides of the wheel 360 degrees. Six days later, while having the tire replaced at a local tire store, the check engine light came on in the car. I took it to the dealer at my next opportunity, with now 2750 miles on the car. I was told that the filler hose to the gas tank was punctured, requiring the replacement of the entire gas tank, as it is all one peice, that the wires connecting the fuel system to the central computer were damaged and had to be replaced, that a hole in the sheath around the shock absorber on that wheel had been punctured, requiring possible replacement of the entire shock, and that the entire wheel liner on that wheel was gone and had to be replaced. The estimated cost for this is somewhere between $1600-2000. Neither Audi, nor the dealership, thus far has taken any responsibility for the design flaws that created the possibility for such damage from a flat tire. I frequently drive alone, and we live in a high fire danger area. I was driving around with a leaky gas tank for 5 days before the "check engine" light even went on, not to mention the fact that a faulty shock absorber could have caused my all wheel drive to fail. I feel that this car is unsafe for me to drive.

- Nevada City, CA, USA