2006 Audi A4 lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Audi A4:

2006 Audi A4 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 8)

Jun 212016

My headlights flicker while driving mostly the left but does intermittently go from left to right. Unable to drive car at night. I just bought the car from drive time and the issue started as soon as I left the dealership

- Simi Valley, CA, USA

Aug 072015

Headlight failure, right dipped headlight. Intermittent problem seems to be related to slow speed and or vibration. Multiple service visits at Audi dealer, problem not resolved.

- Dacono, CO, USA

May 072016

I was driving on highway at night going at 70 mph and suddenly I received left dip light warning and after 2 minutes received right dip light warning. I quickly have to reset the light after which both left and right lights came up. After some 20-30 min it happened again.there ere high chances of fatal crash at 70 mph on a highway at night. I was lucky enough to escape this. This issue is intermittent but extremely dangerous for safety of passengers.

- Bloomington, IL, USA

Oct 022015

Headlights will flicker / turn off intermittently when braking or traveling over small bumps resulting in a loss of vision at night. This will sometimes give the error "dipped headlight" and cause the headlight to turn off and remain off until it is reset.

- Grand Blanc, MI, USA

May 132015

The driver side head light stop working

- Mount Vernon, NY, USA

Apr 252015

Headlights spontaneously go out while driving. Sometimes just the left, sometimes just the right, sometimes both. The dash reads "right headlight dipped" or "left headlight dipped". to correct the error one must turn headlights completely off and then on again resulting in a few seconds of darkness. Obviously this is very dangerous at night at highway speeds. There is no apparent repair for this problem and from extensive research seems to be a design issue.

- Olympia, WA, USA

Aug 302014

Right after I purchased the car I started having problems, especially with the lights. My right headlight would consistently turn off, then some time later come back on. This would happen periodically, but the worst is when I am driving 60mph+ at night and lose all my lights. Running lights, headlights, high beams, fog lights, all of it. This happens consistently every week. About a month after purchase my right headlight went out and never came back on. I received an error on my dash that states "right dipped headlight." I checked it out and decided to change the bulb. Well, I did and that didn't work. I looked up more into it online and it's quite an expensive fix, and it's not guaranteed to even work. My headlight is out and about every week sometimes multiple times a week my lights completely go out unexpectedly. This is a huge problem with lots of people I discovered on google.

- Tacoma, WA, USA

Jan 142015

The left headlight of my 2006 Audi A4 quattro has a head light problem as follows: 1. the left headlight flickers 2. it then turns itself off 3. the message "left dipped headlight" appears 4. the message is changed to a sign indicating that the lightbulb has failed. This problem happens every time I need to turn on my head lights, I took to dealer, they are not sure what part might be bad, so they recommend to replace almost all parts involve with that, and its costly. I checked on line to find a solution, I figured out it's not only me, there are hundreds of Audi drivers having the same problem in here and even in europe.

- Cypress, CA, USA

Dec 202013

A4 4-cyl

Both headlights keep going out at random times. Sometimes it says right dipped headlight and sometimes left dipped headlight and sometimes both.

- Murphy, TX, USA

Oct 062014

A4 4-cyl

When I drive my car with the headlights on one randomly turns off and then I get a display in the dash that's says "left headlight dipped" this also happens to the right side. I have to turn the knob kn the dashboard on the off position and turn them back on the on position and they start working again. This is ridiculous and unsafe. Please help. Also my engine is burning oil very fast I just had an oil change and drove the car for 80 miles and the dip stick already shows half way full. I had the head gasket and vacuum pump gasket replaced but it still hasn't fixed the problem.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Aug 082014

A4 6-cyl

August 2014, driving at night, highway speeds (65mph+) both left and right headlights flickered and went out, no illumination. Took several tries to reset by light control switch. Would reset, then flicker and both headlights out. Very dangerous situation, was close to home and able to get there ok. Vehicle is in at service for repair.

- Gloucester, MA, USA

Jun 172014

Headlight went out caused light to come on.

- Bellevue, WA, USA

Apr 152014

I was driving and had the right headlight go out. The fault indicator stated that the right dipped headlight had a fault, then that the bulb was bad. I kept driving, as I thought that I could see well enough with the left light. After a while, the light came back on. Shortly after that, the same thing happened with the left dipped headlight. Again, I kept driving, as I thought that I could see well enough with the right light. Shortly after that, I entered the interstate, and increased my speed to about 65 mph, and drove in the middle lane as I anticipated going to the left side when the road split in about three miles and then exiting shortly afterward. Then both lights went out. I had to signal to go to the right side of the road, through two lanes of fairly heavy traffic, and stopped. Luckily, another driver who had noticed that I was having problems offered to drive slowly in front of me to allow me to continue until I could get off the highway. I thought that I would be able to drive slowly on off-highway streets to get home, but both lights came back on. Since that time, I have had three other similar incidents. I am afraid to drive the car on the highway at night.

- Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Feb 082012

A4 4-cyl

The left headlight dips occasionally, without warning, randomly. Then you have to turn off the lights to hopefully correct/reset the headlight. It's clearly a safety hazard.

- Evanston, IL, USA

Nov 262013

A4 4-cyl

I was driving on I-45 S to houston and at 9 pm, I tried turning my front fog light on as it was getting foggy occasionally. I was at 75 mph speed on right lane, all of a sudden all lights went out, I immediately pulled over to the median and after playing around some kind of light came back, drove to nearest exit to gas station about a mile further and checked all lights, it was working fine now. I have read similar kind of complaint here and not sure if it is getting attention. Does death has to occur before nhsta and Audi listen to this problem. 75 mph in interstate at night without lights on, can you imagine my situation. It can easily cause death and damage. Fix this problem because it is not bulb issue, it is manufacturer defect.

- Rapid City, SD, USA

Aug 032012

2006 Audi A4 dipped headlight / flicker / problem. Left headlight will flicker and go out, happens at random, at speeds from 0 to 70 mph. Audi dealer said the gas level in the headlamp is low, recommended not to repair at this time, to address, turn lights off and back on when it occurs. Have had to do this multiple times within a 10 minute period to keep the headlamp on.

- Amherst, OH, USA

Dec 292011

The car was parked overnight. Once the temperature reach approximately 40 degrees, the brake lights activated, but deactivated when the car was started and I pressed the brake pedal. Over the course of a few months, this malfunction completely drained my battery.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jan 072013

After the headlights were activated, the left hand light flickered then went out. The display area gave me a warning that the headlight bulb was out. It happens each night and is remedied by deactivating the headlights then turning them on again. I had both headlights changed in June, but the right hand headlight does the same now.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Feb 042013

A4 4-cyl

Headlights flicker and sometimes emit a warning that states "tipped headlight" which triggers the car to immediately turn the affected headlight off--this can occur while the car is parked or in motion. It usually happens to me when I am driving, but there is no pattern and it seems to be getting worse. The only way to fix it is to turn the headlights off and then back on, which is very dangerous!!! there is currently a class action lawsuit against Audi where they will refund a portion of your repairs for the faulty hid headlights on the 2006 Audi A4, but Audi still claims that they are not liable and not at fault ( please force Audi to recall this headlight problem--I should not have to pay my local dealer close to a thousand dollars for something that is obviously defective and should be recalled due to safety reasons (the class action suit only refunds repairs prior to August 2013 and won't even cover the entire cost). There are a lot of 2006 Audi A4's out there with this problem--the complaints are all over multiple message boards, and there were obviously enough people out there with this problem or the class action suit would not have been approved.

- Carson City, NV, USA

Feb 192013

The front headlights keep flickering on and off while driving.Audi: There are two separate conditions that both occur in vehicles with bi-xenon, with or without adaptive lighting (afs): One xenon light on either side sporadically flickers or flashes and goes out. When headlamps are turned off and on again or at ignition cycle, the headlamps may function properly or exhibit the same behavior; one xenon light on one side fails permanently.

- Glendale, CA, USA