9.0

2009 Audi A4 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Audi A4:

2009 Audi A4 Owner Comments

Feb 042013

A4 2.0L

click to see larger images

excessive oil consumption excessive oil consumption excessive oil consumption

My Audi needed oil every 3 to 400 miles, and still does. I lost the engine and went to Paul Miller Audi in NJ and spent over $7000 for an engine fix, after that I had to spend a few more thousand dollars to see why car is losing so much oil and constantly fixing stuff. I also had purchased an extended warranty from EFG which when time came to use, they said the engine failure condition was pre-existing at 53,000 miles and they would not cover the loss. Therefore I had to pay the $7000 to get the car back.

I still own the car but probably will sell it for nothing just to get rid off it. The car needs a Qt of oil every 3 to 400 miles. The car runs terrible. I am so disgusted with Audi and broke as well. I would appreciate your help in this matter ASAP. My phone number (973) 214.6698 and my email maryam.connelly@gmail.com.

Please help. Thanks, Maryam Connelly (973) 214.6698 maryam.connelly@gmail.com

- , Randolph, NJ, USA

Sep 022014

A4 1.8L Turbo

The car has been a problem since day one. Broke down on ride from NJ to IL in the middle of nowhere PA. dealer towed it and I rented a car to get home. Jack Daniels Audi, was the worst dealer experience ever. I had to have NJ consumer affairs take action to get rental car money. I had to fly to PA to pick up the car than drive to IL at my expense, I only owned the car a week prior to break down. Audi dealer in PA fixed the car, and it needed a quart of oil to get home 800 miles. the car drank oil, 1 qt per 1000 miles. Audi told me "that's how they are" and it was disturbing that it always needed oil. I took it to Audi dealer in IL several times for "an oil leak fix" at least 3 "fixes". I needed the oil changed and a new battery, only 3 years old, and again the dealer did an oil leak fix. I was told drive 100 miles and come back, but during the 100 mile run the A4 died. It was towed back to Audi, again, and I was told the timing belt and tensioner failed. It would be replaced under warranty. a week later, when my one day repair still was not done, i called and I was told the engine must be rebuilt due to excessive oil consumption. a month later my car is done. I asked audi to take it back, they said no, asked them to ship me the car again they said no, I know full well no audi could make a cross country trip, and I don't want any more problems. This is THE WORST CAR I HAVE EVER OWNED!!!

- , Ventura, CA, USA

Aug 162013

A4 Turbo Sedan 4D Quattro Premium 2.Ot

The Audi/VW 2.0T engine needs to be recalled now for excessive oil consumption.

I took my 2009 A4 with this engine to the dealer for excessive oil consumption right before the 50K mile warranty ran out. They ran the dealer consumption test and concluded that the engine was in specification. However to be nice, they changed some seals under warranty (but of course not the expensive piston/rings which is the real problem).

The first complaint is that per their spec, an owner can use 8 quarts of oil between the recommended oil changes (do the math). No way should any car manufacturer be legally allowed to say that 1 quart per 1000 mi (or 600 mi per my manual) is normal for a 2009 car with moderate mileage.

Now my engine has 65K miles on it and is out of warranty. The problem has gotten got much, much worst. Now I have to put in a quart of the Audi recommended oil in every 360 miles!. If I need to accelerate hard to merge into traffic, so much smoke blows out the tail pipe that I am worried about the vision of the cars behind me.

So the second complaint is that this engine needs to be recalled because it is a super heavy polluter. All that $8 per quart oil smoke is going into our environment and our lungs!

Audi, do the right thing and take care of your problems, your customers, and the environment!!

- , Tampa, FL, USA

Aug 092013

A4 A4 2.0L

2009 audi A4 2.0T Quattro with 68k miles. I just had the oils change less than 300miles ago and now the oil indicator are showing low, again. So far this is really annoying to see the car drain that much oils and just have it services and checked by the audi dealership. There are no leak or any kind happen to the car. dealer diagnose everything and find out the car is in excellent condition. This is my first time owning a German car. I do love the car but if the car and everything but if it keep burning oil like this much. I think I need to start trading it in for a car. So far this is the second time seeing this light come on with less than 1k miles. if this is thing continuous to do this it probably be my last audi. Yes, audi manufacturing my last audi. If they do not fixed the issue. I would high recommended new buyer that plan to buy any audi. Make sure you can afford the oils before buying this car. Because this car really burn oil. And I mean a lot. I think this is the biggest mistake buying this car without know this issue. Audi you should be really ashamed of your product and reputation. when building car like this. People need a reliable car to last a long time. Not just away checking the oils indicator. What make me mad is I just bought the car less than 1 week. If I know this is a serious issue I would not buy this car. I wish there is a way I can returned the car back to the dealer. For those audi A4 owner out there. I now know how you feel after I went to this same issue. Do your research first before buying any audi. Or else you will be post this ads like myself.

- , Everett, WA, USA

Apr 042011

A4 Prestige 4 Turbo

Add one quart of oil light started to appear around 47,000 miles. Called dealer immediately and was told this is standard for Audi A4. Since that time at approximately 400 miles prior to the next oil change, the ADD oil light comes on. IF this is standard for an Audi A4, why wasn't I told this by the salesperson. Went to four Audi dealerships and this was never mentioned. Would not have purchased if I was told this! Any one else experiencing this problem????

- , Southboro, MA, USA

Apr 092009

A4 S-line 2.0L Turbo

Audi America indicted this was a normal oil consumption for this turbo charged engine. I disagreed since the oil change interval recommended was every 15,000 miles I would use 10 quarts of oil between oil changes and the car only hold 5 quarts?

They didn't fix the problem so I won't buy another Audi ever. I have owed BMW and Mercedes and never never been treated like this. I traded the car in for an E-class Mercedes and we are very happy. I did drive the A-6 just and was not impressed. I thought I'd give them one last chance but as it turns out the E-class is a better car

- , Greenville, SC, USA